IGNORED

A Question For The Tactically Minded

I always believed that a football team should score goals. It doesn't matter if the opposition scores so long as you score more than them. If both teams are free scoring then the entertainment value is higher. A 4 - 3 win is better than a 1 - 0 sort of thing. (You may not agree)

Anyway, just a thought on tactics that you may have a better opinion on.

If the Yak and Saha play up front, could Jo get in behind the front two?

It would mean dropping someone else from midfield though, unless we went with five across the middle of the park.

Anyone got any ideas on this??

I always believed that a football team should score goals. It doesn't matter if the opposition scores so long as you score more than them. If both teams are free scoring then the entertainment value is higher. A 4 - 3 win is better than a 1 - 0 sort of thing. (You may not agree)

Anyway, just a thought on tactics that you may have a better opinion on.

If the Yak and Saha play up front, could Jo get in behind the front two?

It would mean dropping someone else from midfield though, unless we went with five across the middle of the park.

Anyone got any ideas on this??

at the minute i dont think the midfield is strong enough to play 2 up front,hence this is why we play most games with 1 up front allthough i would prefer the 442 system but to play this way the midfield needs to be very strong,and if we played the way you say i think we would be overun and concede a lot of goals ,just because you play three strikers in the team does not mean you will score lots of goals,you need to build from the back and midfield imo i would also like to win scoring lots of goals,but in the end,any winning score would do :D

I'm of the completely opposite school of tactics, the build on a strong defence.

My line of thought is that the 4-4-1-1 is the best modern formation, and it can be quite attacking too if you have the right players lining up.

You got:

--------------------------------- GK -----------------------------------

-- RB -------------------- CB -------- CB-----------------------LB---

-------------------------- DM ------- DLP -----------------------------

- RM -------------------------------------------------------------- LM-

------------------------------ AM/CF ----------------------------------

---------------------------------ST------------------------------------

DLP being Deep Lying Playmaker.

Our best current team being:

GK: Howard

RB: Hibbert (shiver)

CB: Jagielka

CB: Lescott

LB: Baines

DM: Neville

DLP: Arteta

RM: Osman (Needs replacing)

LM: Pienaar

AM: Cahill/Fellaini

ST: Yakubu

Having 2 players staying deep in Neville and Arteta allows the fullbacks free reign to roam up the wings. This is what we played last season to great success when Arteta was in the middle. However, we didn't have a striker then so we lost a lot of attack opportunities purely because Cahill and Fellaini didn't know how to move up top. Also our right-side was completely stagnant and didn't have any of the link-up play that our left side had.

The beauty of this formation is that we actually don't need a DM in this formation, Arteta has proven he can win back the ball and if we sign another midfielder who can play alongside him in the role (Moutinho, Defour etc.) then we can actually have 2 DLP's.

Another great thing about this formation is that it becomes much more attacking/defensive purely depending on who is playing. Looking to attack? Put Jo in Cahill's position, you've now pretty much got a 4-4-2. Need to defend? Put Neville in the middle and Cahill/Fellaini up front.

No wonder Moyes has used this formation so much over the last few years.

Whilst we have Cahill at Everton, and if we can find the right striker (could be The Yak, Vaughan etc) then we seem really hard to beat with 4-5-1.

At the end of the day Moyes should be looking to have a match day squad (I think teams are allowed an extra sub this year) capable of changing formation during the game.

1-0's bad for the health.....4-3's bad for the health.

Let's just go for 4-0's.....always makes those last few minutes of a match a pleasure.

The thing about 4-4-2 is that Cahill/Fellaini don't have a place to play, which is why they go missing...

4-1-2-1-2 could work, but it would mean Arteta playing in a very deep role, with Osman and Pienaar wide, and Cahill in behind 2 frontmen. That is pretty much the formation rubecula was saying but with Jo in Cahill's position.

i agree with the principle behind it, but it means 3 players are then going to stay up. Attacking, it does benefit our style of play, as the long ball works a hell of a lot better when you have 3 tall players to aim for instead of 1. The downside, is that defensively, Pienaar and Osman are out wide, and Arteta is left to stop any attack getting to the defence.

Imagine then playing against a formation like our current one, where there's one striker man marked, and then 5 midfielders and 2 full backs, all attacking at the same time. It's almost impossible to stop unless you're amazing in possession, like Barcelona, who can afford to play like that because they rarely lose the ball.

A good offense is the best defence in Spain, but in Britain, the premier league especially, it's the opposite at times. Having a good defence means that teams like Wigan and West Ham break apart on us, and by the end of the game if we play well we can get 4-0 scorelines.

The thing that annoys me the most is that when we play along the floor we're actually very good, we just don't do it consistently enough to challenge the teams above us.

Edited by The Regulator

I would play this, we obviously need a right winger. I would go in for some1 with raw pace who can beat a man and get balls in the box.

Fellaini and Arteta are good at coming deep for the ball and it would encourage us to keep it on the deck.

But the Yak might need someone with class up top with him.

----------------HOWARD-----------------

NEVILLE--JAGIELKA----LESCOTT-----BAINES

---------FELLAINI----ARTETA------------

????------------CAHILL----------PIENAAR

----------------YAKUBU-----------------