IGNORED

Christian Poulsen

Butting in (sure Craccer will answer you when he can)...for me..

Gray wasn't a legend because he wasn't here long enough but he was part of a legendary team; and he was also a superior player to Ferguson.

Craccer is spot on imo, but the argument splits Evertonians and probably always will :) .

IM guessing people under 30 will see Ferguson as a legend because they wouldnt really remember the true legends of our club.....

I feel more or less like that..... I respet the fact that there were bigger better stars at our club but sadly I just missed out on our team of the eighties.... and have not really seen the team achieve anygreat sucsess....

I guess Fergoson is one of a few players Ive seen that could even come close to Legend status for me......

Edited by DangerMouse

Maybe not, but for the time he arrived until he retired he was a vital team member, if not for his goals then for his inspiration to the club. Saying Gray was better than Ferguson is an insult, I rate big Dunc along with Bob Latchford. Gray was/is a self-gloried braggart, who just like Ferguson arrived at the right time. However, unlike Ferguson Gray hasn't repaid the club that saved his career.

Your having a laugh arent you???

He repaid the club in the Bayern Munich game alone and he also made Graham Sharp the player he was

Your having a laugh arent you???

He repaid the club in the Bayern Munich game alone and he also made Graham Sharp the player he was

I'm talking about after their respective careers ended. Ferguson is very active in and around Everton, Gray couldn't even be bothered to stay for Kendall (the man who brought him) testimonial.

He may not have had legendary skills, but the man was a legend. Any player that can lift the fans the way did deserves to be called a legend.

That's the spirit.

i'm only 23 myself so i haven't seen many greats in my time but to call ferguson a legend i find mind boggling. There's a good few players I'd consider more legendary than him in my time...as mentioned big nev, watson and who could forget barry hooooooooooooooorne.

i don't think any player deserves to be a legend without actually proving it by winning things. if he's considered a legend for lifting the fans for the odd goal and mindless violence that had no place on a football pitch then phil neville's a legend, he lifts the fans and the players and yet doesn't need to punch people.

each to their own opinion but i'll never accept him as a legend and will never agree when people label him as that, it plays down the achievements of the real legends.

Saying Gray was better than Ferguson is an insult, I rate big Dunc along with Bob Latchford.

Gray was better than Ferguson by any rational reasoning.

They both started at Dundee United where Gray scored 46 goals in 62 games, strike rate of a goal every 1.3 games. Ferguson (including his handful of games at Rangers) scored 30 in 91 games, strike rate of 1 in 3. Up until he left Everton Gray scored 106 goals in 285 games in England at one every 2.8 games against Dunc's 69 in 269 (3.9). No comparison.

Dunc's "iconic" status is down to a handful of iconic goals in my opinion. Certainly he often lifted the crowd when he came on as sub but much more often than not he flattered to deceive, and the crowd ended up right back down where they'd started.

Not going to quote Latchford's stats here because the other two don't belong on the same page as him when it comes to Everton legends and I wouldn't want to embarrass them :) .

i'm only 23 myself so i haven't seen many greats in my time but to call ferguson a legend i find mind boggling. There's a good few players I'd consider more legendary than him in my time...as mentioned big nev, watson and who could forget barry hooooooooooooooorne.

i don't think any player deserves to be a legend without actually proving it by winning things. if he's considered a legend for lifting the fans for the odd goal and mindless violence that had no place on a football pitch then phil neville's a legend, he lifts the fans and the players and yet doesn't need to punch people.

each to their own opinion but i'll never accept him as a legend and will never agree when people label him as that, it plays down the achievements of the real legends.

Im in a simlar boat to Craccer in terms of age and who i would consider to be legends, I am a fan of Ferguson he was a great persona and character for the club but i would say he is more of a status figure then anything else.