IGNORED

New Goalkeeper

Guest efctaxi

What's the point ?

We always have guys in goal on our books that never get played .

Howard has had a few poor performances , but he's really not the worst we could have .

What we need is someone capable of pushing Howard, Nash is gash.........................I wouldn't mind a decent second string like Hanrehmann from Reading or even Paddy kenny from Sheff Utd. Howard has an easy life with those who are supposed to challenge him which is stupid considering the problems he has with long shots and crosses

If we could sign Ben Foster then that'd be bang on! He's quality - the future england no.1 but unfortunately also future united no.1 - so I don't think we'd get him on a permanent deal.

I suppose being at United is a massive honour for the lad but he knows he needs games if he is to be considered for the England team and at this moment in time Fergie seems keen to stick with Van Der Sar and he has already said he will keep signing contract extentions until United no longer want him.

Would be great if we could get Foster as he is quality and will be a far better keeper then Howard in the future. In regards to having other keepers on our books doesnt really mean a great deal they are obviously not good enough to make the step up and most clubs have a selection of young keepers that never go on to bigger things.

Personally I think howard is in the top 5 goalkeepers in the league, however I do agree that we could do with another solid goalkeeper to push him a little more (nash isnt premiership standard by any means)

If we wanted a top class gk to give him some real competition then we should have gone for either robinson or cudicini when they were available.

Foster has good potential but will not be cheap and we all know BK's purse strings will be tight in the summer and we could do with using the cash in other areas.

I am from peterborough and watch the POSH regular and believe me we wouldnt want joe lewis, he is very very inconsistent and if he makes the type of mistakes he does in league 1 then he would get mullered in the premiership!

They only stay for a season because they are only "on loan". I see no point in it when DM brings IN a goalie on loan but never has to use him, and then sends both Ruddy and Turner OUT on loan, its Crazy.

You had that dipshit of ours, Stojkovic, but he left after beeing there an hour (!!??). I guess he heard you wanted a sub, and wouldn't have it. He's now on loan to Getafe, made a good game this weekend, because the other guy is injured or something, because he's been in their bench as well.

He's a quality keeper, better than Howard, but his ego, jeez...

He's the Serbian keeper, if you want to check him out, but I doubt Moyes would want to try him again, after what happened last summer, and that is if Getafe don't take him.

why not try sign a keeper from abroad? why do we have to go to english based clubs.

Gomes and Taibi are 2 of the most notable examples of why it's a big gamble to buy foreign keepers from non-english (1st language) speaking countries but then again look at Reina, Almunia, Cudicini and Cech. One of the most important attributes for a keeper is to be able to communicate with his back 4, so I'd only want a foreign keeper if they are english speaking. We could do a lot worse than keepers like schwarzer and jaskalienen - proven prem class - however I'm actually quite happy with howard to be honest, just think he's had a few bad games recently with villa match being a mare!!!

Gomes was rated the best in the world a year ago, and apart from his countless gaffs this season he has still pulled off some absolutly brilliant saves and I think come next season he will be alot better than what we have seen this season due to like C1982 said the communication problem.

I just think we should sign a keeper better than howard, howard to be our bench boy, instead of signing someone who isnt going to oust him.

But who, and from where? There are only a handful of keepers in the world who would be a significant upgrade from Howard in the first place, and most of them would be prohibitively expensive to bring in on transfer, if they were even willing to come here. You're not going to get someone who would instantly command Howard's job with a free transfer, and if we use the fees paid for Peter Cech (7m pounds) and Shay Given (8m pounds) as rough guidelines for the level of quality we'd hope to bring in (I assume nobody has any notions of shopping in the Gianluigi Buffon district - wasn't his last transfer something like 32m pounds?), it's very hard to justify spending that much money when our budget is limited to begin with and we have other areas of greater need. One thing's for sure, I guarantee you that if we did buy an expensive upgrade at keeper, Howard would be gone - he'd be far too valuable an asset in the transfer market for DM and BK to keep him around just so he could spell our new glamour pickup for 6 or 7 games a year. And then we'd be right back to the same problem we have now. A strong starting keeper, and a revolving door of uninspiring backups.

