IGNORED

Premier Games Overseas

The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

It is unlikely any decision will be taken before the Premier League's annual summer meeting in June, but any changes could come into effect for the 2010/11 season.

Points from those extra games would count towards the league table.

Should the proposal get the go-ahead, cities in Asia, Middle East and North America are likely to show a strong interest in hosting the extra games.

It is believed each venue would host two matches over a weekend.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the Premier League's decision to explore such a move is a "logical" one.

"The growth of the Premier League has been impressive in the last 15 years thanks to the sale of television rights in this country," he said.

"But now the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated and it is the overseas market which is now the big target area."

The Premier League's income from the sale of overseas TV rights has already increased from £178m in 2001 to £625m for the current deal that runs until 2010.

Broadcaster NowTV paid around £100m for the rights to Hong Kong alone.

Premier League games are broadcast to over 600m homes in 202 countries worldwide, while an estimated 1bn people watched the Premier League game between Manchester United and Arsenal in November 2007.

A number of top-flight clubs already play matches around the world as they seek to capitalise on the huge global interest in the English game.

Manchester United are regular visitors to Asia, Middle East and America while other clubs are beginning to follow their lead.

"This is a chance for the Premier League to showcase its product around the world," added Bose.

"Some fans may feel aggrieved, but their concerns will be outweighed by the financial advantages for the clubs.

"Clubs will see this as a chance to make more money so they can invest in new facilities and better players."

There is likely to be a big scramble for the right to host the extra games.

"It will be like cities bidding for the Olympic Games or the World Cup," explained Bose.

The Premier League's proposal mirrors moves in other sports, notably American Football.

Miami Dolphins and New York Giants met at Wembley in October, the first competitive NFL game outside the Americas.

im sure loadz of country will be fighting to get the Fulham Vs Derby game!!

That's why they'll be sold off as a two game package with the top five clubs seeded. Five venues with two games each means everyone gets one of the big clubs.

So if Iraq win the bidding for Man Utd Vs Chelsea will they let them play their?????????

Theoretically yes but they won't win the bidding. Player safety might just be a small consideration in the process :rolleyes: .

Everton in Oz might go down well.

Not a fan of this at all.

Lets say it was going to happen this season. With 38 games gone we are two points above are closet rivals for fourth, Blackburn. (:D)

This 'random draw' was made and we got Arsenal with Blackburn facing the pub team known as Derby.

Its just a way to line the pockets of the FA and the chairmens IMO.

Edited by Ian

What about the fans who travel to every game just another cost for the loyal fan.

That as well Liam, for me its just a greedy scheme set up, although financially it will help the club, all the other clubs with benefit as well, leaving us all in the same position as before. It could be the difference between a champions league spot and mediocrity as i mentioned in the earlier post.

Greedy plan that doesnt give a second thought to football fans.

This 'random draw' was made and we got Arsenal with Blackburn facing the pub team known as Derby.

Take your point Ian (welcome by the way...nip over to introductions and tell us a bit about yourself ;) ) but as one of the "big five (ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton and Villa)" we'd be seeded so it wouldn't affect us. Could be rough on some of the smaller teams though B) .

a ridiculous idea -- the pre-season friendlies in other countries offers enough exposure to foreign markets...in south africa we've had man utd, spurs and liverpool in recent years -- yes they play 2nd/3rd string teams but they still pull in decent crowds.

trying to introduce a 39th "drawn out of pot" game into the season? wtf!?!

yes it's good for the smaller sides to get offshore exposure and proceeds from tv payments, but as someone else said if ALL clubs are getting similar exposure the gulf between small and big won't change at all. furthermore, is watching derby, fulham or wigan once or twice really going to create new fans???

this is all about the cash and is a horrible reminder of how the ICC have f*cked up world cricket, possibly beyond repair, just to make the fat cats fatter.

Stupis, stupid & did I mention I think it's a stupid idea.

I for 1 would love to see the Blues downunder, however needing 3 pts to qual for Europe last match or to stay up @ worse case scenario, switching the seasons final game to Sydney, Bangkok, Hong Kong or Singapore is just stooooopid.

Yaah lets make the seasons end interesting by playing the last round on the Equator...Fuzzy fuzzzy logic.

Bored arsehole at the prem come up with another ridiculous idea. I can see it now us and the shite neck and neck after 38 games and they get drawn Fulham and we get the arse. How fair's that? Piss take.

As said before WE are the proper loyal fans who pay. Most cant afford to jump on a plane and piss off to timbuktu. Leave the yanks with their sawker and basketball.

It looks like it will happen at some stage , I just wonder if we are to play a home game in say America or Australia would Season Ticket holders still be expected to buy another ticket , after all it would be considered a home game. And would the club subsidise travel ?

We all know a lot of clubs dont give a toss about the fans , especially the top teams who know they will sell out every game , but it could be a real tester for the likes of the lower based teams.

Some healthy scepticism from DM...

"“My first feeling when I heard it was that it was a load of nonsense. Since then I have started to take it in and there is a big fanbase out there.

"There's no doubt it's about money but that is what brings players to our country."

The Goodison chief queried whether playing a team three times over a season was conducive to fair competition.

"I am not comfortable with the format where you play a team three times," he declared,

"I think that doesn't make the league correct. That is the bit that I don't think has been thought out too cleverly."

"I don't know where there is a two week period in the calendar where there isn't a midweek game or cup games, if there is, I think we would have been exploiting them somewhere else.

"If you are a successful club you don't have that free time."

