IGNORED

Everton Questions

MikeO

Having a leaf through a trivia book I bought my lad a while back thought I'd set a few posers....

When did Everton score eight at Anfield (not when it was our home)?

Since the eighties an Everton player has scored at both ends in a game on six occasions. Name the five players (one did it twice) to have done it. Bonus (imaginary) point for the guy that did it twice in the fifties.

Which two Everton goalkeepers have played on the left wing for the club?

On what occasion was the number sequence 7 9 7 9 8 9 9 7 shown on the Goodison scoreboard?

What's the fastest ever goal scored by a blue at Goodison?

I am only aware of the one with the number sequence, think it was Southampton at home 8 - 1 or something like that, and the numbers are the scorers Johnson 7, Royle 9, and Ball 8.

But there again i might be miles off the correct answer. :D

Is the first a trick question, such as he may be a rugby player called Everton.

Neville Southall played outfield in a couple of friendlies, maybe he played left wing, I think Bill is right on the Southampton game when we won 8-0 and it was on Match of the Day.

I'm working on the own goals question and is the last one also a trick or are you after an Everton footballer?

I am only aware of the one with the number sequence, think it was Southampton at home 8 - 1 or something like that, and the numbers are the scorers Johnson 7, Royle 9, and Ball 8.

But there again i might be miles off the correct answer. :D

That's spot on Bill (apart from it was 8-0)....missed the answer because I was replying to Spidey :) .

Is the first a trick question, such as he may be a rugby player called Everton.

No....proper match at Anfield but (clue) the opposition wasn't Liverpool.

Neville Southall played outfield in a couple of friendlies, maybe he played left wing...

No.....one was in 1937 and the other in 1964.

I'm working on the own goals question and is the last one also a trick or are you after an Everton footballer?

Fastest goal no trick it is an Everton player. A legend in fact.

Does Osman against Arsenal last year count?

No....the book was published in 2008 :) .

can't think of many goals quicker than rhino against fulham in moyes' first game?

That was after thirty seconds....the fastest one was after fourteen :) .

That's in senior games....Dave Johnson scored after six seconds against ManU in the FA Youth Cup in 1969 :) .

For some reason Kenny Sansom just came into my head, did he score his only goal for us as well as an own goal in the same game?

No...'fraid not (I'd completely forgotten he played for us at all :o ).

To narrow it down it happened four times (three different players) between '84 and '86, once in '91 and once in 2001. All defenders apart from '91 when it was a striker.

Pat Van den Hauwe did it in an FA Cup game against Blackburn, I think. Did Graeme Sharp manage the feat of scoring at both ends?

VDH v Blackburn is right.

Sharpy never did it, though he played up front at times with the striker who did do it during the season in question :P .

Here's another interesting fact. I'll give you the answer though because it's too random.

Who's the only player ever to miss a penalty against Everton for two different clubs?

Alan Ball :lol: ! For Arsenal and Southampton. You just have to believe he did it on purpose.

VDH v Blackburn is right.

Sharpy never did it, though he played up front at times with the striker who did do it during the season in question :P .

On a roll now, Mike Newell against Southampton away. I think we won 4-3 but were coasting at one stage when Newell scored a 25 yard headed own goal.

David Unsworth, og, then penalty equaliser, I think a night game, possibly, Newcastle.

On a roll now, Mike Newell against Southampton away. I think we won 4-3 but were coasting at one stage when Newell scored a 25 yard headed own goal.

David Unsworth, og, then penalty equaliser, I think a night game, possibly, Newcastle.

I must admit my nephew got this one. It was the first time he had gone to an away game by train, accompanied by myself and it was derek Mountfield in the 5-4 thrilling win at Vicarage Road, mid 80's. :D.Then I followed up with Mountfield again the following season against the same opposition. Possibly the only time this as ever happened

Edited by The Beard

One to go.....

Mountfield v Watford (a) 29/09/84

???????????

Van den Hauwe v Blackburn (h) 25/01/86

Mountfield v Watford (h) 25/10/86

Newell v Southampton (a) 16/03/91

Unsworth v Newcastle (h) 3/03/01

The earlier one (who probably only Bill will remember) was Cyril Lello, who did it in '52 & '55 v Swansea and Huddersfield.

I am plumping for Gary Stevens, maybe in a 2-1 win over West Ham?

The 8 goal game, my old man (although he isn't old enough to have been present) thinks, that during some building work at the original Goodison we had to play at Anfield, so late 1880's to early 1890's, no idea who against without checking.

Edited by The Beard

I am plumping for Gary Stevens, maybe in a 2-1 win over West Ham?

Right player but the wrong game....was this one.

The 8 goal game, my old man (although he isn't old enough to have been present) thinks, that during some building work at the original Goodison we had to play at Anfield, so late 1880's to early 1890's, no idea who against without checking.

It was in the fifties. Clue...it was a neutral venue :) .

• 1 month later...

Ok Mike, as you can see this took so long, we didn't cheat and when I say we I mean a couple of drinking buddies. Finally one of their granddads has offered Everton 8 Tranmere 2 in a Liverpool senior Cup final in the 50's, played at Anfield. :unsure:

Fastest goal, if it is first team, I am informed that Howard Kendall once scored straight from the kick off in a league game :unsure:

Ok Mike, as you can see this took so long, we didn't cheat and when I say we I mean a couple of drinking buddies. Finally one of their granddads has offered Everton 8 Tranmere 2 in a Liverpool senior Cup final in the 50's, played at Anfield. :unsure:

Fastest goal, if it is first team, I am informed that Howard Kendall once scored straight from the kick off in a league game :unsure:

Nearly perfect...

It was the Liverpool Senior Cup final in 1959 and it was 8-5 :) .

Kendall it was...fourteen seconds in...

28th March 1970

"The ball is played into the Chelsea box by Sandy Brown from the kick-off and, after being headed out by John Dempsey, the ball runs to Howard who slots home after beating two men. Everton win 5-2 and clinch the title four days later."