IGNORED

Stephen M. Ross Everton Takeover?

flaminfox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Brit and a Dolphins fan, I know a little about Steven Ross and his leadership of that team.

Firstly I'd just say he hasn't actually owned the team for very long (Jan 2009), which in American football terms means the end of the 2009 season, so it's a bit difficult to judge him yet. The team coach (who has just been fired) was not hired by Ross, but he gave him time all the same.

In the 2 (nearly 3) seasons of his ownership the team has been very mediocre, but this hasn't really been down to lack of spending, more so down to bad coaching - they lost their first 7 games this season and you only play 16! The NFL is a far more balanced competition where any team could genuinely win the Superbowl, so a good coach who brings in the right players makes a bigger difference.

The only bad thing I have to say against him is that at the end of last season he didn't fire his current coach, but went actively & publicly looking for a replacement. It went down very badly. He admitted his mistakes though and has appeared to go about things in a far more professional manner this year.

I don't think he's another Gillette & Hicks.

If anyone wants to know any more I'll try to give my view.

Being a Brit and a Dolphins fan, I know a little about Steven Ross and his leadership of that team.

Firstly I'd just say he hasn't actually owned the team for very long (Jan 2009), which in American football terms means the end of the 2009 season, so it's a bit difficult to judge him yet. The team coach (who has just been fired) was not hired by Ross, but he gave him time all the same.

In the 2 (nearly 3) seasons of his ownership the team has been very mediocre, but this hasn't really been down to lack of spending, more so down to bad coaching - they lost their first 7 games this season and you only play 16! The NFL is a far more balanced competition where any team could genuinely win the Superbowl, so a good coach who brings in the right players makes a bigger difference.

The only bad thing I have to say against him is that at the end of last season he didn't fire his current coach, but went actively & publicly looking for a replacement. It went down very badly. He admitted his mistakes though and has appeared to go about things in a far more professional manner this year.

I don't think he's another Gillette & Hicks.

If anyone wants to know any more I'll try to give my view.

Cheers man, and welcome.

In American Football, the teams are limited to how much they can spend (salary cap), so its not like English football where an owner can bankroll a team and spend hundreds of millions of pounds to sign the best players. Most teams will spend nearly the cap amount, so you can't really compare his NFL spending habits to what his EPL spending habits would be.

Who knows? It is all still speculation.

On the positive side I can say that he does have the reputation of being a big sports fan. He does seem to have the right intentions with the Dolphins nobody is questioning his motives there.

Much like the Dolphins, Everton have great history and tradition, but are a team that haven't won trophies in recent times, as a club they have great potential. Perhaps that kind of thing appeals to him?

He is spending money on their stadium too.

Anyone who has that kind of money is probably going to have some kind of motivation behind any purchase.

Man City for example were bought out to heighten the profile of Abu Dhabi and the brands associated. If a world leading sports team is associated with your organisation then, if marketed well, the associated brands are boosted. It opens further avenues of revenue stream as well as boosting brand awareness in countries that are difficult for your businesses to break into because of the existing dominance of other companies.

Other owners are difficult to guage, the Glazers could afford to leverage United against the value of the club because it was already a money making market leading brand. United will eventually pay off enough of their debts simply through the profitability of the club, the fans might not like it but it will work for them.

Venkys who knows? Probably wanted to tap football in the Indian market but their leadership seems to have been attrocious.

FSG and Kroenke are different again, they're sports moguls who want to own multiple, successful sports brands, the financial motivation of it is less clear to me. Perhaps you buy a team, grow the brand, increase the revenue, make more money.

At a guess I'd probably put Ross in the same category as FSG and Kroenke.

For me he doesnt have to put in alot, just enough to steady the ship.

