IGNORED

Quote Of The Day

Ian

i wasnt trying to show u up, just not that many ppl know it .

It took you til you were 17 to find it out? :huh:

What I found out today is that to kill a swan is illegal. Why? Because all swans belong to the reigning monarch. A pointless thing to know, but there you go.

Edited by Romey 1878

It took you til you were 17 to find it out? :huh:

What I found out today is that to kill a swan is illegal. Why? Because all swans belong to the reigning monarch. A pointless thing to know, but there you go.

Did you only just find that out Mike? :D

A bit of useful knowledge that i found out in R.E class a few years ago.

When a word Ends in a 'S' like Russ, and say your typing a sentence like "i Hate Russ's scarf" that is incorrest its actually should be " i Hate Russ' Scarf"

May not be too helpful Jacko but your teacher was wrong :o .

Can be either way, simple example but there are zillions of others.

Newcastle play at St James' Park but the park in London is called St James's.

And I quite like Russ's scarf anyway :) .

(I like "Avoid cliches like the plague")

If it ends in double ss its wrong, st james is only single s, if it was st jamess it would be wrong to say st jamess's

Doesn't make any difference Bill.

I'm going to watch Jonathan Ross' programme on TV tonight is wrong. Doesn't make sense if you say it.

I'm going (not really) to watch Jonathan Ross's programme on TV tonight is correct.

Doesn't make any difference Bill.

I'm going to watch Jonathan Ross' programme on TV tonight is wrong. Doesn't make sense if you say it.

I'm going (not really) to watch Jonathan Ross's programme on TV tonight is correct.

You say it as Jonathan Ross's but to be gramatically correct you write it as Jonathan Ross' show.

Exactly, thats where the grammar comes in.

The original statement that jacko made about <it being russ's scarf> was grammaticly wrong.

You would in fact say <this scarf belongs to Russ>

Or < i'm going to watch THE Jonathon Ross show>

Or < i'm going to watch the show hosted by Jonathon Ross >

Grey areas maybe but the single/double s is irrelevant, the same rule applies..

Most respected sources require that practically all singular nouns, including those ending with a sibilant sound, have possessive forms with an extra s after the apostrophe. Examples include the Modern Language Association, The Elements of Style, and The Economist. Such sources would demand possessive singulars like these: Senator Jones's umbrella; Mephistopheles's cat. Rules that modify or extend this principle have included the following:

If the singular possessive is difficult or awkward to pronounce with an added sibilant, do not add an extra s; these exceptions are supported by The Guardian, Emory University's writing center, and The American Heritage Book of English Usage. Such sources permit possessive singulars like these: Socrates' later suggestion; James's house, or James' house, depending on which pronunciation is intended.

Classical, biblical, and similar names ending in a sibilant, especially if they are polysyllabic, do not take an added s in the possessive; among sources giving exceptions of this kind are The Times and The Elements of Style, which make general stipulations, and Vanderbilt University, which mentions only Moses and Jesus. As a particular case, Jesus' is very commonly written instead of Jesus's, even by people who would otherwise add 's in, for example, James's or Chris's; Jesus' is referred to as "an accepted liturgical archaism" in Hart's Rules.

My point was that Jacko's teacher wasn't correct, or at least the example he gave wasn't correct. All grammatical rules in English have exceptions anyway....that's why it's such a bastard language to learn :lol: .

I think everbody's right...or should that be everybodies right, or everybodys' right.

One should NEVER generalize. :lol::lol:

I cant see one example of a double ss, having another s added, all those examples Jesus or jesus's James or james's chris or chris's all have a single s Its bad grammar to add another s to a word ending in double s.

Nowhere in that article does it say you can, or should. In fact it tells you "do not add an extra s"

Sorry Mike you'll have to search the net some more to convince me. :D

Equally you'll find nowhere on the net where it suggests that a double s is treated any differently to any other sibilant word ending. You can't suggest something is true because you can't find someone saying that it's not.

I could say that all Zebra's speak fluent Polish and you'd not be able to find proof on the net that it's not true.

You'll have to search the net some more to convince me :D .

Anthony Burgess is the pen name of the polymath who was born John Burgess Wilson in Manchester, England on 25 February, 1917 to a Catholic family of Irish and Scottish ancestry. His mother, Elizabeth Burgess Wilson, and his only sister, Muriel, died in the influenza epidemic the following year, and the loss of his mother had a profound effect upon Burgess's life and work....

I’ve had a great time on They Think It's All Over, imparting my vast sporting knowledge to the nation, but I need time now to focus on my other commitments and so regrettably I won't be back for the 20th series. It's a fantastic show and from now on I'll be able to actually watch it. ”

However, after Ross's departure, only two more episodes of the show were made before it was cancelled

Or sometimes...

Supergrass' profile began to rise quickly, helped along by praise from their more experienced Britpop peers Blur and Elastica

Edited by MikeO

DONT KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THOSE MIKE WAS IT THE SUN NEWSPAPER. ??

This is your homework Pat, rewrite the first one so it grammaticly correct, I've done the 2nd.

1..the loss of his mother had a profound effect upon Burgess's life and work....X

2..However, after Ross's departure, only two more episodes of the show were made before it was cancelled....X

2..However, after Ross had departed, only two more bla bla bla...............................