IGNORED

Bbc's Take On Our Jan Prospects

Budget: Virtually non-existent - sell to buy at best.

January previous: Manager David Moyes is a reluctant operator in the January transfer market. In 2008 he brought in Manuel Fernandes and Anthony Gardner on loan and took £2m youngster Dan Gosling from Plymouth, while Alan Stubbs and James McFadden left. Moyes did break the then club transfer record to spend £6m on James Beattie from Southampton in 2005 and took Mikel Arteta on loan from Real Sociedad but do not expect big buys this time around.

What they need: A striker - desperately. Yakubu is out for the season, James Vaughan will almost certainly not figure again this term and Louis Saha's injury record needs no introduction. A powerful midfield presence would help but expect Moyes to concentrate on his attack.

Who they might buy: Newcastle's Michael Owen has been linked but that can be dismissed if Everton's public cry of transfer poverty is a true reflection of their financial status. It seems CSKA Moscow's Wagner Love can be struck from the list on similar grounds but BBC Radio Merseyside's Mike Hughes adds: "There's a suggestion now that a loan could be a possibility with Love. Mamadou Niang is a player with great potential and would fit the bill but Marseille may be less agreeable to a loan move. I think the favoured candidate is Huyton-born Portsmouth striker David Nugent. He certainly hasn't set the Premier League alight as yet but maybe a move to Goodison Park could rejuvenate his career."

Who they might sell: One player who appears surplus to requirements but is also marketable is left-back Leighton Baines. He has not established a regular place since his £6m move from Wigan in 2007 and Newcastle have been linked with a swoop for him.

What the fans say: "Kevin Doyle up front and Chris Eagles from Burnley will suffice."

Budget: Well we know that its going to be tricky in this field. Were looking for loans at best and I think it's going to be a very grim transfer market for us. Our squad will really improve when the summer comes. I just hope that Lescott, Arteta and whoever else is still in an Everton shirt when that time comes. I'm just praying that no-one like Manchester City come to us with silly money for Jagielka. If he goes we go.

What They Need: Yes, we need a striker and we all know that. I really disagree with the getting the midfield better. I think that we have a real solid midfield with Arteta, Cahill, Mo, Castillo, Osman, Pienaar and many more all adding to a strong force. I doubt Moyes will even consider finding replacement midfielders. I agree with HolyStove - the one place thats fixed is the midfield.

Who They Might Buy: I hope that all comes true but I doubt it. Micheal Owen goes off to Manchester City and Love stays where he is. I just get the feeling that he won't come to us. I don't really know whether we'll get Niang. It all depends on how well Moyes can negotiate and as for David Nugent. If he comes to Goodison all hell will break loose. He should be sent back to Preston with a full refund. Waste of time.

What The Fans Say: Kevin Doyle would be good but I'm unsure if he suits us. Chris Eagles, thats another good shout. Two cheap players that would make a differance.

Edited by dark