IGNORED

Uefa Cup: Standard Liège

So would I, mate, so would I :). But going through the group stages would already be an achievement when you see we've been drawn with Sevilla, Sampdoria, Stuttgart and Belgrade.

Hmm...should beat both Sampdoria and Belgrade, and you've proven that you can beat Sevilla. With that confidence you could do like we did. Go away to AZ, who haden't lost in 32 home UEFA matches and bounce them 3-2. If you go into the game with the right mentallity - i.e confidence, calmness, determination - then you will come out on top.

Back up Mark. Would love it if Liege won the cup. When I see you play I'll be rooting for you. After all Defour's our's soon ;)

Hmm...should beat both Sampdoria and Belgrade, and you've proven that you can beat Sevilla. With that confidence you could do like we did. Go away to AZ, who haden't lost in 32 home UEFA matches and bounce them 3-2. If you go into the game with the right mentallity - i.e confidence, calmness, determination - then you will come out on top.

Back up Mark. Would love it if Liege won the cup. When I see you play I'll be rooting for you. After all Defour's our's soon ;)

And Bolton are after Witsel.

Cologne after Dante.

Marseilles after Jovanovic.

Exodus looming

Surely a decent team will come in for him? I'd hate to see a player of his quality go to shite like Bolton.

The Arse, both Mans, Juventus and Real Madrid sent their top scouts last week. Big, big money in the pipeline. Just hope he sees the season through and doesn't jumps ships in January. Squad stretched. Can't see a last minute replacement.

Surely a decent team will come in for him? I'd hate to see a player of his quality go to shite like Bolton.

The Arse, both Mans, Juventus and Real Madrid sent their top scouts last week. Big, big money in the pipeline. Just hope he sees the season through and doesn't jumps ships in January. Squad stretched. Can't see a last minute replacement.

Damn, I'm the same as Mark on this one. Would hate to see someone of his talent and ability end up fighting for a place with the likes of Nolan and Davies. Not a club that I would want to be at. If the likes of Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus are in for him. I can't see him leaving them behind for Wanderers. I hope he does see the season out for you. But if people come in in January with the right money - he could be on a plane out of Belgium.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like they've got a reasonable route into the last eight, Braga first and then the winners of Paris Saint-Germain/ Wolfsburg. Just so long as they don't lose too many players in Jan.

Can someone explain to me why City are second favourites for it (after Milan) with a lot of bookies :huh: ?

Seems everyone believes the hype rather than the evidence :rolleyes: .

Don't count Braga out so quickly... Remember, they solidly beat the pompeys 3-0 at home, lost in the San Siro at the clock, with a superb goal by Ronaldinho, and were also suprised in stopage time by Wolfsburg. From what i know of both teams, it's gonna be a couple of very interesting games.

I give a bit of an edge to Standard, since Boloni knows a fair bit about Portuguese football, but it's gonna be interesting.

We didn't really turn up in Stuttgart, poor performance after an extremely convincing match in Bruges a few days before (1-4). We made up for that last w-e with a sweet game against Ghent (2-1). The reception to our former manager - now in Ghent -, the one who gave us the title back after 25 years last season, was nothing short of fanstastic with the four stands chanting his name. Goose pimples and sore throat.

My girl is from Portugal. Bring on Braga. Full bj at stake, lads! (no you won't know what I'm up to if we lose) :)

And a very happy Xmas to you all!

Edited by FromBelgium

We didn't really turn up in Stuttgart, poor performance after an extremely convincing match in Bruges a few days before (1-4). We made up for that last w-e with a sweet game against Ghent (2-1). The reception to our former manager - now in Ghent -, the one who gave us the title back after 25 years last season, was nothing short of fanstastic with the four stands chanting his name. Goose pimples and sore throat.

My girl is from Portugal. Bring on Braga. Full bj at stake, lads! (no you won't know what I'm up to if we lose) :)

And a very happy Xmas to you all!

There is such a thing as too much information, mate ;)

• 1 month later...

So how many players did you guys loose?

Cuz that was some whooping you got, guys...

In all fairness, Braga have been really strong this year, as I've said quite a few times. I'm not a big fan of them, after all, they were part of the Sporting family, but they decided to leave, ungrateful sods. ;)

Anyways, for those that didn't see it, here's the goals:

Braga Vs. Standard Liege 3 - 0

The 1st goal is amazing.

???? :mellow: ???

What went wrong lads?

Gonna take something special to turn round 3-0 :( .

Well, Mike, you remember I've been saying Braga are not an easy side to face, and they were 2-0 down after 25 minutes, so that's kind hard on moral.

Besides, I don't know how many players left during this winter transfer window. Braga have been on a great form for a couple of months now.

Edited by Sporting4ever

So how many players did you guys loose?

Cuz that was some whooping you got, guys...

In all fairness, Braga have been really strong this year, as I've said quite a few times. I'm not a big fan of them, after all, they were part of the Sporting family, but they decided to leave, ungrateful sods. ;)

Anyways, for those that didn't see it, here's the goals:

Braga Vs. Standard Liege 3 - 0

The 1st goal is amazing.

Well, Mike, you remember I've been saying Braga are not an easy side to face, and they were 2-0 down after 25 minutes, so that's kind hard on moral.

Besides, I don't know how many players left during this winter transfer window. Braga have been on a great form for a couple of months now.

Yeah, i was quit shocked :(

Braga played very good, but it was mainly standard playing very poor

Standard missed sarr in the back, and Defour was injured after 5 minutes( very nasty foul, tackle from behind in the mid-circle)

but that can' t be an excuse

i hope they'll do a miracle in Liege, but i fear for it

edit: only Dante left this winter.

They even made some good buys,, lot of young players

Edited by Churinga

Take nothing away from Braga but that Liege side was brilliant, I find it so disspiriting that it has gone off the boil so quickly, its very sad for their supporters and for football :angry::angry::mellow:

Well, there's the 2nd leg this week, I don't count them completely out, but it's gonna be though.

It was really though luck, since Everton deserved to be in the groups stage (certainly more than the pompeys) and wasn't, and now, looks like standard won't be in the last 16, and they deserved that too. Braga lost 4 points in the last few minutes of 2 games, 1 point away at milan, with a late goal from Ronaldinho to give them the win, and 3 points against Wolfsburg, when they were 2-0 up with about 10 minutes to go, they managed to loose 3-2. 4 more points meant a 1st or 2nd place, therefore they wouldn't play against another 1st place team, like Standard.

Well, 2nd leg over, fair play to Standard, but Braga we're better. I've been saying for some time now, that there's a lot of quality there...

Edited by Sporting4ever