IGNORED

Soccer Trivia!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledg...1839741,00.html

The earliest recorded case of match-fixing

"It's a whopping 106 years ago and involves Burnley goalkeeper 'Happy' Jack Hillman. With his team needing to beat Nottingham Forest to avoid relegation, Hillman was alleged to have offered the opposition £2 a head to "take it easy" [around £144 in today's money, according to the retail price index]. He upped his offer to £5 [£360] at half-time, by which point Burnley were trailing 2-0.

The Clarets eventually lost 4-0 and went down to the second division before being hauled before the Football League. Hillman admitted speaking to Forest players, but denied trying to bribe them. Which didn't wash with the authorities, who chose to set an example by banning him from the game for one year."

what a lad!!

Edited by java2001e

celebrities whove had trials with professional clubs.

Ronnie O'Sullivan (Tottenham)

Boris Becker (Bayern Munich)

Craig Charles (Tranmere)

Mike Yarwood (Oldham)

Martin Kemp (Arsenal)

Daley Thompson (Mansfield)

Jimmy Tarbuck (Brighton)

Stan Boardman (Liverpool)

Leonard Rossiter (Everton)

Johnny Marr (Manchester City)

Simon Webbe (Stoke)

Charlie Williams (Doncaster)

Eddie Large (Manchester City)

Nicky Byrne (Leeds)

Anthony LaPaglia (Adelaide City)

Gavin Rossdale (Chelsea)

And then there are those who opted out of the footballing dream. Take Sean Connery: he turned down trials, first with East Fife, and then with Manchester United, to become James Bond. "I really wanted to accept [united] because I'd always loved the game," he said. "But I stopped to assess it and asked myself: what's the length of a footballer's career? It turned out to be one of my more intelligent moves."

Sir Clive Woodward, meanwhile, apparently had his chance to try out for Everton snatched away when his dad made him move to a rugby school. "One in the eye for the 'he doesn't have a footballing background' brigade," chortles James Andrews.

La Paglia was a reserve keeper @ Adelaide City & West Adeliade in Australia's old National league some 20 yrs ago & still plays in goal even after a hip replacement for Hollywood Utd.

Only know as I seen him Interviewed on telly the other week or so.

Also Rod Stewart was he not on Spurs books as a kid?.

Bill 'Dixie' Dean!

Bill Dean - known as 'Dixie' - was another man who could easily claim to be the best player of his generation anywhere in the world. The pride of Everton FC (whose history is often overshadowed by their neighbours across the park, Liverpool). Probably the most significant thing about Dean was that he is the highest goal scorer in English League history with 60 goals in one season2. This is a record which has lasted over 70 years3. It's fair to say he was instrumental in Everton's title successes of the 1920s and 1930s, and was a good promoter of the club in his later years. He died at Goodison park in 1980 after an Everton v Liverpool Derby.

Billy got the nickname 'Dixie' from his dark skin and thick black curly hair, and unsurprisingly for the times - and considering the amount of racism still prevalent in the game today - it was not a nickname he cared for at all. In 1932, Everton were playing at Spurs in front of over 50,000 people in the old First Division. Everton won a throw in and Billy jogged over to take it. As he picked the ball up someone in the crowd shouted 'Wait 'till after the game, then we'll get you, you ni**er ba***rd!'.

This emanated from a large bank of fairly packed Spurs terracing. A nearby policeman was going to go into the crowd to arrest the man when Billy said 'No officer, I'll deal with this.' Billy then stepped into the Spurs crowd and knocked the man out with one punch. He emerged back onto the pitch to take the throw-in with a mighty roar of approval from the Spurs fans.

Eric Cantona eat your heart out!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A848621

Here are some more incredible statistics:

60 league goals in one season (1927-28) and 100 goals scored overall that year, including seven hat-tricks.

100 league goals scored before he was 21, 200 league goals in 199 games by the time he was 23.

349 league goals for Everton

37 hat-tricks in his career.

16 international caps, scoring 18 goals.

In the 1929/30 season, Dean scored in 12 successive league matches.

Highest scorer of goals in Merseyside Derby matches with 19.

He averaged 0.94 goals a game: 473 goals in 502 matches.

Bill Dean is the only English player ever known to walk off after a England v Scotland game to a standing ovation at Hampden - he was that good.

All this despite sustaining serious injuries from a motorcycle accident at the age of 19, only shortly after joining Everton.

Finally, at the height of his goalscoring, the marking was getting ridiculous. So much so that, so the legend goes, during one match Dixie ran off the field during play. His marker asked him where was he going and Bill replied 'For a pee. You coming or what?'.

Edited by java2001e

The lowest ever English Premier League attendance of 3,039 was at Wimbledon v Everton January 1993.

The first englishman to play abroad was Herbert Kilpin, who played in the second division before joining FC Torinese in 1891, then Mediolanum Milano from 1898 to 1900 and Milan from 1900-07. But Kilpin's defining moment came in a Tuscan wine shop in 1899 when, together with five colleagues from a Nottingham lace company, he founded the Milan Cricket and Football Club - now known as AC Milan. "We will wear red and black," said Kilpin. "Red to recall the devil, black to invoke fear."

Bill 'Dixie' Dean!