This. And come the summer, if im buying realistic, a treasure chest of £15m would be much better received that thinking we had to sell to buy. £15m could get you a £10m player and a couple of youngsters, or two decent £7m players? Or one quality player :)

He wouldn't have to spend Man CIty riches, or even Sunderland stylee (£60m? a season)

If Ross or any billionaire buying the club was willing to invest ANYTHING in the club, squad, stadium etc..., it would be better than Kenwright, who is totally unable to do so. Anyone willing to invest in the club and be financially responsible with us (unlike Leeds or Pompey), and isn't a total mad man like MIke Ashley would be better than Kenwright.

Okay, I am going to bite. Do we have to post the same dribble on every single thread? This topic started out as a discussion about a potential takeover and soon spiralled down to the usual "Bill failed because...".

Not been back long but already fed up with reading the same thing in every thread I read.

(Rant Over)

This

What if....

What if any new owner didn't invest a great deal of money, but DID kick the club into shape behind the scenes?

Of course, I'm making the assumption that Everton's not in the best of shape behind the scenes (there's no absolute proof of that, but the books are hardly indicative of it being top notch either).

That alone could lift the fortunes of the club - maybe not to the extremes of the high spenders, but enough to get Everton in a position that better reflects the size of the club!

I think that alone would be a step in the right direction for the club, and there's no overwhelming need for a sugar daddy type figure.

What if....

What if any new owner didn't invest a great deal of money, but DID kick the club into shape behind the scenes?

Of course, I'm making the assumption that Everton's not in the best of shape behind the scenes (there's no absolute proof of that, but the books are hardly indicative of it being top notch either).

That alone could lift the fortunes of the club - maybe not to the extremes of the high spenders, but enough to get Everton in a position that better reflects the size of the club!

I think that alone would be a step in the right direction for the club, and there's no overwhelming need for a sugar daddy type figure.

Agree with this. While I would like the manager to be able to go out and spend millions straight away, I would be more than happy to know that the future of the club is secure and that any money that comes from players sales will be re-invested plus potentially a couple of million here or there when necessary. As much as I would love to see Everton winning league titles and in Europe, I wouldnt want it to be because some yank decide to throw money at already overpaid players. That isnt meant as a dig btw.

American Football is more financially balanced than the football leagues of the world. Each team has a salary cap and can therefore only spend so much. If you look at the Miami Dolphins, they are poor this season...but that doesn't necessarily mean bad ownership. The Colts were 11-5(I think) last season and now they are 1-13(first season with less than 10 losses in about 9-10 years). There is a lot more parity in the NFL then there is in the EPL. In a few years, Miami will probably win their division and make it far in the play-offs... very cyclical.

Admittedly, I don't really know much about the owner though. There are bad ones -- Just saying that recent performances aren't necessarily correlated with poor ownership.

Agree with this. While I would like the manager to be able to go out and spend millions straight away, I would be more than happy to know that the future of the club is secure and that any money that comes from players sales will be re-invested plus potentially a couple of million here or there when necessary. As much as I would love to see Everton winning league titles and in Europe, I wouldnt want it to be because some yank decide to throw money at already overpaid players. That isnt meant as a dig btw.

No offence taken, I find it simply sad that clubs feel (and with some justification) that it's necessary to do in order to compete. It's not right. Sadly nobody seems to be saying "how come since the PL started we've only had a handful of teams win it, and even less in recent years?" Ends up like Spain and the SPL, naff!

The only potential issue with a 'sensible pragmatic owner' is this - Can the fans really accept them?. I say this looking at Aston Villa as an example. The guy came in, spent a fair amount, and it got them fighting in the top 6 for a couple of years, then inevitably, the form dropped off, manager fell out, and now they're mid table... the fans are feeling naffed off, and want a new manager, more money and better results.

Not a dig at Everton fans now... but a sensible new owner would be welcomed, I'm sure.... but how long before the criticism started about 'putting his hand in his pocket' etc?

Everton fans deep down - and correct me if I'm wrong - will always really believe they should be in the top 6, and anything less is below par. They can take it for a while, but not for too long.

