IGNORED

Chelsea (home)

Bill

Howard - Dependable

Hibbert - Useless sack of shit. Head the ball and stop letting it bounce you thick twit. Oh and don't back off attackers.

Yobo - Liability. Never learns from his bastard mistakes.

Jagielka - Should be first choice alongside Lescott every week. He is the king of the last ditch tackle. Yes he hoofed it a lot but who the hell is he supposed to pass to when the midfield infront of him are RUNNING AWAY!!!!!!!

Lescott - Back to his best last night.

Pienaar - No fucking idea why he took peanuts off, I thought he played well.

Carsley - Please do not renew his contract, past it.

Neville - When Neville is one of your better players you know youve played shite. The only player who showed any heart or determination or any will to win the ball.

Fernandes - Same old mistakes but our best midfielder and our best attacking player.

Yakubu - End of season lethargy as we'd been warned about. Doesn't look arsed.

Johnson - Fuck all to work with due to the ineffectiveness of our midfield I felt.

Anichebe - Ran about at first but then became a waste of space.

Gravesen - GO HOME.

I clapped when Chelsea scored as it was what we deserved in that first half. The same points need to be made as they do every week: -

Don't back off the opposition

Start closing down the space

Tackle for crying out loud

Show some composure on the ball

I'm so fucking annoyed with the team atm because they're playing like they don't give a shit when the fans pay the money to go and watch them week in week out. Sort it out.

Personally think we need a dose of realism here, we played a Chelsea team far superior to us and we had loads of injuries and players on the pitch carrying knocks, yet we ran them close and limited them to one shot on goal. If, when you saw the respective team line-ups, you thought we may possibly win the game then you must be deluded. The best we could hope for was to somehow claw a draw out of the game and we nearly did, I wasn't disappointed with Thursday night at all, except for the result - the players gave their all, for the first time in weeks. Oh, and how Yobo is a liability is beyond me, he's been our best player for months and the reason he doesn't have to make last ditch tackles every 5 minutes like Jags is because a: he's a lot quicker and b: he's better positioned. We have the best defensive record in the league in 2008. Yobo, apart from one crazy run (when trying to get us a goal) where he got tackled and nearly cost us a goal was faultless, again. Once again people slag Carsley, yet - I repeat - we have the best defensive record in the league in 2008, that is Carsley's job, NOT to create goals. Don't blame him for our lack of results, blame the attacking players. Since Cahill got injured and Fernandez came in we can hardly buy a goal. That being said, he does need to be replaced by a younger model in the Summer, but somehow blaming him for our current malaise when he never gives less than 100% and has done his defensive job excellently is just stupid. HE'S A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally think we need a dose of realism here, we played a Chelsea team far superior to us and we had loads of injuries and players on the pitch carrying knocks, yet we ran them close and limited them to one shot on goal. If, when you saw the respective team line-ups, you thought we may possibly win the game then you must be deluded. The best we could hope for was to somehow claw a draw out of the game and we nearly did, I wasn't disappointed with Thursday night at all, except for the result - the players gave their all, for the first time in weeks. Oh, and how Yobo is a liability is beyond me, he's been our best player for months and the reason he doesn't have to make last ditch tackles every 5 minutes like Jags is because a: he's a lot quicker and b: he's better positioned. We have the best defensive record in the league in 2008. Yobo, apart from one crazy run (when trying to get us a goal) where he got tackled and nearly cost us a goal was faultless, again. Once again people slag Carsley, yet - I repeat - we have the best defensive record in the league in 2008, that is Carsley's job, NOT to create goals. Don't blame him for our lack of results, blame the attacking players. Since Cahill got injured and Fernandez came in we can hardly buy a goal. That being said, he does need to be replaced by a younger model in the Summer, but somehow blaming him for our current malaise when he never gives less than 100% and has done his defensive job excellently is just stupid. HE'S A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER.

Tell me where I've said we could have won please.

I'm not disappointed with losing because I thought that's exactly what would happen, it's the performance that matters. It may have been better than it has been in weeks but it wasn't good enough and I'm not going to do the hula for a substandard performance.

Also tell me where I've said Carsley is to blame for us playing shit atm. He can give 100% all he likes but he's still not good enough. He pushes forward far too much and then leaves the defence exposed because he hasn't got the legs to get back. As a defensive midfielder would you agree they're actually supposed to tackle or go towards the ball? Carsley is one of the worst in our team for backing off. You can be happy with 100% of averageness but I'd like better - Nil Satis Nisi Optimum and all that. He shouldn't be in our starting 11 unless we're desperate next season.

