IGNORED

The Knee jerk thread - get what ever it is off yer chest

Avinalaff

I thought it might be good to have one thread in which to have a good old knee jerk reaction, rather than spreading all the doom and gloom todays result, and the weeks goings on will bring, so here's mine .... biggrin.png

Arteta - comes on to the pitch, and dominates (takes over) our play - but the style of play for me gets worse. Why when we have such a great free kick taker in Baines, does Arteta take the next one, especially when Baines has just hit the bar from a similar position? Answer? Baines is a follower, not a leader. Moyes should ban Arteta from any dead ball situation. He's been absolute gash for 2 seasons. The guy is now surplus to our needs. Play Osman or Bily in the center instead.

£8m and wages off the books.

Louis Saha - Half arsed performance again today. Lazy attitude, so doesn't bother to get back onside. I don't think he moved into a sprint the whole time he came on, and always looked for a pass. Holds the ball up no better than Beckford. At least Beckford does a shift. Thanks for the goals, but time to get off our pay roll.

£1m and wages off the books.

Tim Cahill - Thanks for the memories, and for being a great servant to the club, but do us a favour and let us cash in while you still have some value. You need an extra second to think now, and that means you waste more than you reap. Sorry mate, but I don't feel it any more.

£6-8m and wages off the books

Phil Jagielka - human just like any other defender, and with that makes mistakes just like any other defender. If Arsenal offer the right amount, get shut and find another bargain. It has no bearing on our future what so ever whether Jags stays or not. We're skint, and we need the money.

£18m and wages off the books

Oh ...... and btw

Fellaini - get fit or get lost. When you are fit you are superb, but when you jog around the pitch like a school history teacher looking for his pencil I wonder why we all rate you. In fact I wonder why we rate you anyway. I think folk just see the big hair do and presume you are a Brazilian World Cup star.

There.

Knee jerk over. Feel much better now. Cheers beer.gif

Every time we have to defend a corner, free kick or throw in near our goal line we pull everyone back. This is SO negative, even QPR left TWO men up front when we had a corner in the second half and they where winning 1-0 away from home. Moyes has done this year in year out........BORING

Every time we have to defend a corner, free kick or throw in near our goal line we pull everyone back. This is SO negative, even QPR left TWO men up front when we had a corner in the second half and they where winning 1-0 away from home. Moyes has done this year in year out........BORING

To be fair most teams do it though.

My main gripe through watching football is why do goalies have walls? If i was,an international goalkeeper i would fancy my chances from 25yds out against anyone on a clear shot so why do they put an obstacle in their line of view? Never have got that logic

My main gripe through watching football is why do goalies have walls? If i was,an international goalkeeper i would fancy my chances from 25yds out against anyone on a clear shot so why do they put an obstacle in their line of view? Never have got that logic

A couple of years ago Tony Gale (now often seen on SKY sports) was managing a Southern based non league side and he came up with that idea and lined up for a free kick without a wall and guess what it back-fired on them. From one free kick the bloke scored direct ( movement of opposing players distracting the keeper) while for another a player raced into a closer position after others where used as decoys and ended up one on one with the keeper, can't remember if he said he scored though. Not as easy as it appears!

A couple of years ago Tony Gale (now often seen on SKY sports) was managing a Southern based non league side and he came up with that idea and lined up for a free kick without a wall and guess what it back-fired on them. From one free kick the bloke scored direct ( movement of opposing players distracting the keeper) while for another a player raced into a closer position after others where used as decoys and ended up one on one with the keeper, can't remember if he said he scored though. Not as easy as it appears!

Wouldnt that be offside now? ie the player running acros the line would be interfering with play. Surely if the defenders stand in line with the placement of the ball then no one can run beyond that, i may be getting confused but am pretty sure that would be the case

Wouldnt that be offside now? ie the player running acros the line would be interfering with play. Surely if the defenders stand in line with the placement of the ball then no one can run beyond that, i may be getting confused but am pretty sure that would be the case

They where obviously in front of the ball, just not making a wall. Similar to someone having a shot from open play just outside the box with movement in front of the keeper. The other sounds similar to what you can do from a penalty, as long as the player receiving the ball is initially behind the player passing, he is deemed onside. Arsenal missed one in mid 2000's at Highbury attempting this.

I've contemplated that, until I saw a few free kicks and saw how quickly the ball was in the net, despite having to bend it over a wall. How quick would it be if the dead ball expert were able to shoot at will? Look at Baines, and how hard he kicks a ball for example.

It is interesting though.

I've contemplated that, until I saw a few free kicks and saw how quickly the ball was in the net, despite having to bend it over a wall. How quick would it be if the dead ball expert were able to shoot at will? Look at Baines, and how hard he kicks a ball for example.

It is interesting though.

If you think about it, most fk's are scored as result of the wall causing an effect, ie deflection off it, the attacker bending it round thus causing the keeper a late view of the ball or just plain brilliance. You have seen how many pens can be saved with no obstruction so put the ball back another 10-15 yds and it makes it v difficult in my opinion

If you think about it, most fk's are scored as result of the wall causing an effect, ie deflection off it, the attacker bending it round thus causing the keeper a late view of the ball or just plain brilliance. You have seen how many pens can be saved with no obstruction so put the ball back another 10-15 yds and it makes it v difficult in my opinion

It is an interesting subject.

It probably would have made a good thread on it's own. I presume they played without a wall before they did with one, so some bright spark must have had a good reason. I can see how different situations may need different walls etc.

on the subject of all players back defending a corner - does my head in too!

for me, leave three up. one in the centre circle and one on the halfway line on either wing. if they a spread apart the defence will probably leave four players back defending the halfway line. add the kick taker, leaves only 5 players of theirs attacking the ball agianst 7 of ours and the keeper.

if we get the ball, break on!

attacking the corner too, id have all my attacking players at the far corner of the box, sprinting into the goal area when the ball has been hit. players with momentum attacking the ball have much more power in the header and the defence will be all over the place.

on the subject of all players back defending a corner - does my head in too!

for me, leave three up. one in the centre circle and one on the halfway line on either wing. if they a spread apart the defence will probably leave four players back defending the halfway line. add the kick taker, leaves only 5 players of theirs attacking the ball agianst 7 of ours and the keeper.

if we get the ball, break on!

attacking the corner too, id have all my attacking players at the far corner of the box, sprinting into the goal area when the ball has been hit. players with momentum attacking the ball have much more power in the header and the defence will be all over the place.

These are standard tactics taught to U12/U13/U14 teams everywhere, do coaches have to forget the simple,basic things in the game?