IGNORED

Goodison Park naming rights valued at £1.6m per annum

Louis

Just for comparison a new stadium for Chelsea at Battersea would be valued at £13.5m.

Liverpool's would be even higher at £18.5m.

Mike Weaver, the company's Managing Director has said that as a general rule clubs could earn twice as much for a new stadium as they could for an existing one. i.e. a new Everton stadium is estimated to bring in £3.2m.

I thought that, I imagine it takes into account other factors i.e. potential Indian fan base for Blackburn.

Apparently the research takes into account fans' spiritual attachment to the ground and (seemingly most important), the club income from tv rights.

Therefore I presume that Sunderland's is low partially because the existing name is a homage to the mining community. There's even a Davy Lamp outside the ground.

It was Stoke that surprised me to be honest.

When a multinational sponsors a premier league club they are asking these things:

- How often will they be on TV?

- How often will they be in the news? (hopefully for good, but depending on the brand, even bad can work)

- What is their likely appeal to other nations?

- Are they likely to be associated with other top brands (in which we would like to mix) ?

- Are the players and management likely to be iconic?

- Is the stadium portraying the right image?

- What's the potential for growth? (I could pay 10 million for Liverpool, or 5 million for Spurs, but Spurs COULD rocket)

- How likely is a downturn? (could be mitigated in the contract with termination clauses for relegation etc)

- Is the cost front loaded, or spread? (do I pay 10 million upfront, or 1 million a year for 10 years?)

I can't see the fans spiritual attachment being a factor of any significance really. Certainly not with the big sponsors. The club and stadium are simply 'billboards' - the better positioned the billboard, and the more exposure, the better, and of course.

Arsenal has a very strong brand image as 'classy and traditional' - more so than Man United or Liverpool. That's not to say those clubs don't have great brands (with even wider appeal), but Arsenal's brand is upmarket.

Imagine it like this:

Tesco - a monster of a company in recent years. To buy the business would cost billions. The brand? not so great.

Chanel - not a large company. The buy the business wouldn't cost that much. The brand? it would cost the earth.

When you sponsor Man United, you have to consider how diluted your brand will be - you'll be competing with 100 other companies.

When you sponsor Blackburn, you'll be the main player!

So it's about 'bang for your buck'. Spend 10 million on United and compete with 100 others, or 3 million on Blackburn and you're IT.

It's a fair bit more complicated than who is the biggest club etc.

But - the what the hell do Americans know? they've hardly make exemplary investments in the PL so far ;-)

Edited by BlueSky

When a multinational sponsors a premier league club they are asking these things:

- How often will they be on TV?

- How often will they be in the news? (hopefully for good, but depending on the brand, even bad can work)

- What is their likely appeal to other nations?

- Are they likely to be associated with other top brands (in which we would like to mix) ?

- Are the players and management likely to be iconic?

- Is the stadium portraying the right image?

- What's the potential for growth? (I could pay 10 million for Liverpool, or 5 million for Spurs, but Spurs COULD rocket)

- How likely is a downturn? (could be mitigated in the contract with termination clauses for relegation etc)

- Is the cost front loaded, or spread? (do I pay 10 million upfront, or 1 million a year for 10 years?)

I can't see the fans spiritual attachment being a factor of any significance really. Certainly not with the big sponsors. The club and stadium are simply 'billboards' - the better positioned the billboard, and the more exposure, the better, and of course.

reading that is maybe why we do need an injection of Man City size proportions, otherwise i think no matter what we will always be in the shadow of LFC, unless we can really make some kind of massive statement somehow, i know many dont like that idea, but i really dont see any other option, we will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride

If the report above is accurate then it shows how optimistic the naming rights for Kirkby were:

7 May 2008 - In excess of £4m per year - http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2008/05/07/everton-hunt-60million-new-ground-sponsor-64375-20871677/

22 May 2008 - Up to £6m a year - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2008/04/22/new-everton-fc-stadium-the-true-cost-100252-20800908/

reading that is maybe why we do need an injection of Man City size proportions, otherwise i think no matter what we will always be in the shadow of LFC, unless we can really make some kind of massive statement somehow, i know many dont like that idea, but i really dont see any other option, we will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride

It's worse than that...

Here's a (popular) theory:

- When radio, and more importantly television reached most households and often foreign households too, THAT was the time when some clubs 'grabbed' a large share of the market.

- One club, Man United suffered a tragedy that grabbed a huge amount of world wide sympathy, and that helped them to grab a big share of market

- Liverpool did much the same in the 70s, but to a far lesser extent than Man United.

- By the 90's there was not much left to 'grab'. The big clubs had become so by grasping an early share across Europe.

- The second wave of 'share grab' is now happening as we promote football in Asia and the Middle East.

- The big(famous) clubs are already at an advantage BUT there's a chance for other clubs to grab fans (City, Blackburn, Chelsea etc)

- Once these markets have been grabbed, there's even less for any other clubs who didn't grab their share.

- IF by some miracle, everybody in say China latched on to Everton - Everton's revenues would sky rocket. Sadly, Everton don't have the money to try (nor do most clubs), so the elite clubs will grab this share too and get even richer and more dominant.

- Teams like City and Chelsea and even Arsenal to an extent are the ones actively trying to have a crack and grabbing some of that share (but at some cost!) and it's still hard work to grab any when there's lots oh Chinese kids saying "David Beckham!, Messi!" etc.

This is partly why 'marquee' signings are important. I don't like it, I don't think it's right, but it's the way of the world.

Just a theory of course...

Everton and Man City have both tried the Chinese Market.. in Everton's case it just rose to a rise in the number of unofficial replica shirts.

We signed Li Tie and Li Weifeng, whilst Man City signed Sun Jihai. Apparently Everton v Man City was the most watched game in the Premier League of all time because of those players.

EDIT - Also, we had Kejian, a Chinese phone manufacturer who did not sell in the UK as a shirt sponsor.

Everton and Man City have both tried the Chinese Market.. in Everton's case it just rose to a rise in the number of unofficial replica shirts.

We signed Li Tie and Li Weifeng, whilst Man City signed Sun Jihai. Apparently Everton v Man City was the most watched game in the Premier League of all time because of those players.

Yeah, we have Thailand now smile.png

EDIT - Also, we had Kejian, a Chinese phone manufacturer who did not sell in the UK as a shirt sponsor.

Bit more to it that just a couple of Chinese players though!

Mind you, I suspect some of them think Shin Pad is a midfielder