IGNORED

Moyes And His Multi-position Players?

What are people thoughts on the fact that moyes is obsessed with players having several positions. I am personally finding it takes away from the whole team performance because players aren't alowed to fully develop in one position. Look at Yobo when he first came in moyes played him all across the back and in midfield and he was considered a squad player now he has a settled position he is a first team regular. Lescott is the same he is a quality left back but much more accomplished at cb. Neville is the obvious one with not be inmg able to cut it in midfield but a solid rb. I fear that jags and Stevie P may have the same problem with the fact that moyes won't pick them in opne position.

I agree utility players are useful but we need atleast two players for each position who can play their consistently. in my opinion we need to make jags a CB and then we have 4 solid CB.

Neville should be made a rb and then we have 2 solid RB. left back we have baines at present with nuno as cover(He will need to be replaced either by boyle or another signing.

CM we have cahill grav cars osman. we need at least 2 more to add some flair and tackling.

Wide men we have arteta piernarr VDM and I suppose Osman again. We need a quality left winger and I would be happy.

Up front we have 5 players competing for two places with a good mix of pace passion flair and finishing.

You certainly need utility players in your squad thats obvious but the trouble with us is that our squad is so small so everyone bar the strikers more or less are forced to be switched around wehn there are injuries. Perhaps when Cahill and Grav come back people can start to bed into their preferred positions. Jags has looked lost in the midfield past few games he has played. Nev is better at RB than CM but not much!

We've been looking for THAT left midfielder for years by know. Seems to be a shortage of good available ones. Perhaps Downing next season as Boro are shite at the minute?

I got this from wikipedia:

Total Football is a system where a player who moves out of his position is replaced by another from his team, thus retaining their intended organizational structure. In this fluid system no footballer is fixed in his or her intended outfield role; anyone can be successively an attacker, a midfielder and a defender. Total Football depends largely on the adaptability of each footballer within the team to succeed. It consists of footballers being extremely tactically aware, allowing them to change positions at high speed—in its simplest terms, every player is comfortable in any other position. It also puts high technical and physical demands on the players.

Mebbe DM is looking for creativity in the team. We can't approach each game with the same gameplan. We become predictable, and boring. Sure we field players to their strengths, but a little versatility is a good thing no? We don't have the largest squad to choose from, and we don't know off the training field who's 100% fit or in form.

My view on this is that Moyes seems to be a bit of a chess player with the squad list. He has bought very wisely compared to others on , in premiership tersm, a shoestring budget. What we currently have is a squad of players who can be adapted to changes in availability and tactics. I agree that Moyes has not got the best track record for decision making recently, but if you look at the selection, they are generally consistent as to where players are used. Most players that have moved position, have played in 2-3 positions and also in various formations. Considering the amount of players that are first team regulars ( pretty much all with the squad size) and the time they have been at the club, Moyes is still trying to figure out where the best combinations lie. On the downside, Moyes has been guilty of poor fundamental errors recently and it begs the question, will he ever setle on a steady team. I hope he sees that this is why our defense last season was among the most miserly last year because they were all settled and knew what they were doing. This year, well Metalist!!!!