IGNORED

Aston Villa (cup)

Romey 1878

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as Rodwell scored in the 4th minute i take it that Carl was 10 minutes late getting to his seat. :D

Indeed, I missed the first 15 minutes travelling! Don't get me wrong, Rodwell looks a class act on the ball, is excellent in the air, physically impressive and is a very good tackler but I just don't think he gets involved enough in midfield at the moment. He looks like he is going to become a brilliant central defender, I just don't know if he's cut out to be a world class midfielder. He's a decent looking lad (before you say anything, I'm married - to a woman!) as well so he could become a star and earn us some revenue (Owen/Beckham style).

Indeed, I missed the first 15 minutes travelling! Don't get me wrong, Rodwell looks a class act on the ball, is excellent in the air, physically impressive and is a very good tackler but I just don't think he gets involved enough in midfield at the moment. He looks like he is going to become a brilliant central defender, I just don't know if he's cut out to be a world class midfielder. He's a decent looking lad (before you say anything, I'm married - to a woman!) as well so he could become a star and earn us some revenue (Owen/Beckham style).

Michael Barrymore was married to a woman too you know ;)

Guest efctaxi
First half was tremendous from us but in the second half we let our foot off the pedal. That being said we dominated the game for the most part and Villa didn't give us too many scares, so it was pretty much an easy day at the office for us today. Roll on the next round :) .

Howard - He has to be THE worst keeper at stopping penalties! He did make an excellent save later on though so I'll let him off :P .

Hibbert - Back to his normal shite self today. Terrible decision to slide in to gift them a way back into the game when we were completely dominating. At one point he was about 15 yards from Ashley Young and he looked at Young three times before proceeding to walk even further away from him giving him even more room he could run into once he received the ball! The lads a fucking liability and I'm glad he's banned for the next game.

Jagielka - Showed today that the England mistake was indeed just a blip.

Lescott - Apart from a few dodgy clearances he was solid.

Baines - Couldn't get forward as much as we've been used to in recent weeks because he only had Gosling infront of him but he put in a good shift for us.

Anichebe - I thought he had a really good game for us today. He still tires too easily though and when decisions don't go his way he sulks and gives up. That needs sorting out.

Arteta - Ran the show for us today. Not only did he control the team going forward but he tracked back time and time again and put great defensive tackles in to win the the ball back for us. It really was a sublime performance and earned him my MOTM vote.

Rodwell - He is fucking immense, just immense. He's going to be even better on the ball than Arteta in the next few years. He never panics no matter what position he's put in. His performance was summed up for me when he lost the ball to Young (I think) and he ran back after him and took the ball back effortlessly. We need to get this boy tied down to a long-term contract, and fast.

Neville - Solid performance from the skipper today. Job done.

Gosling - I thought he was poor today. Every time he got the ball he just ran straight into an opposition player. He doesn't have the pace or skill to take a man on.

Cahill - A workmanlike performance from Timmy today. He was never going to win much in the air today against Knight and Davies, but he never gave up and gave everything to the cause.

Just shows how differently some of us see things :lol:

Apart from the daft penalty , Hibbert was esily our best defender in my opinion .

The rest of the defence were crap compared to recent weeks , and Villa had far too many chances to score . Lescott was dire and was unaware where the Villa forwards were on many occasions . Howard was brilliant all game and very unlucky to not save the pen . I don't know of a single goalie who is good at saving pens . Only one that get's a bit of luck occasionally . Against a decent pen taker , the goalie normally has no chance .

I agree about Vic, I was very impressed with him. He needed a good performance after the problems he has had recently. But arteta was outstanding, he is getting better and better this season, after having so many poor performances I did not see him hitting the hights that he has done in recent games.

Quite simply he's a fantastic footballer, easily our best and all we needed to do was put him somewhere where he could actually get on the ball and dictate play, he had been stuck out on the wing too long with players in the centre of the park who couldn't get it to him in dangerous positions. I don't think he was totally to blame for his poor performances prior to his switch to the centre of midfield, he just doesn't have the pace to be an out and out winger and we just didn't have the quality in midfield to get him involved. Arteta moving into CM has transformed our season and his, we now actually look like a team. Not only is he a brilliant footballer but he works incredibly hard, the model professional.

Michael Barrymore was married to a woman too you know ;)

Hopefully I don't follow down his path!

Also, Hibbert did make a bad decision which led to their penalty but I personally was glad that it didn't cost us as he hadn't put a foot wrong before that this season. I think we'll miss him in the next game as Neville has also been doing very well in DM. I didn't think anyone in the defence played particularly well yesterday to be honest.

Just shows how differently some of us see things :lol:

Apart from the daft penalty , Hibbert was esily our best defender in my opinion .

The rest of the defence were crap compared to recent weeks , and Villa had far too many chances to score . Lescott was dire and was unaware where the Villa forwards were on many occasions . Howard was brilliant all game and very unlucky to not save the pen . I don't know of a single goalie who is good at saving pens . Only one that get's a bit of luck occasionally . Against a decent pen taker , the goalie normally has no chance .

I agree totally about Hibbo, that lad has really pulled his game around and more fans should be singing his praises

However Reina is brilliant at saving pens, he does bend the laws at times but he gets away with it. VDS at Utd isn't bad either. I can't remember Tim saving a penalty, some have missed but very few are saved.

Delighted.....!

It's the other little turd I don't like now. Ashley Young has everything going for him.... skill, pace etc, but just continues to chuck himself on the floor. I was made up when Neville gave him some shit as he threw himself to the floor for the 78th time yesterday!