IGNORED

Marching on

Kev627

With all 4 of our league fixtures in March at home could this be the time to cement our claim for 4th place and Europe?

Three league fixtures plus the cup game.

And no....probably not. Fourth (barring a miraculous turn around of Lazarus proportions) is gone. Sixth is the best I'm hoping for at the mo....and that'll need a step up in form.

There's only three league fixtures in March, the other being the quarter final with Wigan Athletic in the FA cup ?

2nd March - Reading Home

9th March - Wigan Home (FA Cup)

16th March - Manchester City Home

30th March - Stoke City Home

and even then only one of those is an actual 3pm start.

Above all else, you have to accept our chances of champions league soccer have passed this year, and even a UEFA cup (Europa League) place seems uncertain, but there is opportunity there to get some much needed points in those (three) league games.

blush.png

OK, only three games in the league.

Sorry.....

That's only 9 points, we'd need Spurs to lose 4 games on the bounce to be level. With us taking maximum points in that period Spurs (Arse, Liverpool, Fulham, Swansea) would only need 1 point to stay a head.

Chelsea 3 points from WBA, Fulham, W/Ham, Soton.

Arse 5 points from Spurs, Swansea, Reading. Going to take some fortune for us to climb.

Realistically I think we can make the FA Cup Final again, and hang in for a UEFA cup (EL) place by end of season, and that at least is a magnificent achievement (or will be if we can do it) but 4th place does seem out of it now. Say what you like about Moyes, and maybe he's not for everyone, but look at the difference we have now from Walter Smith and the awful play in the late 1990s and early last decade. We're on to do well once again this year, and maybe we won't win anything, but it's been hitherto a successful campaign even if the champions league dream may have died in recent weeks.

With the boost from the Oldham game I think we can beat Reading, they are a side that are almost certainly going to be back where they came from and I think that we should be beating teams of their calibre no matter how good or bad our form is.

If we beat Wigan Athletic in the cup then we will have three wins on the bounce which will count for something when we play Manchester City but in my heart of hearts I just can't see us getting anything from the game. I'd naturally take a point but with City chasing the title (even though it's long gone) I think they'll comfortably sweep us aside.

Stoke will be tricky too and with them being a 'strong' team I don't think we'll get anything against them. Both Fellaini and Jelavic are man-handled week in and week out yet we get no protection from the officials so I can't see it being any different against a Stoke City side who will only do it more. I, at this moment in time would take a point against Stoke because I'm really worried that we could lose it.

In a nutshell - we won't get Champions League football next season.

Don't know why people are throwing in the towel on a CL spot. Granted, it's definitely an uphill battle, but a seven point gap with 11 games remaining isn't a MONUMENTAL deficit. Do I think we'll get in? Probably not. But there's still a realistic hope. I don't think there would be any shame in finishing fifth or six.

Must be at least 5th or silverware. 6th and bombing out of the cup will not be acceptable; prepare to lose Fellaini, Moyes and possibly Baines if there is no Europe for us next season.

Sixth would mean Europe, no? Unless a team like Wigan won the FA Cup.

Edited by thoward18

But don't Manchester City and United play each other in one semi-final if they get through and we get Millwall or Blackburn in the other if past the Wigan game ? I'm sure that was how I read it before. I was getting quite confident about that.

Maybe I'm just tired.

You're just tired.

Semi final draw not made yet.

What a difference a week makes... after Norwich, we we're ripping into the team and Moyes... now after two wins things are looking up. Mind you they weren't stellar opposition, and anything less than the results we had would have not made anyone happy. Let's keep this momentum going! COYB!

That's what it was, two victories against no thrills sides and we were expected to get results in both games before time. We're just too inconsistent for any champions league challenge as demonstrated that it's almost out of sight and how long before a revert to type and Moyes becomes frustrating once again and the team puts in another poor effort. I don't want to see that, only for the side to do well, but you never know what to expect from one week to the next. One moment Moyes and the team is getting castigated left and right, next you know, everything is all fine and dandy, but there's still a fair way to go this season, but how long before we see another lacklustre performance. Only taking one game at a time now from here on in.