IGNORED

Stick With What We've Got?

MikeO

The Prisoners post on us having no option but to sell Felli if the Madrid rumour turns out to be true got me thinking.

This time last year there was an unusual amount of optimism about for the season ahead....soon punctured by the poor start.

Should we not be equally optimistic this year? We've got the same squad of players with the addition of the occasionally useful Beckford. Yak's (at the moment) back and could possibly be in the mood. Seamus has stepped up, Gueye and Velios have had a few promising cameos and Barkley and Baxter are closer to challenging.

I don't see that any of the teams around us have made big steps forward, so I don't think we have to sell anyone....and certainly not Fellaini (or Baines imo).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a winger or two and a twenty goal striker but if we get a decent start and play close to our potential then I think we could have a very good season with what we've got.

The Prisoners post on us having no option but to sell Felli if the Madrid rumour turns out to be true got me thinking.

This time last year there was an unusual amount of optimism about for the season ahead....soon punctured by the poor start.

Should we not be equally optimistic this year? We've got the same squad of players with the addition of the occasionally useful Beckford. Yak's (at the moment) back and could possibly be in the mood. Seamus has stepped up, Gueye and Velios have had a few promising cameos and Barkley and Baxter are closer to challenging.

I don't see that any of the teams around us have made big steps forward, so I don't think we have to sell anyone....and certainly not Fellaini (or Baines imo).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a winger or two and a twenty goal striker but if we get a decent start and play close to our potential then I think we could have a very good season with what we've got.

I think I would tend to agree with you.

I didnt beleive all the hype last summer when I think people were getting a bit carried away with themselves and were being far too optamistic.

Likewise I dont think its all doom and gloom for next season.

the reason i said that was that no one has shown a proper interest in Rodwell or Arteta, probably the 2 players who we could let go if needed, Fellani will hopefully stay, as i do think he could be a world class player within a season or two, creativity does not have to come from the middle, it can come from out wide, so if Gueye gets a good chance then we might have something going on there, also, word is that Yak is looking very trim and sharp at the moment, if he could find any kind of form like we all know he has, then he can score the goals needed, then as mentioned Vellios's has not had a proper run in the team yet, he could turn out to be a decent player, we don't know yet, also there is still Silva in the background who must be nearly ready for first team action soon?

but we do need to freshen up abit, its always a good thing, we have a few players who are getting on now, and it would help to bring in a new face or two, not just to provide options but also just to give the squad a bit of a boost, surely the players get as pissed off as we do when they see that nowt is going on all the time, and other teams are making changes all the time

And who may I ask will step up to the plate to offer any creativity? Osman?

Osman could do, in fairness he has offered more when he has played than when mikel has played for a while.

If we had two good wingers we could shift the creativity out wide.

osman was twice the player arteta was last season..even though i criticise him cos i expect better from his shooting but arteta was dog wank pretty much every game last year..osman was our player of the 2nd half of the season for me..also i'd have no qualms about givin rodwell a try in the creative role if we got rid of mikel

I disagree. I think we can finish 8th, 9th or 10th next season, but without a striker, playing well and fit for most of the season, we can do no better. There is a distinct lack of creativity and pace in our team that i think gets more exposed every season. When teams play against us, they know they can commit players forward as we don't have the pace to counter attack and expose their lack of numbers at the back. We also now only have one player, Arteta, who has that creative spark. Piennar had it and we are seriously going to miss him this season. Especially his combination with Baines own the left.

Can we drag Limpar and Kanchelskis out of retirement, as they are the two type of players this club badly needs. :D

I disagree. I think we can finish 8th, 9th or 10th next season, but without a striker, playing well and fit for most of the season, we can do no better. There is a distinct lack of creativity and pace in our team that i think gets more exposed every season. When teams play against us, they know they can commit players forward as we don't have the pace to counter attack and expose their lack of numbers at the back. We also now only have one player, Arteta, who has that creative spark. Piennar had it and we are seriously going to miss him this season. Especially his combination with Baines own the left.

Can we drag Limpar and Kanchelskis out of retirement, as they are the two type of players this club badly needs. :D

not sure I agree. We were crap in the 1st half of the season again (when we had him) and much improved in the second half (without him). Same could be said for Felli to I suppose. Pienaar did lots of running but very little end product in my opinion. I really wanted him to stay but since he left ive not really noticed him missing. Baines took 3-4 games to get used to not having him there but adjusted fine. Arteta played well out left, Ossie is an ACM and easily as creative as Arteta - much better control and at breaking up play though passing and shooting not as good.

Im with Mike to an extent, we dont need new players but only if we want to hover around 7/8th. We do need 1-2 new, 1st team players to push us back up.

I only thought we would finish somewhere between 6-10th last season anyway. It was obvious last summer that we needed a back up LB( if Baines got injured we would really come unstuck both from a defensive viewpoint and a creative one), a RW and a CF. The only thing that has changed since then is we now need a LW as well.