Bill Dean - known as 'Dixie' - was another man who could easily claim to be the best player of his generation anywhere in the world. The pride of Everton FC (whose history is often overshadowed by their neighbours across the park, Liverpool). Probably the most significant thing about Dean was that he is the highest goal scorer in English League history with 60 goals in one season2. This is a record which has lasted over 70 years3. It's fair to say he was instrumental in Everton's title successes of the 1920s and 1930s, and was a good promoter of the club in his later years. He died at Goodison park in 1980 after an Everton v Liverpool Derby.

Billy got the nickname 'Dixie' from his dark skin and thick black curly hair, and unsurprisingly for the times - and considering the amount of racism still prevalent in the game today - it was not a nickname he cared for at all. In 1932, Everton were playing at Spurs in front of over 50,000 people in the old First Division. Everton won a throw in and Billy jogged over to take it. As he picked the ball up someone in the crowd shouted 'Wait 'till after the game, then we'll get you, you ni**er ba***rd!'.

This emanated from a large bank of fairly packed Spurs terracing. A nearby policeman was going to go into the crowd to arrest the man when Billy said 'No officer, I'll deal with this.' Billy then stepped into the Spurs crowd and knocked the man out with one punch. He emerged back onto the pitch to take the throw-in with a mighty roar of approval from the Spurs fans.

Eric Cantona eat your heart out!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A848621

Here are some more incredible statistics:

60 league goals in one season (1927-28) and 100 goals scored overall that year, including seven hat-tricks.

100 league goals scored before he was 21, 200 league goals in 199 games by the time he was 23.

349 league goals for Everton

37 hat-tricks in his career.

16 international caps, scoring 18 goals.

In the 1929/30 season, Dean scored in 12 successive league matches.

Highest scorer of goals in Merseyside Derby matches with 19.

He averaged 0.94 goals a game: 473 goals in 502 matches.

Bill Dean is the only English player ever known to walk off after a England v Scotland game to a standing ovation at Hampden - he was that good.

All this despite sustaining serious injuries from a motorcycle accident at the age of 19, only shortly after joining Everton.

Finally, at the height of his goalscoring, the marking was getting ridiculous. So much so that, so the legend goes, during one match Dixie ran off the field during play. His marker asked him where was he going and Bill replied 'For a pee. You coming or what?'.

44953[/snapback]

:D thats what we like to see java keep it coming mate :D dixie dean is Everton and still is the mans a god to us blues ;) just like Labby ;)

celebrities whove had trials with professional clubs.

Ronnie O'Sullivan (Tottenham)

Boris Becker (Bayern Munich)

Craig Charles (Tranmere)

Mike Yarwood (Oldham)

Martin Kemp (Arsenal)

Daley Thompson (Mansfield)

Jimmy Tarbuck (Brighton)

Stan Boardman (Liverpool)

Leonard Rossiter (Everton)

Johnny Marr (Manchester City)

Simon Webbe (Stoke)

Charlie Williams (Doncaster)

Eddie Large (Manchester City)

Nicky Byrne (Leeds)

Anthony LaPaglia (Adelaide City)

Gavin Rossdale (Chelsea)

44263[/snapback]

add vinnie jones, he played full time for leeds and is now a movie star.

EDIT: i think robbie williams had a trail at port vale

Edited by Everton Lad

Prior to 1924 a goal could only be scored from a corner kick if another player made contact with the ball. In that year, the Football Association (FA) changed the laws of football so that a goal could be scored directly from a corner kick (without another player touching the ball). However, the wording of the new law was vague.

A Liverpool Echo sports journalist, Ernest Edwards, informed the Everton side of the lack of precision in the new rules. During a game against Tottenham Hotspur, Everton gained a corner kick that Chedgzoy took. Instead of crossing the ball in, he dribbled the ball into the penalty area and scored while the other players and referee looked on in shock - and then he successfully persuaded the referee that the rules permitted this way of scoring a goal.

After deliberation by the FA, it was decided that the goal was legal, and the law was amended making it clear that the player taking the corner could only strike the ball once before another player must make contact. This ensures that corner kicks cannot become corner dribbles, but also permits a goal to be scored direct from a corner.

(Copied from Wikipedia)

Quality

I knew it was someone :lol::lol: . However...

If the opera were suddenly outlawed or his voice suddenly disappeared, Domingo would likely still be in the public eye, still seeking a role that would bring him public adulation. He celebrated his birthday last year playing in an all-star soccer match in Vienna and, with the help of the professional players around him, scored seven goals.

"If I were not an opera singer I would be in sports right now, especially a soccer player, a goalkeeper or anything," he says. "My love for sports is very big, and if I had the time to dedicate I could be good."

...although that's Domingo rather than Pavarotti...all sound the bloody same to me. :P

Edited by mikeo

New addition for Trivia Buffs:

1st Player to put ball in 3rd Tier/With attepmted shot @ Goal - At Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium.....

.............................................." Don Juan Pablo Haaaangeeell..............................!!!

My next door neighbour popped round for a cuppa last night with an arm full of assorted old footie programmes and I found he has one from the 1966 FA cup final.

I read it from cover to cover and found a little snippet I would like to share with you all about Dixies 60th in that season

The Late Charles Buchan, making his league farewell in the same game used to tell me....."They said that we Gunners gave Dixie that goal because we didn't want to see him stop short on the 59 mark, we did no such thing. We tried everything we could to stop him. I never heard a louder roar than the one the Everton spectators put up that day as his third goal came"

Leslie Edwards (sports editor, Liverpool Echo)

I like that story.

ATB

Mac