No club has any divine right to win anything

It's only been 24 years since the last title success, the club was part of the big five at the time and right up to the advent of the premier league in 1992, times change as do I look upon it now as the club should really be finishing top six every season?, that's down to the players and manager, I just don't expect it, Moyes has done well after what came before him with limited resources and has had some commendable league finishes, but it hasn't been all rosy since he arrived, Yes, it's frustrating to an extent to see the club hasn't regained it's stature from past years, but you feel now there's no automatic right to have a top six place anymore, there's 19 other teams out there fighting for honors in this league and at the end of the season the league placings don't lie, I don't really mind much for a bit of rambling but I think that's a fair summary

Off twitter...

Everton fans: Steve Ross is not buying Everton. "The reports are false," Miami Dophins sr v.p. of media relations Harvey Greene said. cont'd

"Steve is not pursuing the acquistion and has never even had a single conversation with the club," Greene said

Reports are false, Harvey Greene, Miami Dolphins p.r. man said RT @BlueBoysRule @GregOK how true is this? Or is it another load of poo.

Good thread.

Ross' ability as the Dolphins owner is still to be determined. You can't really compare the NFL to any other league in any sport.

What he has is a shitpot full of cash. We've suffered a shitpot full of shit with current EFC ownership. Let's try the cash.

Whatever the argument about Moyes as tactician (and I'm one who rates Moyes), he has consistently brought-in and/or developed young talent. Let's give him a go with something more than the budget he's had to work with.

Off twitter...

Everton fans: Steve Ross is not buying Everton. "The reports are false," Miami Dophins sr v.p. of media relations Harvey Greene said. cont'd

"Steve is not pursuing the acquistion and has never even had a single conversation with the club," Greene said

Reports are false, Harvey Greene, Miami Dolphins p.r. man said RT @BlueBoysRule @GregOK how true is this? Or is it another load of poo.

That's the end of that then....back to realitysad.png .

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/21/2555013/miami-dolphins-linebacker-koa.html

Back to normal, throw hope in dustbin, start cutting yourselfs again, go on a drinking binge, eat a load of cakes and then stick 2 fingers down your throat.

Could also be a smoke screen. Dont want a bidding war (making myself laugh)

Im sure Everton will be sold eventually, its just not going to be Stephen M Ross that signs the check. Im still positive tho. We are due some good news.

The depression I can take....it's the hope that kills.

Hahaha never thought of putting it that way before!!

Seriously tho one day one of these little bits of hope we see may actually come true, im just begining to worry that i may not be around to see it, i mean ive only really got another 40 years left in me if ypu go off the average age you die!!!

Who knows? It is all still speculation.

On the positive side I can say that he does have the reputation of being a big sports fan. He does seem to have the right intentions with the Dolphins nobody is questioning his motives there.

Much like the Dolphins, Everton have great history and tradition, but are a team that haven't won trophies in recent times, as a club they have great potential. Perhaps that kind of thing appeals to him?

He is spending money on their stadium too.

Anyone who has that kind of money is probably going to have some kind of motivation behind any purchase.

Man City for example were bought out to heighten the profile of Abu Dhabi and the brands associated. If a world leading sports team is associated with your organisation then, if marketed well, the associated brands are boosted. It opens further avenues of revenue stream as well as boosting brand awareness in countries that are difficult for your businesses to break into because of the existing dominance of other companies.

Other owners are difficult to guage, the Glazers could afford to leverage United against the value of the club because it was already a money making market leading brand. United will eventually pay off enough of their debts simply through the profitability of the club, the fans might not like it but it will work for them.

Venkys who knows? Probably wanted to tap football in the Indian market but their leadership seems to have been attrocious.

FSG and Kroenke are different again, they're sports moguls who want to own multiple, successful sports brands, the financial motivation of it is less clear to me. Perhaps you buy a team, grow the brand, increase the revenue, make more money.

At a guess I'd probably put Ross in the same category as FSG and Kroenke.

Hello to you Everton fans.

This is being talked about on our message board (http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?310851-Interesting-Rumor-Ross-Looking-to-buy-Everton) and I thought I would do a google search for a Everton board and it brought me here wink.png .

