IGNORED

Stephen M. Ross Everton Takeover?

flaminfox

Made an interesting read Kevin. I have family in Jacksonville, used to be in Key West, so have great memories of Florida, and had a Dolphins jersey when I was about 9.

Ok lads, we need to get some money together. This is the plan!

We buy an NFL team between us, take the profits then buy Everton. Use the $30m minimum profit from the NFL team and buy a lot of great players for Everton.

Who's in?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Football is more financially balanced than the football leagues of the world. Each team has a salary cap and can therefore only spend so much. If you look at the Miami Dolphins, they are poor this season...but that doesn't necessarily mean bad ownership. The Colts were 11-5(I think) last season and now they are 1-13(first season with less than 10 losses in about 9-10 years). There is a lot more parity in the NFL then there is in the EPL. In a few years, Miami will probably win their division and make it far in the play-offs... very cyclical.

Admittedly, I don't really know much about the owner though. There are bad ones -- Just saying that recent performances aren't necessarily correlated with poor ownership.

The Colts problems show just how important the play of the quarterback is. Its a league predicated on good to great QB play. With that comes wins. Its a passing league now and not a running attack league. Its changed over the last 20 years significantly. Peyton Manning is out for this season, and the Colts have become a joke known by a lot of fans as the Dolts.

However under Ross' mismanagement, the Dolphins season ticket holders have dropped from 61,000 in 2009 to about 45,000 this year, and if he doesn't get the fan base excited with a big name coach and drafting a young franchise QB he can expect more season ticket holders to drop their tickets. Its a tough economy, and people will just find other ways to spend their money. In many NFL cities by this time of the year there is not much else to do because of the cold weather. In Miami that is not a problem and people do have other options, including buying tickets for the Miami Heat (pro basketball) and with the Miami Marlins opening their new baseball ballpark in April, fans money is being fought over.

Made an interesting read Kevin. I have family in Jacksonville, used to be in Key West, so have great memories of Florida, and had a Dolphins jersey when I was about 9.

Ok lads, we need to get some money together. This is the plan!

We buy an NFL team between us, take the profits then buy Everton. Use the $30m minimum profit from the NFL team and buy a lot of great players for Everton.

Who's in?

You're welcome my brother ! cool.png

Pleased to meet you Kevin and thank you for the informative and very interesting read. Welcome to the forum and I hope that whatever the outcome we will see more of you, and educate you into the mysteries of being an Everton supporter.

(Sometimes it is a mystery why we can still be supporters, but one you are one you can never let go. As the quote goes "Everton supporters are born not made. Those who understand need no explanation. Those who don't don't matter)wink.png

Thanks Rubecula. I shall try to understand soccer, but I really am more of a rugby fan. We get to see selected matches every week on Fox Soccer Plus, in the Premiership, Pro-12 (used to be Magners) and the Super 15, as well as on BBC America they show us Six nations, usually with England or Scotland playing. We also did get to see selected matches (all of the USA matches) at the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand on Universal Sports.

I sometimes see some of the UEFA matches on ESPN 2 or Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus or Fox Sports Florida. I used to like Wayne Rooney and don't really know too many soccer players. I do know of Landon Donovan, does he play for Everton ?

As it happens, Wayne rooney, once played for us, and was a local lad who made good. He was a hero but left for the big money offered by Manchester United which we could not match. He is a good player, but many of our fans call him a Judas for leaving after showing off his shirt which read "Once a Blue Always a Blue" He also criticised Francis Jeffers for leaving us for the bright lights and money. Then he did the same thing himself, although he was a young lad at the time.

Landon Donovan plays for LA Galaxy and is contracted to MLS, but we did have a loan of his services a few years back, and he is said to be returning to play for us for a few games in January.

I like rugby too. Both types. For me I support Ireland (And Leinster) in Rugby Union, and St Helens in Rugby League. (Two different games with somewhat different rules.)

Edited by Rubecula