IGNORED

Everton players at the UEFA U17 Championship

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/apr/england-u17-squad-named-by-john-peacock-for-european-championship-in-malta-230414

Two Everton players named in England squad: Ryan Ledson and JonJoe Kenny.

England fixtures:

9 May 17:00 BST - Malta

12 May 10:15 BST - Turkey

15 May 10:00 BST - Netherlands

All games will be shown on Eurosport.

http://www.uefa.com/under17/index.html

Something else I've noticed. Scot Gemmill is in charge of the Scottish U17s.

Great to see two of our youngsters involved, although it makes it unlikely that Ryan Ledson will be on the bench again at Hull. It would have been good to see him get 5-10 minutes,

Although it could be a blessing in a way I guess, get a full pre-season with the first team squad and be better prepared when the time comes? Or do people think that's still premature and he'll mostly stay with the youngsters next season?

Great to see two of our youngsters involved, although it makes it unlikely that Ryan Ledson will be on the bench again at Hull. It would have been good to see him get 5-10 minutes,

Martinez rates him. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-starlet-ryan-ledson-7074931

“He has done really well and has deserved the opportunity to be in the first team squad,” said boss Roberto Martinez.

“It was a very close call to him coming on to make his first team debut and it’s a shame now that he needs to join England under-17s. It’s an official tournament, England has priority and Ryan is the captain at that level.

“But he has benefitted from the experience he has had with the first team and we have all been very impressed with Ryan’s development this season and his appearances for the under-21s.

“He is a young man with a very bright future and we want to see that development continue and give him the opportunity he deserves.

“He’s a player destined to be part of the School of Science.”

I really hope people keep in perspective that Barkley is the exception to the rule. Deulofeu was the best player in the U20 World Cup last year, Barcelona's best homegrown talent since Messi, and even still he's only a rotation player at Everton right now. Ledson's a tremendous talent but he's only 16. Especially if we're improving our ambitions in terms CL and such, it could be another 3-5 years before he's really a factor. Next year I could see him getting into a few cup games but I hope Everton loan him out to a great League One side or a solid Championship side.

Hard to tell too much about Ledson and Kenny from this game.

Ledson played as the holding midfielder, but defensively he wasn't really challenged. England always had enough people back to deal with Malta's sporadic counters, they were always low on numbers as well. I can't even say whether he's quick or not, cause I don't think he's had to full on sprint once this game. He flashed some of his on-ball ability though. Played a couple of long diagonal balls that were spot on and he played some lovely one touch football through the middle a couple of times. One of the best segments of the game was when he ran with the ball towards goal, passed it forward and immediately received the ball back, and in one touch played a third man through on goal.

Kenny played right back and was hardly noticeable. Barely had any defending to do and didn't offer much going forward. Mostly just stayed out of the final third as well. Doesn't look like a Premier League talent to me.

Apart from Ledson and Roberts, I also liked Joshua Onomah (plays for Spurs), Joshua Sims (plays for Southampton) and Joseph Gomez (plays for Charlton apparently, perhaps he could be interesting to us as well).

this baffles me regarding kenny have you ever seen him play other than that comp on the telly. He's 17 yrs old

He can play midfield and centre back you won't notice him at right back if he has nothing to do.

The lad has a great engine on him you can't say he doesn't look like a premier player at his age.

It's just being realistic. 80% or more of these players you'll never hear of again. Have a look at the England squads for this tournament in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011 and tell me how many you know for reasons other than "he played for Everton". Only the very best, the ones that combine talent and attitude, make it and Kenny didn't have any standout attributes I could see.

so that's a no then you haven't seen him play.

He's 17 so let's wait and see.

Of course I haven't seen him play other than these two games. That doesn't mean you can't immediately tell that he doesn't have any outstanding qualities. If he were of possible PL quality, you'd have noticed pretty easily.

Of course I haven't seen him play other than these two games. That doesn't mean you can't immediately tell that he doesn't have any outstanding qualities. If he were of possible PL quality, you'd have noticed pretty easily.

PL quality.... That's a very difficult thing to quantify. I mean, Titus Bramble.