IGNORED

An Interesting Thought

Something came into my head today. If Spain continue to ignore Arteta for a call up can it be possible that some time in the future he could play for England. Almunia the Arsenal keeper would be able to play soon if England wanted him after aquiring an English passport.

Is it a possibility?

Edited by Jay Bernard

Is it a possibility?

No. In general players need to become naturalized citizens of the UK, not sure on the legal qualifications for that but as far as Mikel's concerned he played seven games for Spain's U-21's so there's no possibility at all.

FIFA Article 18

1. Any player who is a naturalized citizen of a country in virtue of that country’s laws shall be eligible to play for a national or representative team of that country.

2. If a player has been included in a national or representative team of a country for which he is eligible to play pursuant to paragraph 1, he shall not be permitted to take part in an international match for another country. Accordingly, any player who is qualified to play for more than one national association (i.e. who has dual nationality) will be deemed to have committed himself to one association only when he plays his first international match in an official competition (at any level) for that association.

3. The only players exempt from this provision are those whose nationality has been changed not voluntarily but as the result of an international decree either granting independence to a region or ceding part of one country to another.

That's the rule as far as I can see Mark....has it been changed?

Yup, got it....it was a change in the rules from a FIFA meeting in Qatar in 2003....

Fifa have introduced a new rule that allows a footballer capped at junior level to be able to later represent another country, but only as long as he possesses dual nationality and makes the request to change nationality under the age of 21.

So the answer to the original question is still no, because you have to be under twenty-one to do it.

Flying in the face of opinion here, but I dont give a fat rats arse if our players are internationals or not. It is just more games for players to get injured and as for the farce of ACON each year that just pisses me off.

ATB

Mac

Flying in the face of opinion here, but I dont give a fat rats arse if our players are internationals or not. It is just more games for players to get injured and as for the farce of ACON each year that just pisses me off.

ATB

Mac

I think thats a bit harsh am sure if you were a player you would want to play for your country wouldn't you? I know I would :P agree about the ACON it's ludicrous :).