So from that perspective I am equally optamistic about our chance this year

The main reason for our poor showing last season was that in the first half of the season we didnt have a CF on the books who knew where the back of the net was. If, and I know its a big if, we can get Saha up and running early doors and keep him fit we should be ok.

Hopefully Beckford has now found his feet at this level so he should be capable of grabbing us a few goals as well

I only thought we would finish somewhere between 6-10th last season anyway. It was obvious last summer that we needed a back up LB( if Baines got injured we would really come unstuck both from a defensive viewpoint and a creative one), a RW and a CF. The only thing that has changed since then is we now need a LW as well.

So from that perspective I am equally optamistic about our chance this year

The main reason for our poor showing last season was that in the first half of the season we didnt have a CF on the books who knew where the back of the net was. If, and I know its a big if, we can get Saha up and running early doors and keep him fit we should be ok.

Hopefully Beckford has now found his feet at this level so he should be capable of grabbing us a few goals as well

That's just not going to happen and we know it. The reason we got him were down to his injury problems.

Beckford i don't think is a top 10 premier league club striker. Smart move by Moyes as i think he'll move on for a couple of million soon to a Championship side, like Leicester, but we are pinning our hopes on him scoring goals consistently and Saha staying fit all season, then i'm afraid our hopes will be dashed.

not sure why people are that down on beckford not making it as a goalscorer..goal to minutes ratio was top notch last season wasn't it? it was in the top 5 close to the end..and that was after it took him a while to find his feet! he is gonna miss a sitter or two now an then but he can get us 10-15 goals a season at least and with the scoring midfield we have that is fine with me..

I think Beckford's movement and instincts are top, top class. He's got pace as well. Those are things that can't be taught really.

Oftentimes Beckford's lack of a proper footballing education is evident. I think that he has the footballing maturity of a 20-21 year old striker. I definitely think he has buckets of potential to improve.

Also, I was delighted with his attitude last season. We heard a lot about him being trouble or a moaner but he put his head down and was happy to put in the graft required of him.

I think Beckford's movement and instincts are top, top class. He's got pace as well. Those are things that can't be taught really.

Oftentimes Beckford's lack of a proper footballing education is evident. I think that he has the footballing maturity of a 20-21 year old striker. I definitely think he has buckets of potential to improve.

Also, I was delighted with his attitude last season. We heard a lot about him being trouble or a moaner but he put his head down and was happy to put in the graft required of him.

I agree...not only are the stats in his favor, he's also exciting. In my opinion he's a pleasure to watch. Some frustrating moments, but as a whole he delivered. There were times in counter attacks last season that his ability to sustain momentum and pull defenders away from other attackers was invaluable.Tottenham (Home) comes to mind, as do his runs during the Blackpool (Home) match. If anything I'm excited to give him and whomever he's partnered with a chance.

Something of note, not sure if it was mentioned in another thread, but two players Saha and Neville have gone out of there way to mention Yak's fitness on twitter, they seem impressed and I like that. I'd love to see a Yak/Becks or Saha/Becks partnership flourish next season. On things for sure, Beckford will get himself chances, he works hard for them, let's just be positive and hope they get put away.

In keeping with this thread of getting the best out of what we got. I think moving arteta back to his previous right wing position to get in the crosses and take the pressure of him being the creative fulcrum may be the answer to getting hif form back. The other option this gives is moving coleman to RB and allowing him freedom to overlap arteta and also letting arteta provide cover when we defend.

I think I said something similar to this response last season, and probably every season. We should always be looking to strengthen and improve what we have or else we stagnate. This can be attributed to any business in any field and in essence that is what we have here. If we have no money, which looks clear at the present, that should mean we look to improve elsewhere or in otherways. We can pontificate all we want about lack of funds etc but if that is the reality then Moyes has to bring in frees, loans and look at the bargains even if it represents bodies for injuries etc. I am not stating that I am happy with this situation. I ,like us all, would love to be in the market for the £20-30 million players but at the moment that is not going to happen and funding for players is another issue. Sticking with what we have got will not improve us. Manchester United are classic examples of that, whether they can afford it or not, they don't rest on their laurels, they know they need to improve, Champions or not.

I think Becks will step it up this season. He had limited minutes last season, and that may be the case this season if the Yak and Saha are fully fit... but Becks was clutch, scoring some crucial goals. I believe he is responsible for the firing of Ancelloti last season after that great run from midfeild to score in the last game.

I think Becks will step it up this season. He had limited minutes last season, and that may be the case this season if the Yak and Saha are fully fit... but Becks was clutch, scoring some crucial goals. I believe he is responsible for the firing of Ancelloti last season after that great run from midfeild to score in the last game.

Beckford has no bloody option but to step it up loads tbh, the only other option will be Vic or Yak, unless Saha can somehow stay fit for the season which is very doubtful. Beckford looks as though he will be the main striker, which i find disturbing tbh

It's mighty humble of our Mikky to accept that we haven't got any money whilst he's on £70k a week. Not that I resent him for it, I just hope we see £70k a week performances from him this season. To even suggest that players are distracted by transfer rumours on who's leaving is poor, focus on your game and what you are paid to do...