IGNORED

Michael Owen

Its his wages that would be the killer. The barcodes have already spent 16m on wages on him, crazy money.

I don't really rate him anymore though, think we should be looking forward and could do alot better with the money we would spend. Even if he came on a free the wages he would want would really fuck up the wage structure at the club

He's worth £50million (personally, not as a player) so might be willing to take a severe wage reduction and Moyes was interested when he was at Madrid and I don't think he would get wages that high again anywhere, granted he's not the player he was but he has almost 89 caps and 40 goals and is still an international player. He's 28, his family still live near Chester.. I think he'd be interested to be honest.

Daily Mail...

Michael Owen will look for another club if Newcastle United try to slash his wages by £2million a year.

Kevin Keegan is desperate for the board to secure the services of his skipper and star striker on a long-term contract.

But more than six weeks after negotiations were supposed to start, Owen's representatives are still waiting for a first proper meeting.

Any move to cut Owen's current salary of £120,000 a week to nearer £80,000 could end his three-year stint at St James' Park.

Everton would be interested in exploring the possibility of luring the former Liverpool star back to Merseyside. It was the team he supported as a boy and where his father Terry once played. Given the opportunity to play for the right club, Owen would probably take a pay cut.

Everton could interest Owen. They are moving in the right direction under David Moyes, who is looking for financial backing to challenge for a top-four place before committing his future to the club.

If Moyes remains, Owen could find the chance to play European football for one of the finest young managers in the game more attractive than staying at a club who no longer value him as much as they once did.

He's worth £50million (personally, not as a player) so might be willing to take a severe wage reduction and Moyes was interested when he was at Madrid and I don't think he would get wages that high again anywhere, granted he's not the player he was but he has almost 89 caps and 40 goals and is still an international player. He's 28, his family still live near Chester.. I think he'd be interested to be honest.

Just down the road from me (kind of) and his kids are at the school where my wife is a teacher :D

This move just shows how our transfer targets are awaying from £1m Championship players to goal scoring internationals. TBH I don't want Owen but the prospect of Owen playing alongside Yakubu every week is very pleasing.

im not sure if this would be a good thing or a bad thing ?

if we get Owen and sell AJ then it can only be a good thing, Owen is exactly the same type of player as AJ, except better in every department (particularly finishing, anticipation and being in the right place at the right time). The only negatives are his injury problems. He is a former European player of the year and will score goals in any team if he's fit. Would be a fantastic signing at the right price.

not the kind of gamble we should take from an injury perspective - had he not had such problems over the years he'd be way out of our league...

still we do need someone new upfront, don't believe there's any point giving aj another season - would only prove further that he's not good enough. let's sell him to west brom for 6 mil and offload anichebe to stoke for 4 - almost gets us to the stage where we could then buy crouch

where did this west brom and stoke rubbish come from?

no manager with a clue would pay £4m for victor.

AJ still managed 10 goals this season when he hasn't played as often as would be expected. id only want to sell him if there was a profit to be made.

he had a good season in his first year, then has a relatively poor one in his second season when he isnt even first choice anymore, now everone wants rid!

do you want rid of cahill due to his foot problem? arteta because for most of this season hes been out done by pienaar and osman, even manny in his last 3 games looked better than arteta has all year.

and one last thing, victor will never be half the player AJ is. dont want to keep knocking the kid, but his attitude stinks, the yak shows more of a work rate than that lazy overrated........... i'll stop there

AJ still managed 10 goals this season when he hasn't played as often as would be expected. id only want to sell him if there was a profit to be made.

he had a good season in his first year, then has a relatively poor one in his second season when he isnt even first choice anymore, now everone wants rid!

do you want rid of cahill due to his foot problem? arteta because for most of this season hes been out done by pienaar and osman, even manny in his last 3 games looked better than arteta has all year.

and one last thing, victor will never be half the player AJ is. dont want to keep knocking the kid, but his attitude stinks, the yak shows more of a work rate than that lazy overrated........... i'll stop there

I think it would be more accurate to say AJ had a good first 10 games in his first season, then has gone downhill ever since. He only scored about 12 goals or something in his first season and 10 this time (in 40 odd games - only 10 of which were as sub, during which he probably scored most of his goals anyway) which is a poor return on a £9m investment. In his whole Everton career he has scored 22 goals in 70+ games - not good enough.

