IGNORED

Belgium National Team

Mello, usual formal introductions again.

Right to be as short and as sweet as possible i've gone and put £50 (each way)on Belgium to win or become runners up in a major football tournament (Euro/WC)

I have been keeping an eye out for them ever since our very own Fro'heading Belgium joined us, and our consistant linkage with a certain 'Steven'.

To say Belgium have all the credentials to be a very successful team is an understatement, they've got potentially, some truely world class talent starting to make their way into the fold and most of them are still 'disgustingly young' (most of them being younger than me)

So i really wanted to show you the team i would look for in the future, and have peoples feedback on it.

Potentially brilliant Belgium :

------------------------------- Lukaku --------------------------------

-----------De Bruyne------- Hazard ------------Witzel-----------------

----------------------Fellaini ----------Defour -----------------------

-----Vertonghen ----- Kompany ------ Vermaelen ------ Vanden Borre ------

-------------------------------Courtouis -------------------------------

Subs: Mignolet, Alderwireld, Lomaerts, Leager, Mertens, Vossen, Ogunjimi

Those native to this country may feel my selection to be poor or wrongly set-up, if so could you highlight where you think the team could succeed and which players you would play, where and why? :)

Hopefully i haven't just burnt £50 :mellow:

So thoughts really????

Edited by tenaciousj

I'd line up like this:

Courtois

Boyata Kompany Vertonghen Vermaelen

Defour Fellaini

Hazard Witsel De Bruyne

Lukaku

Don't think Vanden Borre will ever fulfill his potential. Apart from that, you really do seem to know what you're talking about :D I'm afraid runners up or winners is a bit much though.

first or second is a bit optimistic but it is looking good for us..

Our backs are a problem though, we'll probably have to put a few of our center backs there, we have alot of good ones of those and as Steve said VDB is a bit of a liability..

also we have a few good left wingers with De Bruyne, Mertens and Chadli.. in my opinion the last two would do more then good at Everton, and they might fit in the budget..

about your team Ten, It's a good one! But i would drop VDB, Witsel and Defour will have to challenge each other for a place in CM. I would place De Bruyne in the middle, Hazard on the Right and Mertens/Chadli on the left..

Where did you find out about Courtois btw?

Edited by Churinga

The reason i put Hazard in the centre was due to Lille moving him more central at the back-end of the season just gone, he seemed highly effective in that role. I would have put Witzel central only due to the form of Hazard. I know that some of you guys have said in the WItzel thread that recently he's been more effective in the CAM role.

The reason i put VDB in, was because i wasn't sure on the capability of Boyata, due to his lack of first team. (that being said we can look at our Jonny lol)

I was close to include Mertens, but there's just too much talent to choose from ;)

Courtois is one of the hidden 'secrets' of young european talent, one of those players who has the initial ability to be very very good and hopefully, his showings so far have signaled his potential. Alot of the bigger teams like the hype of players like De Gea but you can tell if this kid keeps developing the way he can, he'll make a big impression at one of the 'brink' clubs of Europe (by that i mean teams on the verge of CL).

The odds!? I'll only reveal when/if i win :D Oh and Louis, the reason i put £50 on? I was planning on putting some money on them anyway but a scratchcard win of....£50 just helped things a little :P Plus the bookies was only over the road from the shop!

But honestly, i genuinely think they can do well. If Belgium had a manager like Hiddink for example, doing 'A Greece' wouldn't seem too far fetched! They're young, hungry and very talented :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'll use this thread to talk about a few potentially interesting players to everton..

Subs: Mignolet, Alderwireld, Lomaerts, Leager, Mertens, Vossen, Ogunjimi

Mertens singed for PSV today in a package deal. Mertens and dutch promising midfielder Kevin Strootman are leaving Utrecht for Eindhoven. the price for both was 13 million euros, after a previous offer for the both of 10 million euros was turned down by Utrecht.

dutch link: http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/voetbal/buitenland/Nederland/110628_Mertens_PSV

Mertens is a left midfielder/winger just turned 24, with a talent for giving assists.. (24 assists in 47 official games last season, also 14 goals scored)

imo a big chance missed by Everton.

Another (possibly interesting) belgian alternative for the left flank is 21 year old Nacer Chadli from FC Twente. this one is a bit more of a risk as he only played one season on the dutch highest level (coming from the dutch second divison) but he scored 14 goals in his first season. i think he will stay at Twente for next season. let's see how he does..

Edited by Churinga

Technically Mertens is very good, his dribbling and control are great and he isn't afraid to shoot from distance either (something we lack). The only concern would be his size, he's only a little'n but then again, that hasn't stopped players in the past.

I mean Silva's not huge, is he! I know what you mean tho Chur', shame, he would have been a perfect replacement for Peinaar and would have become a better player!?

Technically Mertens is very good, his dribbling and control are great and he isn't afraid to shoot from distance either (something we lack). The only concern would be his size, he's only a little'n but then again, that hasn't stopped players in the past.

I mean Silva's not huge, is he! I know what you mean tho Chur', shame, he would have been a perfect replacement for Peinaar and would have become a better player!?

i thought so too for a long time, but you're right. even more, it might just be a advantage to be a little less tall when technique is you're thing :)

Edited by Churinga

On a slightly different note, how come Standard Liege's academy is so good? What do they do differently?

