IGNORED

Sven To Get The Chop

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/7370698.stm

I think this is stupid to be honest. Sure they have waned towards the end of the season, but dont think many city fans thought that they would seriously push for europe this season. Also one of the first years for awhile that they have had no threat of relegation.

Stupid idea and a real sign of the state of the game at the moment.

Bloody ridiculous but what do you expect (as I've said elsewhere) if you sell out to someone who knows nothing about football.

Thaksin Shinawatra is seriously deranged, not just as far as football is concerned, was always going to become an embarrassment and it'll only get worse. Who in their right mind would take the job now? Would only be if the money was too much to turn down. Laughing stock.

Sven would be a great assistant manager... I know it wouldn't happen but Sven's knowledge and Moyes's mind would be amazing.

Watching the news about this and it said Sven was part of the five year plan and the first year would be getting Man City into the top 10 which he has done but they're getting rid of him! Thats ludicrous!

The 5 year plan thing is ridiculous. Sven has achieved what has been set out for him, he has even help city players push for england places, to have the goal posts moved is ridiculous. I don't think that sven could have done much more this year. Ultimately though he seems to have paid the price of being hugely succesful from the start.

Don't think many city fans would have snuffed at the double over united and best ever premier leauge finish though, the modern game eh?

• 1 month later...

Back to sven for a second - good to see him have another job straight away, been appointed the mexico manager. he said "i like a challenge, i like a big challenge" well he has got one, i suppose it would be fucking hard to go manage a team where not many of the players are known so who would you call up and play? good luck to sven.

Back to sven for a second - good to see him have another job straight away, been appointed the mexico manager. he said "i like a challenge, i like a big challenge" well he has got one, i suppose it would be fucking hard to go manage a team where not many of the players are known so who would you call up and play? good luck to sven.

Not known in Europe, you mean. Mexican players for decades had a habit of staying home and playing in Mexico, even when they were good enough to play elsewhere. I've heard many reasons why - because of national pride, because of the strong cultural emphasis on family and staying close to your family, because they have trouble adapting to other styles of football - I really couldn't tell you how much each of those plays a role, if at all. I can tell you that Mexicans are very patriotic, however. They are devoted to their teams and their league, and the Mexican clubs do not follow the business model of their Argentinian and Brazilian counterparts. Clubs in those leagues make most of their money by selling their best young talent abroad for huge profits and then developing more young talent to sell...hardly anyone on either of their national teams plays domestically. Mexican clubs, on the other hand, would never need the 6+5 rule because they've always been very selective about signing foreign players. Chivas de Guadalajara, in fact, has an actual club policy that they will only sign players who are Mexican citizens by birth (and it hasn't really hurt them...they've won 11 Mexican League titles, the most of anyone, and due in part to that policy they are easily the most popular team in Mexico).

Whatever it is, the fact remains that some of the best players Mexico has produced like Carlos Hermosillo, Jared Borgetti, and Luis Hernandez were content to stay in Mexico all through the prime of their careers, and if they ever left at all, even for the USA or South America (let alone Europe) it wasn't until much later. When Borgetti played for Bolton, you guys didn't see the 20-something Borgetti who scored 189 goals in 8 seasons for Santos Laguna...you saw the 32 year old Borgetti who was clearly past his best (and even then still potted 7 goals in his lone season there). But even Mexico's most successful export talents like Luis Garcia (28 goals in 2 seasons with Atletico Madrid in the mid-90s) have tended to gravitate back to Mexico after only a few years abroad.

Now, it is possible that we are seeing that start to change a bit...of the 24 players called up for Mexico's most recent round of international fixtures, six of them are currently plying their trade in Europe and three of those six are under the age of 22. That would have been unheard of just ten years ago. However, 3/4 of the squad is still based domestically, most of them by choice.

Yeah thats what i did mean sorry.

Only two i can think of is the one who used to play for bolton and Dos Santos for Barcelona.

One Mexican player you will see more of soon is Carlos Vela. Arsenal signed him as a teenager a few years ago and kept loaning him out to Spanish teams because he couldn't get a work permit in England, but he has one now and Wenger says he'll get some first team football next year. He plays both at forward and on the wing, and he's really young, only 19.

Edited by JD in DC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...