As for Stephen Ross, I would be wary if I were you guys. His ownership in Miami has been mediocre so far at best, and he has shown either stupidity or just plain naïvity.

As for the time line discussed earlier in this thread. Yes Ross bought 100 % of the team & stadium in January of 2009, but he had bought 50% of the team in Jan 2008 I believe. His final purchase price for the team & stadium was $ 1.1 billion. The stadium is one of the oldest now in the NFL and was originally built by the late (1st) owner of the Dolphins, Joe Robbie in 1987. He couldn't get the locals to pay for it (Miami-Dade County, City of Miami or Broward County or City of Ft. Lauderdale) and us taxpayers to pay for it, so he built it on his own for $ 100 million. The team was sold to pay death taxes in 1990 to H. Wayne Huizenga (former Blockbuster Video Chairman and present Waste Management chair). Wayne put in about $ 250 million in improvements in 2005 but the stadium needs BIG improvements if we want to host the Super Bowl again (the NFL didn't like that it rained on the patrons in Super Bowl 41 in Jan 2008). They have told us we need to cover the patrons and fix up the stadium to get another one. That will cost about $ 300 million. Stephen Ross didn't want to open his wallet again, and had his CEO Mike Dees put out there that we won't get another SB unless we (the taxpayers) pay for it.

F*ck that sh*t is what most of us taxpayers have said. That is a privately owned stadium, that the owner gets to keep all of his concessions earnings (beer money, sodas, hot dogs, etc.) and parking fees (it costs about $ 90 for a ticket, $ 7 for a beer and $ 4 for a hot dog - so a family of four it costs over $ 500 a game to go to). They have gotten a property tax break worth hundreds of millions over the years (Ross and previous owners only pay $ 1 a year on 160 acres of the Lake Lucerne property at the Miami Gardens stadium - it was a concession to get the stadium built and keep the team in South Fla). So Ross wants us to pay for that, instead of putting his money into it.

Now as for his motives, yes he does want to win. But he has hurt himself and his team more than anyone could have suspected. It was just downright dumb what he did last year. Going off to court Jim Harbaugh (who took the 49er's job instead of our team) while he still had Tony Sparano as his head coach is a no-no in the world of NFL coaching. It made him look bad to others and many have said they would never work for him. He was forced to come back to Miami with out a new head coach and then he gave Sparano a 2 year extention. Then he fired him not after a 0-7 start to the season, but a few hours after Kansas City had fired their coach. It looked awful and just reactionary - very arbitrary. He had allowed Sparano to give his 11am Monday morning press conference and then fired him 2 hours later. Just very bad form and a lot of coaches will look at that and shake their heads. Then you have our General Manager Jeff Ireland.

He's another story altogether, he once asked a prospective draft pick if his mother was a prostitute. I kid you not.....he did. He also used to be best friends with Sparano, but he didn't hesitate to get on that plane with Ross and go out to San Francisco to recruit Harbaugh for the job here in Miami (Harbaugh was a college coach with Stanford University at the time). That was back stabbing at its worse, and Sparano and Ireland's relationship has been strained since then, and it showed on the team, as Ireland and Sparano are supposed to work together, but that was nearly impossible this year and it resulted with a 0-7 start for the team.

I know this has been long and I thank you if you have read it all.

Bottom line, I would be wary if I were a fan of Everton. Ross could be good, but his history with owning our Dolphins has been shaky at best so far.

P.S. - Owning an NFL team by the way is a guaranteed money maker - you have a salary cap of $ 120 million and the TV contracts alone give each team $ 150 million a year. So with TV and radio rights fees, sales of jerseys, and other paraphinalia you are making money hand over fist every year. Not sure how it goes in your sport of soccer.

Off twitter...

Ross denied he was pursuing Jim Harbaugh last year until it was proven he was in northern California and he was forced to concede he was indeed talking to Harbaugh.......masters of misinformation.