IGNORED

Steven Appiah

The injury side is an obvious stumbling block, but there would be no harm in giving him a medical. Should have bought him ages ago. I'm a long term admirer of his, as far as midfielders go, he's pretty much got everything and there are not many teams if any, that he wouldn't be guaranteed a 1st team start. As well as being a great DM he scores a fair few as well. Injuries aside, he is the perfect midfielder for EFC, even with Castillo and Fellaini. Imagine the selection choices or the flexibility on the bench if games needed to be changed. Add this to an ever testing game schedule, particularly if we have a good run in some cups.

• 3 weeks later...

Top player, would love to have him here, although I was convinced we wouldn't get him, for some reason I thought it was a certain he would go to either Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea or Portsmouth. One of Fenerbahce's best players. And as it is on a free it would be worth a punt, centre of the park still needs strengthening in my eyes, so it would be up to him to battle it out with Castillo to see who got the DM role, a bit of competition in the midfield might help a few players to raise their game aswell.

Moyes definately needs to look into a defense mid position, i thought that was why we brought castillo in but clearly he doesnt plan on using him that much, or fellaini for that matter. We need a player who can do carsley's job, sit in front of the defense and act as a wall to absorb the attacks down the center, it means the fullbacks can stay in position, and the center halfs can focus on keeping shots out, so howard doesnt have to worry as much.

Its funny because although carsley was at the butt of criticism because he was one of our weaker players, his position was a lynchpin to our tactics, protecting the defense to free up our midfield to roam around. With baines on the left able to push up and provide good crosses and pienaar able to track back, we have a shored up left side, but our right side is weaker and vunerable, so the only sense is to go back and play the way we used to, 4-5-1 yak up front, cahill osman arteta and pienaar BUT get someone in the defense mid role, which i thought casti was for, to get cover for the defense. Force them to play down the channel and snuff out the attack, last season it was hard for teams to beat us this season we're doing shit because there's noone protecting us on the break forcing teams out for crosses instead of short passing into the box.

Appiah i think would rescue our form and shore up our defense, making sure that teams dont get that easy break on us as well as helping set up attacks. To me if casti isn't going to get played and won't be given a chance to fulfil this role we should get this guy in, surely moyes can see this is part of the reason our defense has sucked?

Moyes definately needs to look into a defense mid position, i thought that was why we brought castillo in but clearly he doesnt plan on using him that much, or fellaini for that matter. We need a player who can do carsley's job, sit in front of the defense and act as a wall to absorb the attacks down the center, it means the fullbacks can stay in position, and the center halfs can focus on keeping shots out, so howard doesnt have to worry as much.

Its funny because although carsley was at the butt of criticism because he was one of our weaker players, his position was a lynchpin to our tactics, protecting the defense to free up our midfield to roam around. With baines on the left able to push up and provide good crosses and pienaar able to track back, we have a shored up left side, but our right side is weaker and vunerable, so the only sense is to go back and play the way we used to, 4-5-1 yak up front, cahill osman arteta and pienaar BUT get someone in the defense mid role, which i thought casti was for, to get cover for the defense. Force them to play down the channel and snuff out the attack, last season it was hard for teams to beat us this season we're doing shit because there's noone protecting us on the break forcing teams out for crosses instead of short passing into the box.

Appiah i think would rescue our form and shore up our defense, making sure that teams dont get that easy break on us as well as helping set up attacks. To me if casti isn't going to get played and won't be given a chance to fulfil this role we should get this guy in, surely moyes can see this is part of the reason our defense has sucked?

I think most people realised that Carlsey was invaluble to the sign years ago. It certainly is not a surprise that we are suddenly shipping in goals now that he has gone you only have to look back at the season he missed through injury when we were out of the champions league, uefa and carling cups all at the first hurrdle and struggling badly in the league, sound familiar??

Cars has never been " one of our weker players " its just because his role wasnt glamarous and so people never appreciated him

• 1 month later...
He will also be playing for Ghana on Wednesday evening in a friendly against Tunisia - when a host of clubs, including West Ham, Middlesbrough and Newcastle, are ready to check on him.

Were not mentioned and knowing Newcastle's luck they'll get him. I hope he comes to us, he's a great player to have on a free - woulden't be too gutted if he didn't sign though. Would much rather see someone else bought than have baggage on a free. Also, I found this on Wikipedia. It dates back to the 7th of September but it could be useful

'On the 7th September 2008, Sky Sports reported that Stephen Appiah was the subject of interest from English Premier League clubs Arsenal, West Ham United, Portsmouth And Chelsea. Each of the four clubs were reported to have representatives at Ghana's 1-0 defeat to Libya'

If that is still going on, and the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea are still intrested we can forget signing him.

• 3 months later...