IGNORED

Chelsea (home)

Bill

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnsley beat this team, and Wigan just held them to a draw. Even with all our injured players out, we still put more talent on the field than both of those clubs. Ergo, there's no reason to think we can't come out of this with a point or three, as long as we come out with energy and play our a$$e$ off for 90 minutes like those two teams did. If we come out slow and lethargic again and let them dictate the play, then we'll get pounded and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.

We are in total agreement, Adam. I wasn't saying we should expect to do well because those other two did - in fact, that would be totally the opposite of the attitude we need, and if the players take that attitude we're headed for disaster. My point was that Chelsea is beatable, but we need to take a page from those other teams' books and outwork, outhustle, and outphysical them all over the pitch, and commit to making the effort to do that for the full 90 minutes. Something we have not been doing against anyone for almost a month now.

We are in total agreement, Adam. I wasn't saying we should expect to do well because those other two did - in fact, that would be totally the opposite of the attitude we need, and if the players take that attitude we're headed for disaster. My point was that Chelsea is beatable, but we need to take a page from those other teams' books and outwork, outhustle, and outphysical them all over the pitch, and commit to making the effort to do that for the full 90 minutes. Something we have not been doing against anyone for almost a month now.

Sorry JD i read your post far too quickly the first time

Our record agains't Chelsea has been good in general over the last two or three seasons. I think this will give the team confidence. We are a good match for them physically, Yobo, Lescott or Jags are adequately built to cope with Drogba. Chelsea aren't as affective agains't us as they are agains't other teams. I imagine it to be a dead lock with few goals.

Looks like Dogbone won't be in the squad.

That would be a bonus, and this could be another...

England midfielder Frank Lampard may also miss Thursday's trip to Merseyside to take on David Moyes' men because his mother has been admitted to hospital with pneumonia.

(without wishing any harm on Mrs Lampard, I've had pneumonia and it's no joke!)

They're likely without Drogs and Lampard. We're likely without Osman and Arteta.

Unfortunately for us they have a little more depth in the squad. By all accounts there will be some clearout at Chelsea over the summer and you just get the feeling that one or two of their players aren't fully committed. On the other side of the coin we are looking to build on from our team and we've got a couple of boys with a point or two to prove. If we can get out there and put it to them for the first 25 I think we might just be able to break them down a bit. The midfield is going to be a battle ground and we'll need Cars and Manny to battle and grind. Would really like to see Baines on the left for this one, maybe lock up on J. Cole and push him back.

2-1 Us.

dunno how anyone can tip us for a win given our recent form. yes they've hardly been great but far more chance of them turning things around than us at present.

having said that, trekking all the way to liverpool on a thursday night is hardly the sort of thing that will inspire them.

at best --- 1-1 (yakubu)

Yobo in for Baines, otherwise unchanged from Brum.

Glad to see Joey back, but we needed Ossie or Mikel imo.

Mammoth effort needed to get anything out of this now.

Petr Cech, Paulo Ferreira, Ricardo Carvalho, John Terry ©, Ashley Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips, John Mikel Obi, Michael Essien, Joe Cole, Nicolas Anelka, Salomon Kalou for Chelski, no Lampard or Drogba but SWP always seems to put in a performance against us, hopefully not tonight.

Edited by MikeO