IGNORED

Reading v Everton – Reading fan Chat

daib0

A warm hello to all Toffees fans from Reading's Royals Rendezvous … look, just to let you know we’ve prepared a very detailed match presentation on the Reading v Everton game from our Reading forum, and the fullest respect shown to Everton from our friendly site with full information produced equally for both sets of fans – but in all honesty far, FAR more on your team.

It's here: http://royalsrendezv...topic/9760599/1

And a fine mention is given of your forum as the unofficial site suggestion … trust me, our members love to hear what other fans have to say, there are no ‘Wums’ on RR. We even have a separate thread dedicated to your views.

I know some people don’t particularly like other fans producing a shopping list of questions to answer, and I perfectly understand that, so I leave any comments freely and totally with you. But if you like, these simple following points might be used as a very basic guide in case you’d like to write to something slightly longer, but don’t feel at all pushed to go along this road if it doesn’t suit you:

A] What are currently the strongest areas of YOUR squad, and who should Reading individually look out for / fear most?

B] Any young stars coming through the academy that we should keep an eye on, now or in the future?

C] Well, it’s a most impressive start to your season. Realistically, where do you hope Everton might finish if all goes more-or-less well?

D] How strong do you see the general level of the premier this season, and any general opinions of Reading FC and our current football - either for or against (you can be honest!). Any words of advice for the ‘newbies’ in the premier scene?!

Here's to a good game, all comments welcome! Any snippet copied will be fully credited (and thanked) with your user name and your forum! ...

daib0 (David)

(moderators/admin – please don’t hesitate to move this topic if I have placed it in an incorrect section, in which case … sorry!)

Hi matey.

We'd be glad to answer questions.

A] What are currently the strongest areas of YOUR squad, and who should Reading individually look out for / fear most?

I think a lot depends on the fitness of one or two players, but we are pretty good all over the park this season, with our achilles heel being our midfield at the moment. If Gibson returns, we will be well balanced again, but at the moment, that role is causing us a headache.

Threat wise, I think the likes of Fellaini, Jelavic, Mirallas, Pienaar, and Baines are the players who you will need to worry about, though Coleman is quite a threat on his day on the right side too, as is Osman. The partnership with Baines and Pienaar is considered the best in the game by many, though it's been a little hit or miss recently as our formation has been experimented with.

B] Any young stars coming through the academy that we should keep an eye on, now or in the future?

I'm not well educated regarding our junior academy players, but guys who are now at the fringe would include Ross Barkley, Shane Duffy, Mathew Kennedy (recent signing from Kilmarnock) Fransisco Junior just to mention a few, with Barkley having enormous expectancy on his young shoulders.

C] Well, it’s a most impressive start to your season. Realistically, where do you hope Everton might finish if all goes more-or-less well?

Having looked at the other teams, I really think we have a genuine chance of threatening the top 4 this year, with a top 6 place the least of my expectations. We have played some outstanding football already, though I feel we are not in top gear at the moment. If we can be at the top end come January with a fit squad, I'm confident this will be a good season. We've felt that before too unfortunately lol, so fingers crossed. We certainly don't fear any other team at the moment.

D] How strong do you see the general level of the premier this season, and any general opinions of Reading FC and our current football - either for or against (you can be honest!). Any words of advice for the ‘newbies’ in the premier scene?!

I think the general level of the Premiership this season is impressive, though more so from the teams I didn't expect it from, such as West Brom, West Ham, and even Wigan, regardless of their current position. Only Chelsea of the top sides have looked strong, though even they have hit poor form recently. United are a shadow of their great sides, and don't know how they still sit at the top, and City have been mediocre. It's a real chance for any team not afraid of reputations to get stuck in.

With respect, believe it or not, the only side I'm not too familiar with this season are Reading, so it will be interesting to see how we get on.

I'm hoping we can keep our positive start going though, so even a one goal win would be greatly received.

I just popped along, Tried to introduce myself and got knocked back LOL But I get that with women too. LOL

daib0, it seems a friendly and informal site, I like it.

Many thanks, much appreciated. I think with us it's fairly easy. No obvious bitter rivals, the traditional historical ones - Aldershot, Oxford & Swindon - we haven't seen for over a decade now, yet 'cos quite a few of us well remember the 3rd division, and even 4th division, days we're not an arrogant lot by nature. It's a privilege to be rubbing shoulders with teams like yours - we had two years under Coppell a few years back; let's hope this is not a one season wonder!