But who, and from where? There are only a handful of keepers in the world who would be a significant upgrade from Howard in the first place, and most of them would be prohibitively expensive to bring in on transfer, if they were even willing to come here. You're not going to get someone who would instantly command Howard's job with a free transfer, and if we use the fees paid for Peter Cech (7m pounds) and Shay Given (8m pounds) as rough guidelines for the level of quality we'd hope to bring in (I assume nobody has any notions of shopping in the Gianluigi Buffon district - wasn't his last transfer something like 32m pounds?), it's very hard to justify spending that much money when our budget is limited to begin with and we have other areas of greater need. One thing's for sure, I guarantee you that if we did buy an expensive upgrade at keeper, Howard would be gone - he'd be far too valuable an asset in the transfer market for DM and BK to keep him around just so he could spell our new glamour pickup for 6 or 7 games a year. And then we'd be right back to the same problem we have now. A strong starting keeper, and a revolving door of uninspiring backups.

Good point TC, After watching Cech last night i bet a few Chelsea fans wish they didn't let Cudicini go ever since he fractured his skull his level has dropped massively.

spot on!

and i cant believe we are even talking of "replacing" howard, he has been top class for us since he joined - yes he has had a couple of blips but what gk doesnt, this season so far van de saar,cech,reina havent exactly been solid!!!

Personally I'm a big howard fan and I agree I would like to see a better understudy to maybe push him a little more than nash,ruddy,turner etc but as for replacing him - no thanks as we couldnt afford or attract a better gk right now!

After yesterday all of Howards little errors are forgotten as far as im concerned! The other thing to remember is they changed the ball this year to put pressure on the keepers it moves quicker and has a mind of its own in the air! Thats why EVERY keeper not just Howard is havin shall we call it fun this season.

After yesterday all of Howards little errors are forgotten as far as im concerned! The other thing to remember is they changed the ball this year to put pressure on the keepers it moves quicker and has a mind of its own in the air! Thats why EVERY keeper not just Howard is havin shall we call it fun this season.

One of the things i was saying to the old man yesterday, and i wonder if anyone else noticed, how little effort the keepers used to kick the ball literally the length of the pitch. On a couple of occasions Howard and Foster played to each other!? i know the pitch slowed the ball down but fuck me, the minute it went in the air, it was like a friggin fly-way! did they use a different ball for yday??

Its not FM guys you carnt buy a class keeper and keep him on the bench.....

We don't have the money to do it and the player just wont accept it...... sadly I think we can only ever hope to have a decent experienced keeper on the bench or maybe an excellent youngster.....

Edited by DangerMouse

Its not FM guys you carnt buy a class keeper and keep him on the bench.....

We don't have the money to do it and the player just wont accept it...... sadly I think we can only ever hope to have a decent experienced keeper on the bench or maybe an excellent youngster.....

What we need is someone to push Tim, Nigel Martyn type if necessary. Like many on here I thought he was becoming a tad complacent, he had some very sloppy games and needed a shot in the arm, Nash isn't good enough to do that he was languishing in Wigans third team

• 2 weeks later...

Just come across this on some footy site, I new Turner was playing for Forest but thought he was on Loan. I havent heard anything about him going on a permanent deal, or is this a mistake. ?? :huh:

EVERTON TRANSFERS OUT

19/03/09 Iain Turner Nottm Forest Free

02/02/09 Lucas Jutkiewicz Huddersfield Loan

29/01/09 John Ruddy Crewe Loan

02/01/09 Lee Molyneux Soton Free

07/08/08 Andrew Johnson Fulham Undisc.

02/07/08 Jamie Jones Orient Free

01/07/08 Stefan Wessels Released Free

01/07/08 Lee Carsley Birmingham Free

28/06/08 Darren Dennehy Cardiff Free