IGNORED

London Marathon

Raccyboy

I am in SA, but have arranged a work trip around it so at least I don't have to pay for the flight!

and of course that's not the only reason I'm coming over -- there's the game against birmingham (I'd also planned on watching a uefa cup 1/4 final at Goodison :( )

i hope one day i would do it. id love to do so but i would need a hell of alot of training. first of all im asthmatic so that hinders me a bit but it can be controlled. second of all id need a mountainous amount just to lose the beer belly im getting. thirdly is finding the time to train.

I think the biggest problem a first-timer in the uk has, is that the main part of the training would have to take place in your winter. so apart from the cold, the short daytime hours would make it tricky - the choice then becomes running in the dark, wet and cold outside or the tedium of a treadmill.

this will be my first marathon, so the fact that when I started training in mid-january (the peak of summer) it was only getting dark after 8 helped a lot.

having said that, you'd be surprised how quickly you can get running fit AS LONG AS you train with a group/club to help you with keeping motivated!

As some of you know i do a lot of hill walking / rambling/ back packing, but over the last ten years its gone down to annual holidays where we complete a lot of walking in one long stint. Maybe 7 ,10 or 14 days so for the rest of the year i am basicly doing nothiing, the way i prepare to get my fitness back is just spending 15 mins a day in the back garden stepping up and down on and off an old garden bench. Changing the leading leg every time you go up and down.

Do that every day for about two weeks before your run/walk and you'll get the legs back in shape, all the muscle aches in the calves, thighs and hips will be gone ready for your Jaunt.

Running is a different Kettle of fish entirely, it gets the lungs bursting and the feet and ankles blistered, this can become a torturous experience rather than an enjoyable one.

Lots of respect for Raccyboy and to anybody else who takes it on, i wish you lots of good luck and hope you complete it.

As some of you know i do a lot of hill walking / rambling/ back packing, but over the last ten years its gone down to annual holidays where we complete a lot of walking in one long stint. Maybe 7 ,10 or 14 days so for the rest of the year i am basicly doing nothiing, the way i prepare to get my fitness back is just spending 15 mins a day in the back garden stepping up and down on and off an old garden bench. Changing the leading leg every time you go up and down.

Do that every day for about two weeks before your run/walk and you'll get the legs back in shape, all the muscle aches in the calves, thighs and hips will be gone ready for your Jaunt.

Running is a different Kettle of fish entirely, it gets the lungs bursting and the feet and ankles blistered, this can become a torturous experience rather than an enjoyable one.

Lots of respect for Raccyboy and to anybody else who takes it on, i wish you lots of good luck and hope you complete it.

Errmm........This stepping up and down on the old garden bench, for 15mins a day!!........

............Next door neighbour nice is she :rolleyes:

My wifes niece did the London Marathon a couple of years back....some of her toe nails went black and fell off in time :huh: .....is that normal?

Yeah, can be if your running shoes dont fit properly, too tight and you can lose toenails, too loose and you will suffer horrendous blisters with the foot moving about in the shoe. Its ok practising on 4 or 5 mile runs, but when it comes to 26 miles and running for 4 or 5 hours in one stint it catches a lot of people out, very painfull and peeps have been unable to walk for weeks after. Can end up in disaster if not fully prepared.

Walking presents the same problems but theres not so much pounding on the feet, also have time to take in the surrounding scenery, much more enjoyable. :)

Admire anybody that puts themselves through the pain barrier, when its so easy just to stop and pull out.

The crowd effect is amazing. I did a big half marathon a lot of years ago with very little training (other than walking to the pub) and was basically carried for the first ten miles by the crowd and the thousands of other runners. Next two miles were tough, last mile was agony but I did it.

Twenty-six is a different beast though.

prior to this year, I'd only done a few half marathons before, but got offered this entry and decided to give it ago.

the thing is, Licker, as long as you train properly and gradually build it up, the problems you describe above should be avoided.

most of the people in the club I've been running with were training for a 56km run that was a couple weeks ago and then a 90km run in June! now THOSE are seriously tough :)

Good luck to you Raccy, what time are you hoping to achieve. ??

Have walked 26 miles in 9 hours .... 9 am till 6 pm. average 3 mph with several 10 minute drink and sandwich stops, uphill and down dale and never ever suffered with blisters, tho 2 years ago Mrs licker lost a big toenail and suffered badly with blisters, and she's a lot younger than me.( lack of preparation) she thought going to keep fit classes twice a week would be enough. :D

She has'nt made the same mistake again.

Walking doesnt make the physical demands on your body that running does, its a lot easier.

But 3.45 is an extremely good time for a non professional if you've never been through that barrier before.

Think i'd aim for 4.30 to 5 hours if i where you, I still hope you do it tho. ;)

3 hours 41 minutes 27 seconds

very happy with my time...

an amazing event - the support from the londoners lining the streets was phenomenal, every once in a while there'd be this big build up in the noise level and it would really help to keep you going - particularly for the last 10 miles!

highly recommended for anyone looking for a good mental challenge...

Excellent time! I'm impressed, I did the half in about 1.55 so you went faster than me and kept it going for twice the distance.

c'mon then -- next year you can do the full; sure you can do a sub-4:30 with some training

dunno what next now. during the run I thought to myself there was no chance I'd put myself through that again, but now I'm looking for something to work towards again....we've got the two oceans ultra-marathon in cape town that is 56km (about 34.8 miles) so maybe try that next year...

but really to anyone who has any thoughts of doing london next year, just go for it -- find a charity you'd like to support, join a running club and you can all do it.

Anyone else hear about the blind man who did 7 marathons in 7 days last week?

that guy is amazing AND you left out another detail -- it's 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 CONTINENTS

so not only is he doing the runs, he's then got to fly or drive to the next continent each day......incredible