IGNORED

Denis Law

Sadly, Denis Law is the latest footballer to be stricken by dementia.

I remember back in 1958, I was 22 and was introduced to Denis Law by Bill Shankly.  Denis Law was 17.  The introduction went as follows:  Bill Shankly 'let me introduce you to a future Scottish international'.  I shook hands with Bill Shankly then shook hands with the young blond lad stood next to him (who looked about 15).  The name 'Denis Law' that followed didn't mean anything to me at the time.  Bill Shankly was manager of Huddersfield Town and Denis Law was playing for Huddersfield.

4 hours ago, johnh said:

Sadly, Denis Law is the latest footballer to be stricken by dementia.

I remember back in 1958, I was 22 and was introduced to Denis Law by Bill Shankly.  Denis Law was 17.  The introduction went as follows:  Bill Shankly 'let me introduce you to a future Scottish international'.  I shook hands with Bill Shankly then shook hands with the young blond lad stood next to him (who looked about 15).  The name 'Denis Law' that followed didn't mean anything to me at the time.  Bill Shankly was manager of Huddersfield Town and Denis Law was playing for Huddersfield.

Great story John another look into a life full of special moments. And I don’t mean Shankly or Law, although I wish Dennis all the best of luck for the future and hope he still has many good years in front of him, he was a special talent. 

18 hours ago, Palfy said:

Great story John another look into a life full of special moments. And I don’t mean Shankly or Law, although I wish Dennis all the best of luck for the future and hope he still has many good years in front of him, he was a special talent. 

Thanks Palfy.  That all happened after a match against a Huddersfield Town eleven. First time I had ever played under floodlights. The team I played for was a representative team but I can't remember which team it was.  I think it was either: West Riding County or Leeds & District FA.  I remember that we lost but can't remember the score. I was appointed captain, though only because I was centre-half and they always made the centre-half captain in representative matches.  After the game and shower, I went into a large room where a buffet was laid on.  I saw one of our officials talking to Bill Shankly and when he spotted me he called me over and introduced me as 'our captain'.

I have been very fortunate with my many special moments.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Thanks Palfy.  That all happened after a match against a Huddersfield Town eleven. First time I had ever played under floodlights. The team I played for was a representative team but I can't remember which team it was.  I think it was either: West Riding County or Leeds & District FA.  I remember that we lost but can't remember the score. I was appointed captain, though only because I was centre-half and they always made the centre-half captain in representative matches.  After the game and shower, I went into a large room where a buffet was laid on.  I saw one of our officials talking to Bill Shankly and when he spotted me he called me over and introduced me as 'our captain'.

I have been very fortunate with my many special moments.

You have mate all deserved I’m sure, and I for one never get tired of reading them 👍