But if these kinks could be ironed out, Moyes could well be behind the idea, especially if an appetite for the game around the globe can be proven.

"But the idea is worth looking into to see if it will work,” he added. “I think we need a lot more information.

"Would the games definitely sell-out? I can see it in Asia but we have been to America quite a lot - would they sell-out?

"I don't know if Africa is being talked about but would the pitches be good enough there?"

I think its a good idea but i dont no what the hell the 39th game is all about. They should do it like this:

When the fixtures get released who ever you get on (such and such a day, 19th January for example) then thats who you are playing abroad.

Having 3 games against 1 club isnt fair, whilst with this you have 2 games as normal and 1 is played abroad.

But then the concern would be that you have a home/road imbalance - half the league would have 18 home games, and half would have 19.

Fairer might be to do it more like a "mini-tournament" style, where four teams travel to the same general area and stay there for a week or whatever, and play a pair of doubleheaders. For instance, let's use this as a hypothetical scenario.

1. Four teams - let's say Arsenal, Blackburn, Boro, and Wigan - are assigned to travel to the "Pacific Northwest" region.

2. On Saturday they play a doubleheader in Seattle: Arsenal-Boro at 1 pm and Blackburn-Wigan at 4 pm (local time, of course). Fans can buy a single-game ticket or a double pass that gets them into both games.

3. The teams then get a few days off to train and sightsee and whatever.

4. On Wednesday they play another doubleheader in Vancouver, Canada: Boro-Blackburn at 5 pm and Wigan-Arsenal at 8 pm.

5. Then they go home.

If they did it that way, then each team could be credited with both a "home" game and a "road" game, so it would even out, and teams wouldn't be jetting all the way to God knows where just to play one game and fly right back again. Something like that might be at least worth discussing, but I agree that creating one extra randomly drawn game and tacking it onto the schedule like they're talking about right now makes absolutely no sense.

Imagine at the end of the season that Arsenal and Manure are seperated by goal difference only and United have lost the league Title because.....

A.............. Arsenal drew Derby and have played them 3 times = 9 Points

B...............Manure drew Red.S because they where 6th in the league when it was drawn 2 wins and a draw =7 Points

You can just imagine the Screaming and complaining coming from Old Trafford,

This is wrong before it starts, and if it goes ahead how long will it be before we have a play off among the top ten teams for the League Title, like they do in Rugby League.

Its all about more money and greed, But the ones who are all for it now will be the ones crying against it when it goes tits up.

Football as we once knew it is dying.

What a Fecking liberty ( as that women on the tate show would say)

Just another greed motivated plan

But, suppose thats the world we live in. I can see this deffo happening in 3 years now

what a cock scudamore is, it was suppose to be a secret while they checked it out

We have the richest, best, most watched league in the world and they just want more

The average joe who goes the game will be even more fucked in a couple of years

There's an interview with Keith Wyness about this at http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=10195 from yesterday. He comes across a money grabber :\

Excellent column by Jon Carter on this issue. Two particular points he raises that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet, with the talk being more about how this might affect the title chase:

"With the fact that the 'Top Four' sides are supported in droves across the world meaning that it would be more like a home fixture for the League's elite, there is no way that you could ensure a fair outcome for each side. So often are key places in the league table decided by a single point that giving away a precious three for the victor in this circus would have clubs up in arms if their season was disrupted. £5million from a trip to Asia is scant consolation if your side loses £30million having been relegated as a result of drawing Manchester United or Arsenal out of the hat."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...and&cc=5901

Well this could end up becoming a dead letter regardless of what Scudamore and his 20 team owners want.

The Australian Federation has come out and said that they're not interested because they're worried that it would harm the development of their own A-League (which is still in its infancy and probably doesn't need the local fans being reminded of how much higher the EPL's quality of play is)

Likewise, the President of the AFC (Asia's governing body) has said that he recommends "rejecting initiatives of this nature," and that he would "urge the AFC member associations to protect their own national leagues and clubs within their territories."

The vice-president of the Japanese FA said flat-out, "We are, in principle, opposed to having their games in Japan as we have to protect our league and clubs. I don’t think we will change our minds."

The Korean Federation also said that they will not consider hosting Premiership matches unless and until FIFA approves the plan, and even then they would have to think long and hard about whether it would benefit the K-League before they'd agree to it.

CONCACAF has a rule against matches from other federations being played within its own territory but expressed a willingness to negotiate with the EPL on that point, so unlike the AFC they aren't totally dismissing the idea.

But the President of the US Soccer Federation says they aren't going to go against FIFA's wishes on this, also adding "there are some issues that we have got which would cause us to be very hesitant." Meanwhile MLS has similarly said that it's "intriguing" and they'd "want to be involved" if it happens, but again if and only if FIFA approves the proposal.

If a Premier League game is scheduled to play overseas and no country wants to host it, does it still count in the standings?

it's a ridiculous idea....for a few reasons

this is the english premier league....key word in there being english.

it's blatenly money driven.

it would make us look like a joke on the football scene, why does the supposed best league in the world want to do this and make us like some american sport.

39 games... i think the most valid argument of all....so we have to play someone 3 times? that could make a massive difference if someone like fulham has to play man utd 3 times, it isn't fair. it takes away the fairness and equality of the premier league, you play each team on your turf and theirs so there is equal opportunity. an extra game would, no doubt at all, cost teams league placings and qualifications or even league status, it just isn't a good and fair idea.

i'd be disgusted if this happened.

Edited by CraccerC