By the way, my grandad was born very close to your ground, so suppose I have a natural liking to (both!) Liverpool clubs smile.png

laugh.png I knew we had a professional musician member....sorry for my shoutbox contributionunsure.png .

ha-ha, no worries, and although I'm mostly in the classical scene (pays my wages) I like pretty much everything including rock 'n roll, celtic, techno and trance stuff too ... you name it!

Many thanks, much appreciated. I think with us it's fairly easy. No obvious bitter rivals, the traditional historical ones - Aldershot, Oxford & Swindon - we haven't seen for over a decade now, yet 'cos quite a few of us well remember the 3rd division, and even 4th division, days we're not an arrogant lot by nature. It's a privilege to be rubbing shoulders with teams like yours - we had two years under Coppell a few years back; let's hope this is not a one season wonder!

By the way, my grandad was born very close to your ground, so suppose I have a natural liking to (both!) Liverpool clubs smile.png

huh.png

Ban him immediately ! shaking fist.png

I'll answer a couple for you while I am knocking around :)

A - The main threat is Fellaini. I you let him dominate then he will run the game and the other players will feed off of him. If you stop him, then you will cause us problems. The Baines/Pienaar link has been a bit sloppy in the last couple of games but if they are up for it, they could rip any opposition right side to pieces. Mirallas was also looking very promising but sadly it looks like he will miss the game through injury.

B - Ross Barkley is the most talked about one who is currently on loan at Sheff Wed. He has bags of potential but sometimes lacks the application, but hopefully that will come as he matures. Conor McAlaney looks like a very sharp striker in the Michael Owen mould. Garbutt looks like he will be a solid left back in the future. Shane Duffy looks to be a commanding centre back who can actually play a bit as well and then there has been a lot of good reports for the likes of Hope & Lundstram but I havent seen much of either of them.

C - I dont think the league is that strong this year and if any team can show some consistency then they have a great chance of getting in the top 4. I have no doubt that we have the potential to do really well, but it remains to be seen whether the team believe it. At this stage I am still more hopeful than expectant.

D - I kind of covered this in the last question but I definitely think any team could very quickly put a small run together. I remember when we played you in one of the Cups where you absolutely bossed us from start to finish but I havent really seen that same discipline so far this year. I dont think you have a great squad but I predicted that you would stay up at the start of the season because of the effort the players put in. If the players can find that extra 10-15% and treat every match like that Cup game then Im certain you will stay up.

cheers Bailey, will relate this onto RR; we always credit your names and forum for any snippet ...

Why don't you be the author of our next match day thead ?

I'm sure no-one will mind too much, and it would be quite appropriate for our next fixture date.

Fair enough if it's Evertonians only for those kind of things, but it was merely an idea.

Haven't got round to any participation on RR as of yet, but not to say I won't get involved before time of game.

Why don't you be the author of our next match day thead ?

I'm sure no-one will mind too much, and it would be quite appropriate for our next fixture date.

Fair enough if it's Evertonians only for those kind of things, but it was merely an idea.

Haven't got round to any participation on RR as of yet, but not to say I won't get involved before time of game.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes. Most forum sites are pretty friendly to be honest, but occasionally one has to really watch what you write, two or three have got very tetchy!

But if anyone pops over to RR, not only is the match thread growing with posts now, but there's also a couple of Everton fan-based topics in the 'Rivals but Friends' section, and that's open to all to write (without even signing up I mean) ...

Thanks for the suggestion, but the last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes. Most forum sites are pretty friendly to be honest, but occasionally one has to really watch what you write, two or three have got very tetchy!

But if anyone pops over to RR, not only is the match thread growing with posts now, but there's also a couple of Everton fan-based topics in the 'Rivals but Friends' section, and that's open to all to write (without even signing up I mean) ...

We aren't really going to ban / suspend you for being a Liverpool fan Daibo. rofl.gif

Full respect from Reading's captain:

Sky Sports

Reading skipper remains upbeat

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11673/8247601

Reading skipper Jobi McAnuff believes confidence in the camp remains high despite their poor start to the season. Brian McDermott's side are 18th in the Premier League going into this weekend's game with Everton but McAnuff insists they are focused on climbing the table.

