IGNORED

Cycling

On holiday so only saw it with no sound sadly; bit of a minority sport in Greece. Got the highlights on record at home so I'll watch when I get back. Seems things have been put right though.

I disagree about it having been put right. I dont think he should have been given a bonus. I can name you ten races of the top of my head where a fan or a car or a motorbike impeded a cyclist which directly influenced who won. The fact that fans were allowed to come so close is a big mistake by the organisation but in my opinion its all in the game.

Several riders have said the same on twitter.

Geraint Thomas on being shown a pic of Froome running: "well hes from kenya, you expect him to be good at that". :)

Have a great holiday, Mike.

I disagree about it having been put right. I dont think he should have been given a bonus. I can name you ten races of the top of my head where a fan or a car or a motorbike impeded a cyclist which directly influenced who won. The fact that fans were allowed to come so close is a big mistake by the organisation but in my opinion its all in the game.

Several riders have said the same on twitter.

Geraint Thomas on being shown a pic of Froome running: "well hes from kenya, you expect him to be good at that". :)

Have a great holiday, Mike.

I didn't realise he'd been given a bonus, not seen the details, just that he'd kept yellow. I'll have a look into it.

And thanks; last minute eJ/Travel Republic thing so not quite the quality of accommodation we normally get but it's adequate/clean so can't complain.

Hmmm, not really given a bonus, just given the same time as the guy he was with at the time (Mollema). Would have been automatic in a flat stage; might even have cost him time as there's every chance he'd have distanced Mollema and Porte (and taken more out of Quintana) in the final km.

GC riders should have waited for him imo; if the result had stood it would have been akin to a fan running on the pitch during a decisive kick in a penalty shoot-out and holding the 'keeper down while the taker stroked it in and it being allowed to stand.

• 5 months later...

Only the second time in seven years I think mate (though I reserve the right to use it again :P).

Astonishing the progression we've had in recent years; Sky being the focus but individual success in other teams also.

Amazing the amount of people you see out on the roads over here now, been an explosion.

It seems The Daily Mail investigative journalism has taken away some of the astonishment...

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Once more? Simon Yates in the Giro! Outdoes Wiggins and Froome for me if he brings it home. Astonishing performance. 

His (twin) brother is very good too.  Both very talented and great fun to watch.

Allthough I have to say, racing for Sky, I really hope they're doing it clean.  Froome shouldn't be allowed to race anymore until he manages to clear his name (most teams would have benched him already). After all the problems with Wiggins, Team Sky is becoming synonymous with shady practice.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

I know you don't think he should be riding but today was incredible! Shame for Yates, maybe put too much into the time trial.

yes I think it's bad for cycling he is winning races when at some point he might be erased from the result. I hope Dumoulin overtakes him.

I guess Yates today proved he's clean 😉

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, holystove said:

"only" .. If ASO dont want him in their race, I would bet on no Froome this year.

Race organisers aren't the governing body of world cycling though are they? Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Race organisers aren't the governing body of world cycling though are they? Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Yes but ASO has clashed with UCI before.  They own the biggest races and can pretty much do whatever they want.  

A lot of other riders think he shouldnt be allowed to race, and the head of UCI is on record saying he wishes Froome would just take himself out of the race until he can explain and prove why he had to use Salbutamol.

What a farce.  He was under investigation for 9 months.  Then he gets banned from Tour and all of a sudden it is resolved in 3 days.

Other riders with lower levels of Salbutamol did get a ban in the past and UCI nor WADA have given any reason why this time it is allowed.

UCI shooting itself in the foot on this one, in a sport where they have to regain publics confidence with all doping trouble of past (and present).

1 hour ago, holystove said:

Other riders with lower levels of Salbutamol did get a ban in the past and UCI nor WADA have given any reason why this time it is allowed.

Because the teams those riders rode for didn't have financial clout to employ the right people to get to the truth? Or they were "lesser" riders who were more easily replaceable?

Timing is "convenient" I agree but the findings were pretty unequivocal...

"The UCI understands that there will be significant discussion of this decision, but wishes to reassure all that its decision is based on expert opinions, Wada's advice, and a full assessment of the facts of the case."

You seem to suggest (m'lud) that somehow the UCI are showing favouritism for Sky/Froome, why would they do that? He seems to be a figure of hate across the continent and is nowhere near as popular in the UK as Wiggins is/was (despite his substance issues). He's hardly a big draw like Contador or any of the sport's historical big names, logic would suggest that they'd do everything they could to ban him if they had the slightest justification.

Mike, after all cycling went through it became common practice to, as a team decision, bench your rider when he gets caught.  Sky didnt do that and created a lot of ill will towards them and Froome both amongst fans as in the peloton.

If Froome was that obviously innocent as the UCI is making out now, he was just as innocent 9 months ago. What do cycling fans make of this sudden conclusion in such suspicious circumstances..

With the levels of Salbutamol of Froome he must be some asthma patient, its a joke and completely unbelievable that he needs this as a professional cyclist.

Other riders banned for using Salbutamol were Pettachi, Trentin, Ulissi.. big names riding for big teams.

I think by clearing Froome the UCI is trying to get past the issue of doping in cycling and they are scared of having to scratch his name from a lot of results, but they are going about it all wrong.  Zero tolerance is the only way, otherwise some cyclists will always be looking for that edge.