IGNORED

Time for a sports psychologist?

NYBlue

The scoreline from Saturday truly flattered Arsenal. I thought they did enough to win the game but it remains that for the second year running we seemingly had a fantastic opportunity to win the cup only to go out having not played our strongest side.

Be it the typical luck of Everton but we are found to be wanting in the big games when the team needs to turn up and be counted.

It is time for a sports psychologist? - England are taking Dr Steven Peters to Brazil and he has had some fantastic results outside of football and Gerrard has previously said he valued his input.

I don't think it's in the minsets of the players I think it's more to do with the club in general. It's perceived as a lovely family run club, loyal to it's fans and even more so since RM's arrival, more approachable to opposition fans with the nice softly, softly approach. Two words is what we need pit back into the club and the team. Imagination and arrogance.... The shite have all the arrogance this year and even more so when the fat Spaniard was in charge....this bred winning mentality or the sheer arrogance to demand that they deserved to be with the big boys....... I strongly think we need to start being a little bit nastier on the field and give the ref something to think about cause all I have seen this season is the likes of liverpool and arsenal muscleing us off the ball.... These teams used to be shit scared of us. We can still play the nice passing but without it taking no prisoners.

I don't think it's in the minsets of the players I think it's more to do with the club in general. It's perceived as a lovely family run club, loyal to it's fans and even more so since RM's arrival, more approachable to opposition fans with the nice softly, softly approach. Two words is what we need pit back into the club and the team. Imagination and arrogance.... The shite have all the arrogance this year and even more so when the fat Spaniard was in charge....this bred winning mentality or the sheer arrogance to demand that they deserved to be with the big boys....... I strongly think we need to start being a little bit nastier on the field and give the ref something to think about cause all I have seen this season is the likes of liverpool and arsenal muscleing us off the ball.... These teams used to be shit scared of us. We can still play the nice passing but without it taking no prisoners.

Good point, and I think its coming. We've had a dip since the new year but the mentality has always been attack, even if the imagination and creativity hasnt happened. Its no coincidence that the dip coincided with Gerry, Ross, Lukaku, et al getting injured either.

Cant remember who it was that made the point, but look at Rodgers across the park. Its taken until now for him to implement his style and they are thriving. But until now (Christmas), theyve been shite and dour to watch for the most part. Martinez has already inspired imagination in the team and its supporters, his biggest and most notable contribution so far, and thats after 9 months? Up until Lukaku got injured, I saw another big difference in my own opinion of Everton; if we went behind, I had no doubt that we would pull it back. Of course, once we lost our main striker we suffered and doubt crept into my mind, but I still always believe we will score in a game. That faith was never there under Moyes, it was always "I hope we score, this is too stressful".

Its been said before, I think people (this isnt aimed at you Brett) are forgetting this is a development season, and maybe next season will be too. We've already shown arrogance against the big boys, and its only individual errors that have cost us really. On top of that, the excitement of the 1st half of the season massively lifted expectations and maybe distorted reality for some.

Do we need a psychologist ? No - we have Roberto Martinez, and a little time for him to work his magic...

Edited by Matt

The shite have all the arrogance this year and even more so when the fat Spaniard was in charge....this bred winning mentality or the sheer arrogance to demand that they deserved to be with the big boys

Sorry, it didn't breed winning mentality. That fat fucker almost bankrupted them... financially and mentally. They now use a sports psychologist.... one of the best in the world. Can't recall his name, he was on tv the other week in an unrelated programme and dropped it out he works for the shite. If it's good enough for them it's more than good enough for us. Pride is a killer, especially misplaced pride, and no harm in giving it a go.

Edited by Cake

I think a lot of the success the RS have enjoyed has been a whole lot of luck and a guy by the name of Gerrard.

Luck can't last forever and Gerrard won't be around forever. On many occasions he has single handily been responsible fro dragging them over the finish line. Suarez also brings that non-stop winning mentality to the team. While we will never be in their shadow they bring certain things to the table that enable them to get as much out of the team as possible.

I'm sure RM looks at all options available to them. Maybe its a knock on effect from the days of Moyes when "he'd be lucky to get out of an encounter with the so called big 4 alive"

We should be able to make it over the line and get that win when it matters. Not deluded to the point of Arsenal fans where they believe it's their god given right to be winning and challenging but there's that obvious little spark we need.

