IGNORED

Stereo Equipment

Matt

Guys, any of you stereo experts?

Ive got a budget of 5-700quid for a long term (15-20yrs if possible) investment stereo system. My current mini disc system is 17 years old (speakers are still very good) but limited in what it can do.

I think I have to have a decent AC receiver, though Im reckoning about 60% of the budget will go towards the speakers (which I think Ive found: http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/cambridge-audio/aero-2/camb-aer0-2-dw )

Im planning on getting it all from Richer Sounds in Liverpool if I can, because Im only in town a limited amount of time. For the AC Receiver, Im not sure what to go for, mostly because I need to go and chat to the guys in RS. Want the following specs:

• top quality 2.1 - I dont need anything else in my living room and cant do 5.1 because of the cabling involved.
  • maybe find a way of sneaking in my currect Sony speakers - like I said, they still work very well
  • bluetooth & wifi connectivity
  • Connections to allow a PS3, Sky box, TV (so I reckon around 4 HDMI should do it)
  • Possibility to do 7.1 in the future, if I ever get house without direct neighbours

Thinking this one will cover my bases:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txnr626/onky-txnr626-blk

Not sure which way round the budget should go, if I should spend more on the AC or the speakers. I just want to be able to control the level of bass easily (so no separate sub) and not have to change the volume during action sequences and talking sequences in movies.

I know 10% of the budget should go on cabling too.

Ive been recommended soundbars, but dont like them. 1 - theyre ugly, but more importantly 2 - our room is a very strange shape so not convinced it would work. Plus, they all seem to have limited connectivity options.

Anyway.... Any ideas guys? Im hoping to end up with 100 quid to spare so I can get a blue tooth speak for my man room, though if all else fails the old mini disc system will go up there.

I'm so out of the loop on this stuff now.

Was spoiled as a kid/teenager with absolute state of the art top of the range kit due to my dad's work, then spent the best part of twenty years working with pro stuff and had nothing at home. Most of your post went right over my head Matt sadly.

Have a fairly modest CD player now with a pair of KEF speakers that I'm always impressed with on the rare occasions that I push them (great deals from Richer).

Personally I think the "10% on cabling" amount is a bit excessive; for sure don't buy the cheapest option but the differences for the average human ear are pretty negligible once you have something decent. Just because some pretentious audiophile can show you a scientific study demonstrating the benefits of spending another £100 doesn't mean you're going to be able to hear it :).

If I had the money I'd go retro personally....particularly amp wise. I had my dad's old Quad II valve system until a few years back but had to sell it due to hard times....love to replace it one day. I'd also like a decent quarter inch reel to reel like I used to work with; Studer A810 would be my first choice but a Revox or Teac would probably be more realistic.

Dream on :(.

Hi Matt,

I've got the onkyo AV receiver you listed there. It's brilliant! I have it hooked up to my tv and projector, so switching between the two was essential for me and it does the trick perfectly.

I got a set of boston acoustics 5.1 speaker set, then bought two more of the same speakers to make it into 7.1(I will eventually get another of the same sub to make it 7.2 when the missus/neighbours let me).

I couldn't recommend it all enough to be honest, from games to films to music, it's immense.

Should you start with 2.1 it's easily upgraded. If you get the iPhone/iPad app for the onkyo systems you can control the individual speakers with it, including the sub. For example my sub has controls on the back, I leave it at a mid level and control by the app when I want more or less bass.

In terms of the budget I'd say split 50/50 between receiver and speakers, but if you get the onkyo for £300 and spend the rest on speakers you will have one hell of a system. Just make sure you get really got quality cables for your speakers, in my opinion it really does make a difference. Like Mike says, don't spend hundreds, but get some decent quality. Can get good size reels of cable on amazon for good value.

Where is your man room compared to where you want the receiver? It has a second zone set up on it, where you can wire in a simple 2.0 set up that can bet turned on or off easily. Then no need for Bluetooth.

The speakers you've linked should be a good quality too, Cambridge are normally top quality and that price for two should get you some good clear noise.

If there's anything I can help you with Matt just let me know. I only got all my gear less than a year ago (got very lucky with amazon vouchers from work and spent the lot) but I knew it was a one off purchase so I wanted to get it right, I spent months researching each item before I went for it.

Edited by StevO

Going to play with it before taking it back to Swiss. The guys at Richer said I can take the speakers back if I'm not that happy, but the salesman uses the same speakers (I thought it was a sales pitch, he showed me a photo of his setup, and he wasn't lying!) and he loves them. Not sure if i will go for 5.1 or 7.2 because of the size of our room. Will let you know how I get on!

How come you bought them over here and not in Zurich or wherever, is the price difference that much?

massive dude. Just looking again, there's at least 70quid on the ACR. Speakers about the same, but no warranty, no cables - got 6m of silver lined cabling and a 30quid HDMI free, plus a 5yr warranty. Saved around 130 quid all told.

Going to play with it before taking it back to Swiss. The guys at Richer said I can take the speakers back if I'm not that happy, but the salesman uses the same speakers (I thought it was a sales pitch, he showed me a photo of his setup, and he wasn't lying!) and he loves them. Not sure if i will go for 5.1 or 7.2 because of the size of our room. Will let you know how I get on!

Happy days mate. 7.1 is great for me, only slightly better than 5.1 but the little details make the difference to me.

Going to two subs is only worth it in a very large room in my opinion, or it'll just drown out the speakers.

Break out all your favourite old music when you've got it set up.

I had plenty of fun with it.

• 2 weeks later...

No mate, not had a chance yet. Looks like I'm home alone tonight though, so might try and break it in ;)

Been told it will need 60 hours of usage before the sound stabilizes, to allow the speakers to set in. Also bought some pedals for my guitar so planning on trying them all together by playing along to Joe Bonamassa on bluray :) will try and get a pic up (if i remember)

Matt, have you connected your guitar amp to the a/v receiver?

Your speakers will soften up after a good few hours use and your sound will be clearer, but not enough really to notice (small differences and a gradual change too).

How are you finding the Onkyo? Set up and everything ok?

Edited by StevO

Guitar through it eh? Not sure how my neighbours will cope with that, considering I got a metal pedal too :P

Onkyo - I'm very happy! Still lots to play with though, I'm sure I'm not using all of the gadgets yet. Need to get the apps too and play with them!

I've had my onkyo for about a year now, I've probably used about 20% of the toys on there, I'm more than happy to keep it that way.

The apps are great on iPhone/iPad. I find it easier to adjust the sound via the apps than the remote.

Did you use the audessey set up?

Edited by StevO

Keep the audessey kit safe, you'll use it when you decide to buy more speakers (I'm sure you will one day).

The instructions say to stay out of the way of the speakers when you set up. So laying flat on the floor while it does the job, I looked a right knob head if my neighbours saw me.

My living room is pretty small too, but my speakers are a lot smaller than yours, tiny even. So the missus couldn't complain when I came home with seven of them.

Edited by StevO

Very nice. I've barely played since I moved, got too involved with DIY. My guitars are still at the parents house. I've got a Gretch that's too much fun, sounds dirty, especially with my old school Vox. I love it. Always wanted a Gibson but never had the cash spare.

Edited by StevO