IGNORED

Wrestling talk

Finn balor

I couldn't name a top wrestler or in any order, there's been so many impressive names, but for that elite bracket, would have to include, in no order

# Shawn Michaels

# Triple H

# Chris Benoit

# Dean Malenko

# Hulk Hogan (before all that Hollywood, or New World Order crap)

# Bret Hart

# Bruno Sammartino

# Yokozuna

# Andre the Giant

# Jimmy Snuka

hard to pick my top ten on wrestling and all rounders..for now will just do a top ten of my favourites just cos they are

kane

triple h

stone cold

chris jericho

eddie guerrero

the rock

undertaker

kurt angle(before he went to tna)

edge

jeff hardy

not because any of them are particularly gifted just liked them

wade barrett, dean ambrose, daniel bryan and dolph ziggler will be pushing for a spot when they've been around a bit longer though

doesn't anyone remember wrestling before the 21st century ? The Legion of Doom aside, and possibly The Undertaker, no real retro names there. I never rated Perfect or Warrior too much. The former won the Intercontinental title on one or two occasions (RIP Curt Hennig), but was nowhere near the technical ability of other names of that time or beyond, and Warrior may have beaten Hogan at Wrestlemania VI, but I don't remember much else. Tried to make an ill-advised return with the now defunct WCW some years later, and a re-match with Hogan, but it was never going to take off. Too much of a hyperbole figure, and there's been enough of those in past years and experiences.

I am a 90s kid, started watching around 99 or so. Have watched stars before that time but ultimately I think my first impressions have had a big impact in forming the list of favourites I have today. Did definitely get a kick out of some of those older wrestlers i.e. Ultimate Warrior, Bret Hart etc. and matches before my time but what I grew up with just always sticks to me.

TNA is awful. It's like an elephants graveyard for former recognized and accomplished names such as Kurt Angle, Hogan, Sting etc, seeing out the twilight of their careers.

Used to have an interest for a short time, but eventually lost interest in a full capacity. Wasnt' much better than the now defunct WCW.

TNA is dying, Carter has no idea how to run a company. Sabin world champ? im all up for new talent like Aries but they wrecked him.theyve just signed two mma fighters for no reason

She's no Vince McMahon or Jack Tunney but these individuals will try their best or do what they think is right for their company. I couldn't even name who the TNA champion is now. Last I watched, Ken Anderson and Jeff Hardy were swapping it pretty frequent. Even Angle held for it a time, and it was sad to see such a celebrated name wasting his time on such a disappointing show. Hogan should have divorced himself from the industry long ago, but apparently he's been in some financial struggles in recent years so seems a bit desperate. Still gets in the ring of all things once or twice, but it's merely for nostalgia purposes. The flame was extinguished long ago. It's on Challenge often enough now, but never watch anymore, and don't like the channel add to that.

Really and truly don't want to offend anyone but this thread totally bemuses me :huh:.

It makes as much sense as having an "Andrew Lloyd Webber" thread with people discussing JC Superstar, Cats and Phantom of the Opera as if they were real life.

I'm sure it's clever theatre but grown ups talking about it like it's a sport (though I realise it's in "off topic" rather than "general sport") is just plain bonkers imo.

Sorry.

Are you back from your vacation yet or just dropping by

Wrestling is actually 'sports entertainment' so to all intents and purposes it should be in the general sports index, but there's no sense in changing it over at this point. It's more than just 'miscellaneous talk'

Been a wrestling enthusiast for many years now, recognize a whole host of names and events and have a damn good knowledge but haven't watched for some eight or nine years now on a regular basis

Yes it's generally aimed at kids, but they're so naive, a great many don't realize it's all make believe. Even went along with it myself going back far enough. It's a real shitter when you realize it's all storylined and staged. Adults watch, men and women of all ages.

Yes it's not an industry for everyone, say again have lost interest in recent years, but it really did captivate for a good many years.

Are you back from your vacation yet or just dropping by

Back in the UK but not yet home....probably tomorrow.

Edited: Meant to stay out of this thread so shouldn't have replied to the rest of DK's post....response deleted and I'm out of here.

Really and truly don't want to offend anyone but this thread totally bemuses me :huh:.

It makes as much sense as having an "Andrew Lloyd Webber" thread with people discussing JC Superstar, Cats and Phantom of the Opera as if they were real life.

I'm sure it's clever theatre but grown ups talking about it like it's a sport (though I realise it's in "off topic" rather than "general sport") is just plain bonkers imo.

Sorry.

No offence taken mate we all like our own things I guess :yay:

Try and see a match between Kellet and Bobby Barnes. I never laugh much or offer much humor but admittedly it's an amusing match, if you can ever see it on World of Sport. Tried to find it on Youtube before but was unable. The 1970s wrestling from Britsh event halls with the Town Mayor in attendance and people in the front row, in savile row suits smoking pipes and cigars are a long forgotten piece of the past, with names like Nagasaki, Giant Haystacks, Michael McManus and Wayne Bridges. They may have offered some (unintentional) humor and been something for a rainy day but can't come close to the WWF of the time or even years later or the real spectacular of the industry.

Hulk Hogan is 60 Years Old Today

Was never a favorite wrestler of mine, but recognize him for what he was, an immense and highly popular athlete who reached legendary status and provided one or two moments or matches that will live with us forever. The scoop slam of Andre the Giant being one such example. Now wasted on the elephants graveyard that is TNA but still respected and admired nonetheless. Happy Birthday Mr Bollea

hogan.jpg

He should have quit the industry years ago. Just another name to add into it, such as Bruce Willis, Harrison Ford etc, still doing their respective things like Die Hard and Indiana Jones, hanging on to past glories or nostalgia purposes, when the sensible thing to do, would have been to have stepped down long before.

Say what you like, and he's evidently too old to still be involved, but what an immense name for the industry of wrestling. Just doesn't have the sense to know when enough is enough, but it still pays a check doesn't it.

I'm not knocking him and his accomplishments he was the second biggest drawing power in the history of the business. His ability as a worker is obviously well known and was carried by Dibase,Savage etc in longer matches and when he wasn't facing those calibre of guys the matches went 10-15 minutes but they were sold out. His TNA run is for his pension as he took a hit on his divorce and legal case with his turd of a son. Will still end up with WWE unfortunately

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get WWE wrestling and even if we could, don't think I could watch again after an absence of eight or nine years. I couldn't even name 95 per cent of who is involved on their programs now.

Although saw some of a TNA PPV last night, think it was Hardcore Justice, but realized I shouldn't have been watching as said would never view again, but couldn't quite pull away. Lots of blood and people cutting themselves, but it's all just nonsense isn't it.

SummerSlam always signaled the arrival of the fall when watching years back, so it could be my favorite event of the year, in the knowledge that the winter months are not far away.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see TT has a few other wrestling fans in here. Huge fan. Although I only seem to care about Punk and Bryan at present moment. In my eyes any angle with Punk involved is gold. Quite enjoying the "new corporation" angle, but the same ending (excluding last night) for seven straight shows was tiresome. Wish they would push Barrett though. Who's your choice of wrestlers in the current roaster?

What I dont like about this new angle is "the big cry-a-baby". Why the must reduce the big show to a crying giant baby is beyond me, just makes no sense in terms of his character and bores me to death. The Shield are ace though, Ambrose is going to be a hell of a star in the E in a couple of years. They do need to sort Ziggler out, hes a top performer yet seems to be depushed all the time.