He looked great for 10 games, but ever since he's been disappointing and now that Everton are getting better and better we have no room for average Joes with little ability except for workrate. We can all recognise service isn't great, but it's a two way street - midfielders need the striker to make the correct run to pick him out, strikers need to be in the right place to score tap ins, AJ never is. Yakubu gets the same service and he gets 21 goals, plus his all round link up play and contribution to our attacking play is on a totally different level to AJ. The Daily Post and the Everton fan in the Daily Mail both picked out AJ as Everton's biggest disappointment this season, he's been poor and I've said for some time we should sell him as his value keeps going down by the month. We need someone with height or guile to play with Yakubu and if we want a proven, pacy goalscorer then get Owen. Sell AJ before his value plummets further.

I think it would be more accurate to say AJ had a good first 10 games in his first season, then has gone downhill ever since. He only scored about 12 goals or something in his first season and 10 this time (in 40 odd games - only 10 of which were as sub, during which he probably scored most of his goals anyway) which is a poor return on a £9m investment. In his whole Everton career he has scored 22 goals in 70+ games - not good enough.

He looked great for 10 games, but ever since he's been disappointing and now that Everton are getting better and better we have no room for average Joes with little ability except for workrate. We can all recognise service isn't great, but it's a two way street - midfielders need the striker to make the correct run to pick him out, strikers need to be in the right place to score tap ins, AJ never is. Yakubu gets the same service and he gets 21 goals, plus his all round link up play and contribution to our attacking play is on a totally different level to AJ. The Daily Post and the Everton fan in the Daily Mail both picked out AJ as Everton's biggest disappointment this season, he's been poor and I've said for some time we should sell him as his value keeps going down by the month. We need someone with height or guile to play with Yakubu and if we want a proven, pacy goalscorer then get Owen. Sell AJ before his value plummets further.

Not two things id ever ever expect to see in the same sentance

Not two things id ever ever expect to see in the same sentance

the point was that Yak and AJ can't play together, they don't compliment each other - I doubt Yak and Owen would either but at least Owen would make better runs so Yakubu could slot him in more. What I was saying is that we need someone with height or guile to play with Yakubu, but if you want someone as back-up to Yak (which AJ currently is) then get Owen as he does everything AJ can do but a lot more effectively.

the west brom/stoke comment is what I'd like to happen, not saying there's anything to suggest it will. but often the promoted clubs know they have to spend some cash -- therefore making noise that some of our guys can go could get their attention; don't see other prem clubs getting too excited about aj and definitely not anichebe.

agree with your point about 4 mil for victor, but that's my point too!!! --> maybe a side like stoke or one of the others coming up (probably hull or bristol city) would see him as their "premier-league experience big summer signing" and pay over the top.

come on steve, he isnt that bad, he's only a kid and has years to develop into a decent player.

i'll give him his due in the european games he came on and scored some important goals.

but have you honestly seen him produce anything against premiership opposition?

for all his strength he is constantly going down, he does not chase down defenders, he should have had at least one goal against newcastle and frankly his composure and first touch do not exist, and that was against a shambles of a defence. when he gets the ball played to him in the air he complains, yet he can not control the ball when its played to him on the floor.

he may be young and still learning, but we all know if vaughan had been fit victor would have barely got a contract

i'll give him his due in the european games he came on and scored some important goals.

but have you honestly seen him produce anything against premiership opposition?

for all his strength he is constantly going down, he does not chase down defenders, he should have had at least one goal against newcastle and frankly his composure and first touch do not exist, and that was against a shambles of a defence. when he gets the ball played to him in the air he complains, yet he can not control the ball when its played to him on the floor.

he may be young and still learning, but we all know if vaughan had been fit victor would have barely got a contract

I Know his touch isnt good enough but if he can work on that he could become a good player or make us some money at least. Vaughan is alot better I know that, I can't wait to see him and the yak upfront together next season.

I think we can learn from the mcfadden incident, we were all up for him being shipped out but then when injuries struck we all rued the sale. Think he desreves at least 1 more year even just to make up numbers. Vaughn and aj dont have best fitness record

I definitely think Anichebe is worth persevering with, Yak seems to think he can become the most fearsome striker in the league! Some players develop later than others and Anichebe definitely has the raw attributes - the type of player Wenger brings in and turns into a superstar. As for McFadden, I can't see many people regretting his sale now - he didn't do much for us and since joining Birmingham he hasn't done much either, except get relegated. It looks better business by the day! But yes, we can't let any strikers go unless we replace them, that's for certain.