IGNORED

The Scam

Lowensda

WRONG :D But you already know that ;)

you keep telling me i am wrong But ... the shopkeeper has received nothing from either party.

He has given i guy 29 pounds and a 15 pound pair of shoes, = £44

He has also given the next door shop owner .....................£50.

Looks like a £94 pound loss to me. :). headagainstwall_01.gif

I said earlier, that all answers are acceptable but it does'nt mean they are correct.

you keep telling me i am wrong But ... the shopkeeper has received nothing from either party.

Looks like a £94 pound loss to me. .

Now take away the £21 he has in the till (after giving the customer £29 with real money that he had changed from the guy next door change) equals £73 :D:P

Aaah. now thats looking more like it. I'll settle for £73. ;) Or will I.

The 21 pound in the till is status quo in return for the shoes, so in fact he has'nt gained 21 pounds, that evens itself out by giving away the shoes. Therefore there was not a 6 pound profit on the shoes.

Still comes out at £94 pounds for me.

Ive dissected it once again and here is how it goes ...........

A man walks into a shop and is given 29 pounds and a pair of shoes worth 21 pounds, the shopkeeper has received nothing, so he is already 50 pounds down, the man leaves with his shoes. Then the next door shop owner comes in and asks for 50 pounds, again he has received nothing so now he is 100 pounds down. But seeing as the shoes only cost 15 pounds to make and not 21 pounds, he is in fact now only 94 pounds down.

Now tell me, are those workings right or wrong. ;)

Yes he did. He received a real 50 pound note right? Which he got from the next door shop owner. If he hadn't received 50 pounds from the enxt door shop owner, then why did he have to give it back to him?

Looks like a £94 pound loss to me. :). headagainstwall_01.gif

Before he had to give the next door shop owner 50 pounds, he did receive 50 pounds from that shop owner .. right? He went in to exchange the fake 50 for the real 50. Remember? So all he did was give the shop owner next door his 50 pounds back.

So when you say he gave a guy 29 pounds and a pair of shoes which totals 44 pounds, you are correct.

But in regards to the next door shop owner, he only gave him back the fifty pounds that the next door shop owner had first given to him!

I'm beginning to think you're not even reading the explanations that were given :).

Edited by holystove

Looks like a £94 pound loss to me. .

Now take away the £21 he has in the till (after giving the customer £29 with real money that he had changed from the guy next door change) equals £73 :D:P

94 - 21 = 73 .. you're correct there :).

But explain how you get to 94 ? Seeing how Bill got there is wrong (see my previous post).

ok, here goes for two explanations for £73 and also a simplified £44.

Shoes made = -£15

Fake money is changed, so shoes are now bought with real money

Shoes purchased = + £21

Change given = -£29

Real money returned to other shopkeeper = - £50

The maths on that equals -£73.

Now the simplified -£44 answer.

There are only three transactions

Shoes made = -£15

Shoes bought = + £21

Real money returned = - £50

The maths on that equals -£44

Now the real confusion and crux is that while some people are saying the guy gave £50 real money back. It may be that they are talking about £50 that does not include the £21 in the till, however, if you use that £21 from the till and just add another £29 to make up the difference that is how you get -£44. Both answers are applicable which of course some of us knew from our deducing. ;)

Edited by The Beard

A simple way of looking at it is, expenditure against income.

Expense paid out -- Shoes £15, Change given out £29, Paid to next door £50. = £94.

Income received ---- Shoes £21 .................................................................. = £21

To me that looks like Beards original loss of £73... Feasable ? Acceptable ? Yes on both counts.

Expense paid out -- Shoes £15, Change given out £29, Paid to next door £50. = £94.

Income received ---- Shoes £21 .................................................................. = £21

To me that looks like Beards original loss of £73... Feasable ? Acceptable ? Yes on both counts.

Thank you kind Sir. I knew my Masters in Quantaum Mathematics would come in handy one day. B)

By the way the good lady and myself are holding a themed dinner party this evening. The theme is the useage of Monopoly money while trying to deduce monetary riddles, I wonder what results that will conjure up. :lol:

Theres always the one about 4 people going for a meal.

At the end of the night the waitress asks for £40 so they all give £10 each

When she gets to the till the lady says the bill is only £35

So to make it easy she gives each of the Diners £1 back and keeps the other £1 as a tip.

So now the 4 diners have only paid £9 each. 4 x 9 = 36 plus the 1 the waitress kept as a tip = 37. The figures dont add up, or do they ????

:sad01_anim:

Expense paid out -- Shoes £15, Change given out £29, Paid to next door £50 = £94.

Income received ----- Shoes 0£ (fake 50), £50 from next door ...................... = £50

94 - 50 = 44.

ok, here goes for two explanations for £73 and also a simplified £44.

Shoes made = -£15

Shoes purchased = + £21

Change given = -£29

Why would he give 29 pounds change if he only received 21? Surely he gave 29 pounds change on receiving 50 pounds.

Shoes made = -£15

Shoes purchased = + £50

Change given = -£29

Result from this exchange = + £21

The maths on that equals (-15 + 21 -50) -£44.

Edited by holystove

I repeat,

Shoes made = -£15

Shoes purchased = + £21

Change given = -£29

Now the simplified -£44 answer.

There are only three transactions

Shoes made = -£15

Shoes bought = + £21

Real money returned = - £50

The maths on that equals -£44

Now the real confusion and crux is that while some people are saying the guy gave £50 real money back. It may be that they are talking about £50 that does not include the £21 in the till, however, if you use that £21 from the till and just add another £29 to make up the difference that is how you get -£44. Both answers are applicable which of course some of us knew from our deducing. ;)

:smile_anim:

I repeat,

:smile_anim:

Oh ok.. makes sense :blink: . Here's another riddle for you :

Two guys are walking down the street. Let's call them Bill and The Beard. Bill spots 50 pounds on the road and picks it up. They decide to go into the pub and buy drinks until the 50 pounds are fully spent.

Two hours later they walk out of the pub. A man approaches and says he lost 50 pounds and saw Bill pick it up. Bill believes him and gives him 50 pounds.

The Beard says to Bill : "now you've spent 50 in the pub and you gave that man 50 pounds. So you're down a 100 for the day."

Bill thinks for a second and says : "that's both a feasible and acceptable answer." :).

Two guys are walking down the street. Let's call them Bill and The Beard. Bill spots 50 pounds on the road and picks it up. They decide to go into the pub and buy drinks until the 50 pounds are fully spent.

Two hours later they walk out of the pub. A man approaches and says he lost 50 pounds and saw Bill pick it up. Bill believes him and gives him 50 pounds.

The Beard says to Bill : "now you've spent 50 in the pub and you gave that man 50 pounds. So you're down a 100 for the day."

Bill thinks for a second and says : "that's both a feasible and acceptable answer." :).

Quality :lol: .

Theres always the one about 4 people going for a meal.

At the end of the night the waitress asks for £40 so they all give £10 each

When she gets to the till the lady says the bill is only £35

So to make it easy she gives each of the Diners £1 back and keeps the other £1 as a tip.

So now the 4 diners have only paid £9 each. 4 x 9 = 36 plus the 1 the waitress kept as a tip = 37. The figures dont add up, or do they ????

Nobody going for this one . ??? :)

Oh ok.. makes sense :blink: . Here's another riddle for you :

Now that is a great story except for the following,

1. Bill spend two hours in the pub with me, no way. He would be under the table before 30 minutes. :lmaosmiley:

2). Bill gives someone £50, you having a laugh. :lol:

3). I would have seen the £50 first and made an excuse to leave Bill and spend the dosh for myself. :D