"We're here now and we can only affect what we can do. We can't be too worried about anything that's said in the press," he told the club's official website. "If you start to do that then you lose focus about what we're trying to do. I'm a big believer in focusing on what you've got to do today. It's a great club to be at - it's important not to lose sight of that. We've got a great set of lads and a great set of staff and we all enjoy coming into work every day."

McAnuff admits they have a tough task against Everton at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday and drew parallels between the two clubs.

"I guess that you can draw similarities from over the years. They've never been a club that's gone out and spent money on six or seven players. They bring value to the club and so do we," he added. "David Moyes has done a great job there and he keeps producing the good as they are still performing well. There's a great continuity to the club, and the few players that are added in the summer seem to integrate in well. They've had a fantastic start to this season and they're playing some great stuff. On their current form, they're a side challenging to break into the top four."

TICKETS - Reading

Reading FC Official Site

Reading vs Everton - Saturday 17th November 2012, 3pm

All tickets have now sold out for this fixture - but to be put on a waiting list, call 0118 968 1006.

TICKETS - Everton

Notice from Everton FC Official Site says: "This fixture is sold out"

On RR we try to open our arms out to fans of all clubs and one way we do this is that we have invitations called 'FFF' - Friendly Fan Features' and here are a couple this week that might well take your fancy ...

Wolfy's FFF - Previews, three matches including Reading v Everton - http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/9763413/1 He's actually a ** cough cough ** Liverpool supporter and forum mod but also contributes on RR, is known for being a fair man!

FFF - The Everton team by Not 606 Everton board mod Shogun - http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/9761650/1

(Guests can post on these threads ...)

Reading FC Official Site

Olympic Visitors

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/olympic-visitors-151112-487796.aspx

Royals to welcome members of Team GB. This weekend Reading Football Club will be hosting a special group of visitors, as a selection of Team GB Olympians head down to Madejski Stadium to watch the Barclays Premier League clash with Everton. They include members of our beloved rowing squad – including Alex Gregory, who stormed to a gold medal in the men’s four alongside Pete Reed, Tom James and Andew Triggs-Hodge. Joining Alex will be Charles Cousins, who finished fifth in the final of the Men’s Quadruple Scull at Eton Dorney – as well as Sam Townsend, who was a finalist in the Men’s Double Scull. Alongside Charles on the day will be his wife…who is also an Olympian! Natasha Page was a finalist in the Women’s Eight, also finishing fifth, and went on to marry Sam shortly afterwards – to make London 2012 all the more memorable!

We also have representatives from the Aquatics Centre. Katie Clarke and Katie Skelton from the GB Synchro Team will be watching the Royals in action, as will Anthony Stevens – a member of the Paralympics GB Swimming Team.

It’s a perfect chance for Reading fans to thank all of Team GB for their efforts – and hopefully they’ll all be cheering on Brian McDermott’s men to three points!

Did you go to that play off final in 1995 against Bolton Wanderers or know anyone who did ? I can't remember if it was before or after the FA Cup Final win over Manchester United but remember seeing bits of the game on television, it was an incredible game. Royals went 2-0 ahead and then missed a penalty strike of all things, Bolton came back and won 4-3 in extra time if I recall. It was one of the most amazing games ever seen at the national stadium at the time.

I still haven't posted on RR but will endeavor to do so before time of game or at least the weekend in question.

Did you go to that play off final in 1995 against Bolton Wanderers or know anyone who did ? I can't remember if it was before or after the FA Cup Final win over Manchester United but remember seeing bits of the game on television, it was an incredible game. Royals went 2-0 ahead and then missed a penalty strike of all things, Bolton came back and won 4-3 in extra time if I recall. It was one of the most amazing games ever seen at the national stadium at the time.

I still haven't posted on RR but will endeavor to do so before time of game or at least the weekend in question.

Check out these then!!

http://www.footballmemories.org.uk/memories/clubs/94-reading/164-steven-hill (written by RR member)

http://www.footballmemories.org.uk/memories/clubs/94-reading/175-daniel-doe

Yes I read it. It was probably a better final than the one in 1993 with Swindon and Leicester was it.

Having Reading in the EPL at the time, was with all due respect, a bit of a bizarre and unheard of thing, but everyone got a bit more used to it since then. I don't think some were quite prepared or didn't know what to expect or think. But they were some standout times back then with all kinds of emotions that we (sometimes) try to forget.