IGNORED

Stick With What We've Got?

MikeO

Preparing us for no signings. Not that we needed it.

Ive been like that from the finish of last season. Ofc i would like to see some refreshment and improve added to our team, but if were skint we just fookin are. If our players just could get full season without horrible injuryproblems, we would do just a fine season. Our starting 11 is strong, no doubt about it, problem is just that we get that best 11 on pitch just like a 5 games in a season. Exciting youngsters coming and very interesting to see them in action. Baines,Distin,Jags(Johnny),Neville(Hibbo/Coleman)- Gueye(Bily),Felli(Rodwell),Arteta(Osman,Barkley),Cahill, Coleman- Saha,Becks,Yak(Hope) It definitely is a squad with results possible in prem and fac, and im sure i even forgot some players when wrote this. Just happy to wait next season, get finances bit better without spending, and may be this is the season i finally sit in Goodison Park :P i should had done that like 10y ago but dunno what has been holding me out of there lol.

I think Beckford's movement and instincts are top, top class. He's got pace as well. Those are things that can't be taught really.

Oftentimes Beckford's lack of a proper footballing education is evident. I think that he has the footballing maturity of a 20-21 year old striker. I definitely think he has buckets of potential to improve.

Also, I was delighted with his attitude last season. We heard a lot about him being trouble or a moaner but he put his head down and was happy to put in the graft required of him.

I think your spot on. He impressed me certainly with his movement, and whilst he did miss some sitters, there is a £50mil striker in London who isnt even getting into positions to miss sitters, so to miss some yet still score a decent amount is impressive. The one problem he has is that, the partnership of him and Cahill doesnt work as he isnt suited to playing as a lone striker (neither is Saha tbh). He needs to be playing alongside someone else to be at his best.

Like Mike's first post I do think we have a very good squad. Yes a couple of new faces would help but we have more than enough quality to compete with the best. I was one of the 'over-optimists' last season, and maybe I am being again, but we have no excuses for not pushing the top 4 clubs. We lost a majority of our points against the crap teams, mainly due to poor tactics and a sense of complacency from our key players.

I have said this on here plenty of times before but I still wouldnt get rid of Yakubu, especially not one that has proved he can score goals. IF he gets lazy in a game(which he will) you give him a bollocking and tell him to buck his ideas up or haul him off. If you can get him ticking he will score goals and he will contribute heavily to the success of the team. Our best half last year was against Liverpool at home where he bossed their back 4, which shows he can do it, and whilst I wouldnt necessarily expect him to do that week in week out, if he gets somewhere near that standard of play then we will have a good season.

How well we do this season will be dependent on Moyes' tactical flexibility. If he wants to stick with the same players, same formation, same mentality regardless of opposition and results then we will have yet another up and down season. If he decides that we are going to really have a go, pick players in their natural positions, have a go at lesser teams from the start and drop players who arent performing even if it is for one of the youngsters then we will have a great chance of doing well. I remember thos home games against Chelsea and Man Utd two seasons ago where we showed them no respect, ruffled their feathers and had a proper go... I didnt see that attitude very often at all last season.

If we don't lose anybody we still have room for optimism.

The fact that we always get it together eventually shows we can dominate most teams in the league on our day, and against the bigger sides our results are improving.

Beckford should be quietly confident now, as should Coleman, and we might see a bit more from our young players. Moyes just needs to have us playing decent stuff by the time we face the first match and we should get off to a better start.

We're currently joint top of the league as it stands now, so all to play for.

I want to see all players playing for their places. If you play poor, you sit down. We can't have favourites. Players should be picked on merit and current form.

If we do that, we can challenge for Europe once again without having to worry about bringing in players. Our squad is already very good.

Chin up lads.

If we don't lose anybody we still have room for optimism.

The fact that we always get it together eventually shows we can dominate most teams in the league on our day, and against the bigger sides our results are improving.

Beckford should be quietly confident now, as should Coleman, and we might see a bit more from our young players. Moyes just needs to have us playing decent stuff by the time we face the first match and we should get off to a better start.

We're currently joint top of the league as it stands now, so all to play for.

I want to see all players playing for their places. If you play poor, you sit down. We can't have favourites. Players should be picked on merit and current form.

If we do that, we can challenge for Europe once again without having to worry about bringing in players. Our squad is already very good.

Chin up lads.

I have to agree with you. We're returning with the same squad (currently) that finished in seventh last season, and if we can just carry our end-of-season form from last year to the start of this year (and of course finish consistently) then there is no doubt in my mind that we could finish fifth, or even fourth. I do recognize the potential of injuries though. Honestly, I at least expect sixth. happy.png Go ahead and say I'm overly optimistic. COYB

Edited by TonkaRoost

I have to agree with you. We're returning with the same squad (currently) that finished in seventh last season, and if we can just carry our end-of-season form from last year to the start of this year (and of course finish consistently) then there is no doubt in my mind that we could finish fifth, or even fourth. I do recognize the potential of injuries though. Honestly, I at least expect sixth. happy.png Go ahead and say I'm overly optimistic. COYB

Your over optimistic... I expect fourth :D

“That doesn’t mean we don’t have quality now, but we have a small squad and we will get injuries – that is the Premier League – so it could be tough. One or two players would definitely help.” -Distin

I would have to agree with this part of the article the most. I do believe we have the quality to finish 6 and up, but injuries always seem to hinder us

In relation to Mike's initial post on this subject - I agree. There is plenty of doom and gloom around but there are many teams that would like to do a straight swap for ours - the likes of Villa included I would suggest.

The bookies don't tend to get things too wrong - they have us as 7th favourites for the title (and the cups) - in effect they rank us 7th.

We really do need 1 or 2 additions, even if it was just to give better cover for the inevitable injuries etc. But if it doesn't happen, we get on with it and do what Everton do, we give it our best.

PS - not been on here for ages. So hello to those that remember me! Glad to be back. COYB