IGNORED

installing windows 7 help needed

StevO

my laptop hard drive died, i have fitted a new hard drive.

i have a "copy" of windows 7 ultimate to install.

when the disc is put in a computer with an OS it gives an auto run file.

when the disc is in the laptop it doesnt run.

the boot is set to disc drive not HDD.

any ideas?

im looking at you Louis, and you Ian.

Avinalaf - add any more info you may have if you think it will help. (hes been helping me with this)

Wouldn't there be software compatibility issues with many programmes?

Very rarely. But 99% of the time there is a open-source alternative to the proprietary software you often use on Windows. These have the obvious advantage of being free. In addition, they also usually have a range of plug-ins and add-ons available to expand their features as anyone can legally edit the software. Also, nearly every program is easily found, downloaded and installed in 2-3 clicks thanks to the Ubuntu Software Centre and the Update Manager makes sure these programs are up to date.

The software I currently use most often on Ubuntu are:

Internet: Firefox (Prefer Firefox to Opera on Linux as Firefox works extremely well on it)

Office: LibreOffice (As good or better than MS Office with none of the cost)

Music: Clementine (There's a range of media players available, and the native client, Banshee, is well integrated with the OS. For those wondering, iPhones/iPods do work with Ubuntu)

Email: Evolution (Thunderbird is also available, but I prefer this)

Twitter: TweetDeck (Bit controversial as Gwibber, the native program, is so well integrated with the OS but I just prefer TweetDeck's columns)

Chat: Empathy (The native chat client, works really well with MSN/AIM and is well integrated)

Photo editing: Shotwell photo editor/GIMP. (Shotwell is brilliant for really quick, basic edits to photos. For more advanced, Photoshop-level stuff, GIMP is perfect)

P2P: Deluge (The best torrent client, bar none)

The main advantages to Ubuntu:

1) It's free!

2) It's remarkably easy to use. In fact I'd go as far to say it's far more user-friendly than Windows. Once you discover the Software Centre you wonder how you ever lived without it.

3) It's ridiculously fast. I can go from cold to my desktop in 12 seconds! Also it's not burdened by all that excess shite you don't need on Windows, especially if you bought your PC from Acer or Dell..

4) No viruses. At all. No need for bloated and expensive security software that slows down your computer either.

5) It's customisable. The default interface is brilliant but if you want to you can make it look completely different.

6) Programs all update using the Update Manager with no set-up. No more logging on to your computer and being greeted by a dozen dialogue boxes from programs wanting to update.

7) It's very powerful. You have complete control over the OS and the computer. For many this is the main advantage, but if you're not a techy it won't be relevant to you. And if you are a techy then shame on you for needing me to explain how brilliant the Terminal is in Linux!

Disadvantages:

1) Gaming. That's the big one. Very few games are designed to run on Linux natively. Though, there are easy solutions to this. There's a program called Wine, which I'm sure our Mac users are familiar with, that allows Linux and Mac users to play PC games. An easier solution is simply to set-up a dual-boot when you are installing Ubuntu. This partitions your hard-drive into two sections, one running Ubuntu and the other running your Windows installation. I have it set up 80/20, with Windows getting 20% of my hard-drive space. I simply switch-over whenever I want to play FM or something like that.