IGNORED

U21s could play in the Johnstones Paint Trophy next season

Louis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/03/19/premier-league-in-negotiations-for-under-21-teams-to-enter-johns/

The Premier League are in negotiations to introduce up to 16 of their clubs’ Under-21s teams into the Football League’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy next season, as a means of giving academy-produced players a taste of real competitive football.

The only Premier League clubs eligible for entry into the competition would be those with category one-rated academies, as audited under the new youth development programme, the Elite Player Performance Plan.

The move is part of the Premier League’s drive to push forward with improvements to its Under-21s and academy structure which will be discussed at the 20 clubs’ shareholders’ meeting on Wednesday.

I think it's ridiculous. Some lower league teams might now see it as a real 'joke' cup, deem it to be full of "kids" and not bother.

From a morale perspective, the idea of a bunch of kids beating you in a cup competition, is unthinkable and embarrassing.

In my opinion, it lowers the seriousness.

I think it's ridiculous. Some lower league teams might now see it as a real 'joke' cup, deem it to be full of "kids" and not bother.

From a morale perspective, the idea of a bunch of kids beating you in a cup competition, is unthinkable and embarrassing.

In my opinion, it lowers the seriousness.

Even against a premiership U21 team it may be a good ground filler and probably more TV money.