You have your opinion and I have mine, let's leave it at that because I've seen people get into 'discussions' with you and it's a game of who can repeat themselves the most.

btw you know that shot from obi mikel just after the goal, it destroyed the seat immediately behind me, apart from that there wasnt much to talk about. though i found where the number tag landed and its now a memento. nice to see the harlem globetrotters, bit of a coup that was.

regarding fernandes, people saying he was shite and losing the ball, i'm with the other lot who say along with pienaar he was our best midfielder if not best player, he was always there to get the ball and play the pass, a lot of the time when he lost the ball he got was a hospital pass so he had no chance of avoiding losing the ball (bet if you watch a full rerun you'll see i'm right)

btw you know that shot from obi mikel just after the goal, it destroyed the seat immediately behind me, apart from that there wasnt much to talk about. though i found where the number tag landed and its now a memento. nice to see the harlem globetrotters, bit of a coup that was.

regarding fernandes, people saying he was shite and losing the ball, i'm with the other lot who say along with pienaar he was our best midfielder if not best player, he was always there to get the ball and play the pass, a lot of the time when he lost the ball he got was a hospital pass so he had no chance of avoiding losing the ball (bet if you watch a full rerun you'll see i'm right)

Thats not difficult when all you've got in midfield is Carsley and Neville. :) tho i've already said he looked a bit better in that game.

I agree with everything you said in that post.

as the game went beyond us everyone got slightly shy to the ball where as fernandes was droping deep with his back to the defender to receive the ball he turned and drove on a few times succsesfully but the few times he messed up were due to appauling passes by some of the other players.

Sometimes its difficult for players like fernandes pienaar, arteta as the style of football they play they need players to be on the pitch with players on there own wave lenth as me seen with fernandes arteta last year and earlyer this year arteta and pienarr.

they like to look for each other with the quick 1 & 2 passes and i really sympathise for the guys when they get icolated from each other and this leads to them attempting the same flaire but with players like carsley nevile and hibbert around them resulting in loss of possesion more often than not.

would also like to add i will be very angry if against villa arteta comes back in and tries to take the free kicks of fernandes.

Tell me where I've said we could have won please.

I'm not disappointed with losing because I thought that's exactly what would happen, it's the performance that matters. It may have been better than it has been in weeks but it wasn't good enough and I'm not going to do the hula for a substandard performance.

Also tell me where I've said Carsley is to blame for us playing shit atm. He can give 100% all he likes but he's still not good enough. He pushes forward far too much and then leaves the defence exposed because he hasn't got the legs to get back. As a defensive midfielder would you agree they're actually supposed to tackle or go towards the ball? Carsley is one of the worst in our team for backing off. You can be happy with 100% of averageness but I'd like better - Nil Satis Nisi Optimum and all that. He shouldn't be in our starting 11 unless we're desperate next season.

You have your opinion and I have mine, let's leave it at that because I've seen people get into 'discussions' with you and it's a game of who can repeat themselves the most.

All I can say is if Carsley is so bad at protecting the defence and keeps leaving it exposed (along with Yobo the 'liability') then how come we have the 4th best defensive record in the league and the best defensive record in 2008? your criticism of Carsley does not add up. We all know he isn't a good passer and can't create a tap, but that's not his job so criticising him is totally unwarranted. If we were letting in goals all over the shop then fair enough, but we're not. Basically you don't like him and have it in for him, so you use any excuse to have a go.

Carl will you stop trying to defend Carsley he isnt good enough for us anymore, were not a midtable side anymore were challenging for europan football, you need players who can actually pass to the other midfielders and he can't half the time.

would also like to add i will be very angry if against villa arteta comes back in and tries to take the free kicks of fernandes.

Agreed

Edited by Blue4Ever

This game showed that we need to buy big in the summer and get rid of shite like Hibbert, Carsley, Neville.

There is clearly a big gulf in class between the top four and the teams below and I think getting beat at home by all the top four shows that we arn't good enough yet.

Arteta will walk back into being the free kick tacker but I hope he won't. Manuel's Free Kicks caused more trouble than Arteta's have ever done (apart from when he actually scores which is rare).

Has Arteta scored a free kick scince that one against Villereal?

Edited by Josh Berno