Before i write this reply I must say i might not be 100% unbiased in this subject, i'll try my best though ;)

As far as youth goes they don't do that much different as far as I know, But they have a new academy build a few years ago, and i recall a journalist said once it's best in it's kind infrastructurewise in Belgium.

as far as players produced recently(i hope I'm not forgetting someone) 3 Outstanding players have come true: Carcela, Witsel and ofcourse Fellaini. apart from them i don't think they produced that many useful players for them. Mangala only spent one year in their youth ranks, and Pocognoli has been at standard in his youth but finished his youth career at Genk.

I'm not trying to say they did bad, but truly exceptional? I don't know. I find it hard to compare. But at this moment I don't rate the academies of Genk and Anderlecht any less higher than that of Standard. Genk gained the title with 5 players from own academy as regular starters, and Anderlecht have a few very highly rated youngsters on their way..

I think the succes of standard in the last 3-4 years comes from a good transfer policy under chairman Luciano d'Onofrio Primarily, and some good homegrown players secondly.

I am not well informed about any promising youngsters on their way at Standard. Maybe Steve-E can share more about the subject, I think he is a Standard fan.

what do you know about Leager? i saw something about us being linked with him

he's a very good Winger, very fast and has a good shot at goal (check youtube for his goal against Bilbao)

The only problem is he can't play 10 games in a row without getting himself Injured.. if it wasn't for that he would fit in perfectly at almost any premier league club, including Everton.

edit: I just released Legaer was also a standard youth product! According to wikipedia standard saw no future in him, so anderlecht took him of their hands.

Edited by Churinga

Indeed, Standard invested a lot of money in their infrastructure. But there is still quite a bit of criticism because they still focus a lot on physical and tactical qualities rather than technical. Anderlecht have the same problem. Genk does have a reputation for focusing on technical abilities. I think the main reason a lot of Belgian footballers (Fellaini, Witsel, Carcela, Pocognoli, Legear, Mirallas, Chadli) have played for Standard is that they are the only big Walloon side so naturally they attract a large part of the top Walloon talents. Another reason they have gained this reputation is that they have decided to give youngsters a chance in their first team, not only their own academy players but also those from other teams (like Fellaini and Mangala, whom they both bought when they were about 16/17 and then dropped them in the team only a year later).

• 2 weeks later...

Bye bye career then

Sportsmail's John Edwards revealed Chelsea's interest in the young goalkeeper last year and it has gathered pace despite Tottenham, Atletico Madrid and Manchester City also expressing a desire to sign the teenager.

Courtois was given a public rebuke by his father last month after revealing that conversations had taken place with Chelsea and was told to show more respect for Genk, the club that had brought him up.

Talks with the Stamford Bridge club continued last week and further negotiations are expected tomorrow.

His father Thierry confirmed: 'He was in in Chelsea last week.'

Now the Belgians would like Courtois to be loaned back for a season to continue his development and that may appeal to Chelsea.

They want to groom the 6ft 6ins keeper as Petr Cech's replacement but know playing every week is of greater benefit particularly in a good side where his confidence should not be exposed.

Chelsea's interest in another Belgian Romelu Lukaku may be put on hold for a month though as they weigh up their striking options

Bye bye career then

Apparently he has a deal with Chelsea and they have a deal with Genk for 9 million euros (about £8million). Hopefully he won't mess up his career by spending the next 6 years on Chelsea's bench (Cech's only 29 years old). Belgium needs him playing regular first team football! :D

Edited by Steve_E

Apparently he has a deal with Chelsea and they have a deal with Genk for 9 million euros (about £8million). Hopefully he won't mess up his career by spending the next 6 years on Chelsea's bench (Cech's only 29 years old). Belgium needs him playing regular first team football! :D

Today he didn't show up at the traditional fanday friendly game (against Lyon).. because he didn't want to play for another year on loan at Genk like both clubs agreed (and despite saying he wanted the latter multiple times in the past). Apperantly making only half a million euro in a year was to little.. He played at Genk since 1999 and yet so little respect.

Oh well, at least we've gotten good money out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Right to be as short and as sweet as possible i've gone and put £50 (each way)on Belgium to win or become runners up in a major football tournament (Euro/WC)

Important information for your Bet, the group for Belgiums WC '14 qualification:

Croatia

Serbia

Belgium

Scotland

Wales

Macedonia

Could have been worse if you ask me

Edited by Churinga

Important information for your Bet, the group for Belgiums WC '14 qualification:

Croatia

Serbia

Belgium

Scotland

Wales

Macedonia

Could have been worse if you ask me

WORSE? I'm Welsh and this bloody group is SOLID! Mind you the way we are playing at the mo we'd make mincemeat out of Macedonia and the jocks!rolleyes.gif Oh ok I really can't see us getting more than four points tbh.sad.png

Chur-man, what's the hype around Jordan Lukaku, Dennis Praet and Lamisha Musonda like? Look like top prospects or promising youngsters who might get a look in?

Dennis Praet is definitely the most talented of those three. Did great in pre-season. Might get a look in this season. I believe he's a traditional nr 10 type of player. Jordan Lukaku isn't as talented as his brother and I hear he played rather badly for Anderlecht in pre-season. He's probably only fourth choice left back as well. Lamisha Musonda is the son of Charly Musonda, a former Anderlecht player who now works at the club as a youth coach I believe. He's probably only at the club because Anderlecht want his younger brother Charly Musonda jr. (who's believed to be some sort of Xavi type playmaker) to stay as well. Charly jr is wanted by City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid...

http://www.sporza.be....7799/1.1008886

1:30 in you can see him play for a bit.

Edited by Steve_E