To be fair cake he won the European cup with them, and with a shit side I may add...... That team was based in arrogance and the installed idea by him that they deserved there place in history.

We know that was mainly the team that Houllier had assembled, and for a 'shit side' they didn't do bad by becoming champions of europe. Yes it's all water under the bridge and Milan simply threw it away on the night through sheer complacency, but at least argue that the Liverpool side of the time had some good players.

Its been mentioned before also that this club probably employs some level of psychologist, to go alongside any nutritionists and physicists this, or any other club, who would employ for the benefit of their players.

But it shouldn't be down to the manager to implant belief into the heads of players that they can achieve something without need of the individuals raised in the initial post ? Isn't that their primary job and what they essentially get paid for ?

To be fair cake he won the European cup with them, and with a shit side I may add...... That team was based in arrogance and the installed idea by him that they deserved there place in history.

That's fair enough about winning the European Cup but their arrogance almost cost them that game in the first 45 minutes. He made them a decent cup knockout, one-off game team (that's partly why Abramovich trusted in him for a short spell) after spending in excess of £240m.

It's clearly noticeable there is a different atmosphere, almost a calm determination, about Liverpool this season, compared with last and recent seasons. Look at Suarez.. he is not the same player as last season... no cheating, no snidey fouls (stamping, raking, biting, diving.....), no throwing toys out of the pram every time and I mean every time something doesn't go right for him. If I had £40m to spend and they would let him go for that I know where I would spend it. Gerrard is different, nowhere near as cocky and "our history, our fans, blah fucking wah everyone's against us......"). There's a load of them 'different'.. Henderson is not a footballer, or wasn't until now.... he's still no world beater but is very effective. Coutinho.... as good as, if not better than Oscar, this season? There are others... they're 'different' and it isn't all down to Rodgers, the Kop, nor Bill Shankley, The approach they have developed is down to the guy below;

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-appoint-top-rated-sports-3330606

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Peters_(psychiatrist)

http://www.chimpparadox.co.uk/

There are a couple who haven't listened to a fucking word he's said, though... Glen Johnson still likes to run the ball out of play while over-lapping for a right foot cross and then looking as if it's the first time it's ever happened to him and he'll then try cutting inside to twat it over the bar with his left with the Britney "Oops I did it again" on his face and there's Skrtel who just wants to be loved with the amount of hugging he does and then attempts to scare the ref when he's pulled about it with his Eastern European "I'll bite your neck and kill you dead forever" look on his face. Skrtel is also slower than Gareth Barry, if that's at all possible, but Dr Steve can't help with that one!

Get one in (a psychologist). What harm can it do? Chelsea have got their own full-time one. Why not us? Or are we too proud?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Suarez is a different person my arse. He's still a cheating cunt. Don't ever tell me different about that vile man. He's a genius with the ball and also a cunt withit aswell. He is the devil himself but with that attitude that's why they are where they are.

Guest blueboy122

Agree with everything you have said Cake apart from Suarez.

I think he has been worse this season for diving and conning referee's.

Brilliant player though hate to admit it.

Members on here have been saying for years what eveyone is basically saying in this thread about us not being arrogant and agressive enough.

The way Liverpool think they have a devine right to be in the top 4 or even be champions because of there history, we need to have the same mentality just need to not be so arrogant about it with other fans because Liverpool fans probably have the worst repuattion for being deluded etc.

I've read the Chimp Paradox and it's eye opening, completely changed the way I think and has resulted in me having a better understanding of how to deal with every little detail of my life.

I went in the space of 6 months from being a typical lad on the estate in Liverpool, plastering for a living and seeing a long hard slog to keep my head above water to holding my own in a high pressure sales environment on the other side of the world. Truly I never thought it possible, I find myself automatically referring back to the principles in the Chimp Paradox every time anything becomes hard in life.

I think it's a no brainer, the British cycling team used Dr Steven Peters and dominated over the past 10 years, Ronnie O'Sullivan used him and turned his career around winning 2 world championships in style. Now look at the shite after working with him, plus my own experience with his principles, can do zero harm IMO!!

Guest Nikica

I'm surprised you don't already have a sports psychologist as it's clearly the way to go. Someone also said 'we should let go of our pride and hire one'. What's so shameful about it? If anything,I'd say it shows clubs as progressive and open-minded.

johnh with another beauty above.