IGNORED

The One That Got Away!

c1982

So it seems we've missed out on Vadis due to an admin error/ running out of time! Although I still think he'll end up with us on appeal, could this be one to rue if he goes on to greater things?

Who do people rue missing out on, who you genuinely thought we had a chance of getting or players we were linked to?

I'll kick this off with Dion Dublin or Torre Andre Flo - both were targets (Dublin was actually a Kendall target oooppps!) of Joe Royle to play alongside big Dunc, both moves blocked supposidely by Johnson, the latter resulting in Royle leaving. Both players proved quality Premiership strikers and would have fitted into Joe's 'Dogs of War' style (with a bit of Limpar/Kanchelskis flair!!!)

There are more obvious ones, with the M word a certainty but I always thought we could have pushed on with Royle especially after the performance in the 95-96 season - probably still my favourite season of watching EFC.

Edited by c1982

I don't think he'll end up with EFC after appeal. You might want to check with the Marvin Ogunjimi case. Mallorca couldn't let the deal go through with any means. He stayed at Genk being worthless and when he came to Mallorca in Januari, he was half the player he used to be.

In other words; Fifa sucks.

Steve McManaman - Kopites paying his dad to choose them the dirt bags.

Nigel Martyn could have gave us the stability we craved in goal a lot earlier.

Dean Ashton £3 million, gave a perfect 'trial' playing for Crewe against us. Feck knows why we didn't snap him up straight away.

Bellamy almost signing is a stinker. Think we would have been in the top 4 with him.

Banega, wasnt he close to signing at one point?

Yes, but he didn't know it.

Riquelme has just been made a free agent. Not much left in him fitness wise but has great positioning and can pick a pass, could fill in the Gibson role for a year. Although we would need Fellaini next to him to do the leg work/tackling.

Edited by pete0

'Missed out on things due to running out of time' - sounds familiar.

I remember years ago, we were interested in taking McCoist from Rangers, we tried an approach, Smith would have been Ibrox manager at the time, but they didn't want to know, he was probably at the peak of his abilities then and was actually a good player and dangerous forward, would have done well at Goodison I think, this was around about 1992/93.

Ravanelli was another, said it before, during the summer of 1997 we tried to bring him in, while looking for a new manager, it went on for months, at one point it looked like we were on the verge of making a signing, but it never happened and the interest died down. Can't quite remember where he went after that from Middlesbrough.

Also at the same time, or even a few months before, when Royle was still manager, we tried to bring in Trevor Sinclair, Kilnsmann, Dean Holdsworth and Andrew Cole, but needless to say, no such names never arrived.