IGNORED

Transfer & Salary Cap

I caught a split second on SSN yesterday about this - i think Premier league rejected it. But I cannot find any solid news stories on it. ONly found evidence from a villa forum

http://www.villatalk.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=1827359

Does anyone have any light to shed on this and what are the views of fellow evertonians on this?

There's obviously positives and negatives in a Salary Cap, however I feel as though it just can't work in football for a few reasons.

Firstly, that forum talk claims that it would be based on how much money a club has to begin with and make a limit for them based on those figures. Whilst I think that's a decent idea, I still don't think it would work as it's unfair to teams perhaps say with constantly changing incomes. The recording and finalising the amount available for each club would be a hefty process and not ideal.

Secondly, I think too many teams would use the salary cap to their advantage in order to keep star players. By that I mean if a club was interested in aquiring the services of another team's player, I feel as though the other team would be given a major advantage in being able to keep the player as they could put a price on him over the interested team's cap.

Finally, I feel as though salary caps only work in competitions where each team has similar finances. For example, here in Australia our National Rugby League Competition is run using a salary cap, however if you looked at most teams income I'd say it would be fairly similar, unlike in football where Manchester City have billions and billions whilst we find it hard to fork out a few million for a player (yet we still do bloody well :)). Hypothetically though, if we were bought by a billionaire, I would want all funds available with no cap.

I thought a salary cap only affected a players wages not the transfer fee? correct me if im wrong?

If every1 has the same salary cap then players wil want to maximize their earnings so therefore the best players will be spread out amongest different clubs because they want the top earners place in the club therefore making the league more equal?

But im probly completly wrong i just thought thats how salary caps worked.

maybe add 3 marquee spots where those players can earn as much as they want where it wont affect the cap?

Before we go too far down the old salary cap path!......I hope you all realise how expencive it is to run a couple of Bently's, heat a swimming pool, maintain property abroad and pay the cleaner!!....Not to mention being able to own a 10 bedroom mansion or a castle.Average prem footballers wage!..£20,000 a week! Shit I'd seriously concider changing jobs if anyone tried to fix my wage to that amount.Yep let someone else try all that running around and kicking that ball about.....PLUS they have to work most Saturdays.

Salary cap.....my arse!

Before we go too far down the old salary cap path!......I hope you all realise how expencive it is to run a couple of Bently's, heat a swimming pool, maintain property abroad and pay the cleaner!!....Not to mention being able to own a 10 bedroom mansion or a castle.Average prem footballers wage!..£20,000 a week! Shit I'd seriously concider changing jobs if anyone tried to fix my wage to that amount.Yep let someone else try all that running around and kicking that ball about.....PLUS they have to work most Saturdays.

Salary cap.....my arse!

Funny enough i do...

Im not really a fan of it......teams & players will just use it to their advantage or work a way around it.....

If it was to be enforced though the most obvious method of calculating the cap would be based on a clubs turnover...

I wouldnt allow any star player exemptions either.... let them make there money through advertising.....

• 4 weeks later...

i really dont see what the big problem with it is. it would be very difficult to implement but not too difficult to maintain. could also go hand in hand with the plan to limit clubs to spending within their means.

off the top of my head (ie, idealworld), a basic "low" wage should be set for each league and players would earn their money in more lucrative bonuses: goals, assists, clean sheets etc and deductions for yellow/red cards etc.

i like idealworld. its nice and fair here...

Before we go too far down the old salary cap path!......I hope you all realise how expencive it is to run a couple of Bently's, heat a swimming pool, maintain property abroad and pay the cleaner!!....Not to mention being able to own a 10 bedroom mansion or a castle.Average prem footballers wage!..£20,000 a week! crap I'd seriously concider changing jobs if anyone tried to fix my wage to that amount.Yep let someone else try all that running around and kicking that ball about.....PLUS they have to work most Saturdays.

Salary cap.....my arse!

No footballer would switch jobs if they put in a salery cap. other then being an incredable singer, amazing actor or amazing at tennis or golf, can you make that money outside of football.

View Post Blue 250, on 10 Aug 2009 - 15:30, said:

Before we go too far down the old salary cap path!......I hope you all realise how expencive it is to run a couple of Bently's, heat a swimming pool, maintain property abroad and pay the cleaner!!....Not to mention being able to own a 10 bedroom mansion or a castle.Average prem footballers wage!..£20,000 a week! crap I'd seriously concider changing jobs if anyone tried to fix my wage to that amount.Yep let someone else try all that running around and kicking that ball about.....PLUS they have to work most Saturdays.

Salary cap.....my arse!

No footballer would switch jobs if they put in a salery cap. other then being an incredable singer, amazing actor or amazing at tennis or golf, can you make that money outside of football.

I think Blue250s Post was full of sarcasm, i dont think you picked up on that. :D:D