IGNORED

Wrestling talk

Finn balor

Barrett vs Miz had nobody interested let's be honest. Atleast there was some interest in the Jericho v Fandago.

Only people werent interested because there was hardly a build up/angle to the fued unlike Jericho who gets loads of screen time when he decides to come back for 5 mins

Only a handful of kids in the front row actually believe it's all actual real life events and not storylined garbage. One or two grown-ups further back, may be just as naive however.

I love wrestling not for the fact that its fake just like movies,soaps, pantomines and theatre but that its a form of entertainment. There are some amazing athletes that peform on a daily basis and try to improve their craft and make a good living. There is huge risk of injuries and people have died from the action in the ring. I know its fake but its like dancing, one leads the other in the ring and they depend on each other to make sure they dont get hurt. i.e watch how they catch each other and look after each others bodies. Thats why i watch it. Dont get me wrong as a kid i loved the razz a matazz but as i got over i really admired their work ethic and most of them get paid a fraction of other sports/entertainers

It's just another reason not to watch. No real animosity, people hitting each other with sledgehammers and chairs and no real malice or harm intended, just play-acting and storyline banality. Even believed it all myself for a short time going back far enough. You can almost envy those small minority who actually believe it's all real and play along.

• 2 weeks later...

Extreme Rules had some decent matches and highlights today, very pleased to see The Shield all walk away with a championship each!

Cena/Ryback match was going well until the ending, really thought there should have been a clear winner and not a no contest.

Lesnar/HHH match was pretty good, knew Brock would win though and he did.

Favourite match of the night would have to be Kofi Kingston v Dean Ambrose

Anyone ever played those games they brought out (mainly from THQ) in the last 10 or 12 years. Best one I ever tried was Here Comes the Pain, released about nine years ago, but some of the gameplay was damn irritating, such as playing in a cage match and your player or opponent would simply stand in the corner while the other was allowed to climb the cage in order to win. Character attributes were ridiculous also, such as Triple H, Steiner or Test far stronger than they should have been and the storyline mode was boring after you'd played it a few times, but apart from that, one of the best wrestling releases ever. Tried Smackdown vs Raw once and it was so complex and detailed, the gameplay was awful. They tried to fit everything into one release and the end product was a real disappointment

Christ, I wasn't aware of that, thought he was already deceased maybe. Not even a name you think about.

That is sad news actually, as although wasn't as big a name as Giant Haystacks or Kendo Nagasaki or Big Daddy in UK wrestling of the 1970s, was still an important, if not controversial figure and audiences would always turn up to watch.

McManus was from New Cross, so maybe they'll have a little tribute there today, but sorry to hear of this news. Best to the family after this passing.

That is sad news actually, as although wasn't as big a name as Giant Haystacks or Kendo Nagasaki or Big Daddy in UK wrestling of the 1970s, was still an important, if not controversial figure and audiences would always turn up to watch.

His headline career predated Crabtree and Ruane by many years, and in that era he was every bit as big as Nagasaki. Bigger in my memory.

Maybe you'd not left the States in the sixties so wouldn't be aware of thatsmile.png.

I didn't go to live events of the time, although was aware of the names. They showed repeats on satellite a year or two again, but can't remember the channel in question. It was World of Sport that originally broadcast and always took place from Town Halls and the Mayor was usually in attendance and people could be seen in front rows dressed up in their best clothes and smoking cigars. It's a lost era

No, maybe Nagasaki was a much bigger crowd puller than McManus ever was, he even rivalled Big Daddy in terms of popularity and appeal, but I wasn't that much of a fan of it. It was decent entertainment for a rainy day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WWE is hot at the minute. Bryan is a machine and will face Cena at Summerslam. Ziggler is fresh as a face and should win the belt back and be booked as a Shawn Micheals type as his "bumping" is second to none. NXT are building the next stars under HHH Wyatts,Neville,Paige,Summer Rae,Emma who are ready to come up

It was only a few days ago, in that it was the sixth anniversary of the Chris Benoit tragedy. Been meaning to give it a mention but been a bit hectic just lately. One of the greatest technical wrestlers ever, with Bret Hart. Can't condone what occured in the end, but make no mistake about it, was one great wrestler and became a fan favorite eventually after peoples initial skepticism. Great end to Wrestlemania XX with him and Eddie Guerrero some will remember.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah your right one of the best ends of a pay per view ever. Benoit is in my top 3" wrestlers " of all time. loved him as a worker, obviously a piece of shit when he murdered his son. There is a film coming out of his life soon

I don't watch WWF/E anymore but they've got a wrestler called superman ? Fair enough, it's probably another wrestler than seems unbeatable or has gone on a run and not aware of the name. Think Diesel in the 1990s or CM Punk more recently. Sorry again about the whole Benoit scenario. It was a tragic occurence for all concerned. One of the greatest technical figures ever in the history of the industry, but at least he did get to be world champion in the end, a fitting honor to such a talented individual. Turned down the opportunity of winning the WWE title after his 2004 Royal Rumble win and favoring a shot at the lesser belt, but it was his decision. Him against Guerrero would have been the ideal showdown / main event

Benoit v Eddie would have been immense but for the overall card it wouldn't have worked. I've watched Benoit since he was the Pegasus Kid in Japan in the early nineties and his matches v Angle at the Rumble really set him on his way to being a main eventer. But in reality much like Bryan he could have a believable match with anybody regardless of their size. Superman refers to John Cena that has no aspect of how pro wrestling works. He doesn't "sell" he doesn't know how to make a simple submission move like the STF "believable" ie he applies no pressure and time after time when he takes a move that he is supposed to "sell" he springs up like "superman" and shrugs it off like it never happened killing the guy he is supposed to be working with

ziggler is the best worker at the moment..fully deserves his push...love bryan too...YES! YES! YES! hope he beats superman

Its nice to have the same opinion on wrestling as you Marco, I love Ziggler and think he could be the modern day Micheals (obviously nowhere as good) but his bumps are awesome. I think Bryan is on another level to anybody at the minute I can see him winning the belt clean against Cena and Orton cashing in on Mcmahons say so

Who is your top ten wrestlers of all time that you have watched? just wrestling. Then top ten all round guys that could wrestle,talk and draw the crowds?

WRESTLERS: 1.Benoit 2.Micheals 3. Angle 4. Eddie 5. Bryan 6.Mysterio 7.Flair( started watching in 89 just as he had peaked) 8.Bret Hart 9. Austin 10. Savage

ALL ROUND WORKER:1.Austin 2.Micheals 3.Savage 4.Angle 5.Flair 6.Ted Dibase 7. The Rock 8.Edge 9.HHH (hate to admit it) 10. Punk