IGNORED

Theoretical Attendance Figures...

In 2009/10 the gate receipts + programme sales + catering income / total home attendances was less than £23.

47k is 11k than the £36k figure, you've added another 47k to the 36k making the home attendance levels 83k

£23 * 11000 = 253000 per game * 20 = £5.06m more per year

In 2009/10 the gate receipts + programme sales + catering income / total home attendances was less than £23.

47k is 11k than the £36k figure, you've added another 47k to the 36k making the home attendance levels 83k

£23 * 11000 = 253000 per game * 20 = £5.06m more per year

You're quite right... daft bugger I am... apologies! Although I didn't add the 47 to 36.... just did the maths on the full 47, whereas you're already getting 36 of that.

Suppose we could have said "matchday revenue SHOULD go up by at least 30%" (then there's all 'opportunities' a stadium might afford)

6 million a year - that just seems a poor return... then again, maintenance costs should go down (whatever they currently are). But it's not a lot is it?

Edited by BlueSky

I suppose if we built a new stadium, does that theoretical mean we have been invested in and that we have more money for higher profile players? Thus would everton see an increase in it's fan base from people starting to support them because they would possibly become more successful! Has this happened at man city since they were taken over?

I suppose if we built a new stadium, does that theoretical mean we have been invested in and that we have more money for higher profile players? Thus would everton see an increase in it's fan base from people starting to support them because they would possibly become more successful! Has this happened at man city since they were taken over?

Ah well, some of my historical investigations have shown a very close correlation between Everton and City in the terms on fan numbers. In the entire history of both clubs, the total number of fans that attended all games is incredibly close - nigh on the same.

And, in general, the attendances 'averages' per season have been close too - obviously a few years when Everton weren't doing well, and a few when City werent etc... but in general (not wishing to upset anyone) ... you could call them 'about even'.

In the last 8 years, City have gone up quite a bit, to more or less 95% capacity in league games (making us 3rd most attended behind United and Arsenal).

Now, I didn't start the thread to get into 'City v Everton' or anything like that - but I think it more than reasonable to imagine if you had the same size ground, and same success (currently) your attendances would follow the same pattern. i.e. every reason to think you'd get 48K too. Quite possibly more - hard to tell.

The attendances have risen since the move to the stadium... BUT the first couple of years, they actually dipped a bit (from memory), but then progressively improved. I suspect eventually fans 'got over' it and started coming back - plus, we started playing a bit better - with Sven coming along, then Hughsey, Then Mancini blah blah blah.

Anyway, it certainly wasn't down to us getting into Europe, because we weren't in Europe (barring one lucky season via 'fair play'). So it MUST have been a combination of new stadium and better performances.

It's only on the last 3 years we've had all this money to burn, so it's not that. (Although many years ago, in the early 80s, we got a bit mad with money, and got into a LOT of debt and it hurt us big time).

The only worry (with all clubs) is the current economic climate is causing a lot of fans trouble, and the Premier League bubble COULD burst. So it might seem like a great idea to be dreaming of 50-60K etc, but most clubs might actually see their numbers fall, and nobody wants to be rattling around a mega stadium half full.

United are a bit of an exception (in my eyes), but even they are having to really fight for customers (don't believe all that crap about every game sold out for months), it's bull.

My son works at United! (with quite a few Scousers as it happens)

i would have thought with a decent stadium selling out 50k would be easily possible.

im not local, and the 7 hr round trip puts me off visiting all but 2 or 3 matches a season (as i spend 15hrs a week commuting already i cant face a regular extra 7hrs driving on my day off)..

However, given this day of watching football in super vision (ie Sky HD/3D) it kinda feels a bit of a let down to get to goodison, pay my £40 and have a degraded view of the game..(plus that agin in fuel/parking costs) i've never been to goodison and not had a restricted view (i like to sit along the sidelines so the Park End is not an option), the worst was Man U last season, where i couldnt see 90% of the penalty area and felt awkward (and a nuisance) to be bobbing my head around in other peoples view point to see wtf was going on.

Not being funny but 40quid to NOT really see the game when i can sit at home infront of a massive tv screen and watch in HD?.. (and still know im contributing to the club via sky money)

In the current financial climate if you have to pay the fee you want to get your moneys worth.. and paying 40quid to then have to go home to watch a replay to see what youve missed isnt ideal!.. and yet we still average 37000 ticket sales(ish?) .. bl**dy brill.

Althoguh isnt it something like 37000 seats are only "mildy" obstructed or something?! .. seems a co-incidence that our av attendance is in line with our capacity for a semi-decent view.

Surely with a decent stadium, non obstructed views and slightly cheaper tickets (as per some of the above models!) would see us sell out a 50k stadium for the big matches at least.

I know i'd visit more often (despite the drive) if i didnt feel slightly (or greatly) let down by my vantage point every time.

Faced with an even longer round trip than the poster above, and only making at present a couple of games a season (have only ever been to six games in any season) I have to admit that it probably wouldn't matter how good the views were, it just wouldn't make much difference to how many times I attended a game.

I like Goodison Park and I'll come when I can, but you have to presume the bulk of any crowd has to be local support.surely a stadium built to seat over 50,000 is asking for trouble if the team has a bad season or two.

Times are hard for some people and could get tougher, if we are only getting high 30,000's at present where are the extra 10,000 + people coming from?

Redevelop Goodison to get an extra 5,000 seats in, get a decent team on the park, pack the grand old lady with Evertonians and frighten the fuc% out of the opponents.I'll take a restricted view seat at Goodison and make an 8/9 hour round trip if it's to sit in a packed iconic stadium watching an Everton team playing good football.

A 3/4 full concrete circle with no atmosphere might make the journey seem a bit too farsad.png .

There's two sides of every coin - Everton are getting 36K (thereabouts), but aren't setting the world on fire with performances of late AND times are hard. So that's quite impressive in a sense.

On a big matchday - derby, CL, cup semi's etc... 55K would be possible I would imagine, but week in, week out it's hard to get that. Wigan on a wet Monday night is unlikely to appeal to many!

So, a 50K stadium seems appropriate if you're reasonably optimistic, but not overly so (talk of 60 and 70K is pushing the realms of fantasy!)

But, as you allude to... there's only a so many fans you can attract, and there are 4 big clubs in the North West (2 Liverpool, 2 Manc) plus a number of decent ones too (Bolton, Blackburn et al), all fighting for the same kids (because effectively that's where the future lies).

When you have a nice stadium though, you get old timers coming back!... as surprising at it sounds, bringing their kids etc. I know a lot of folks don't like it, but the truth is, a lot of the punters with the money to spend are expecting cleaner stadiums, better food, better car parks, and a much more 'event' type feel than a hard core gritty environment. Whether Everton want to go down that path is another matter, but so far, the teams making the money have done so.

I can't see it happening for Everton now, the window of opportunity has passed them by.

It wouldn't surprise me, in a few more years, Everton might be counting their blessings as other clubs who DID spend a fortune are still paying for their stadiums with dwindling attendances, or other financial difficulties far worse than those of Everton.

It's come to something when half the excitement of our beloved sport is on the stock market and not the pitch!