IGNORED

Mikel To Leave?

Atletico Madrid are poised to test Everton’s resolve with a move for Mikel Arteta.

The Blues midfielder has been the subject of increasing talk in Spain that he is keen on a return to La Liga.

Now Atletico want to test the water for the £12million-rated star, who has always admitted he fancies playing for the club one day.

Doubts over Arteta’s long-term future on Merseyside surfaced last year when he made numerous trips back to Spain for treatment to a back injury.

He eventually had surgery and now Atletico want to sign him as they bid to improve on last season’s fourth-placed La Liga finish.(The Sun)

This was on the everton website in the paper talk section. What do you all think?

Edited by Ferguson Is God

Blue250 is spot-on..it comes down to the player pretty much every time now. Lets face it, if United get to keep Ronaldo this season, its only going to be putting that off until 2009.

Arteta seems to have flirted with Athletic Madrid for a long time now. His wife no doubt has a very high profile in Spain, so a move to the city of Madrid would suit, Mikel wants to play for the national side and he has a tough task to achieve that so playing in Spain will help and on top of all that, they can now offer him CL footy.

I'd love to think he will stay, but I for one am certain that he's off.

Atheltico have already signed two midfielders who play in the same postition and have yet to release anyone so i can't really see any truth in them wanting him, not saying he won't leave and god knows it will be havily mentioned in the press this summer, but at the moment i can't see him going to Athelitico just becasue they don't really seem to need him so I doubt he will get regular first team football. Just a thought.

Blue250 is spot-on..it comes down to the player pretty much every time now. Lets face it, if United get to keep Ronaldo this season, its only going to be putting that off until 2009.

I thought Arsene Wenger had a great quote this weekend. He said, "'If I had the power to change anything basic in football, it would be the transfer system which makes mercenaries of players. If they are bad ones, they stay, and if they are good, they think only of leaving."

Unfortunately, he's absolutely right. It's why we have to put up with rumors like this one about Arteta every other week, while we can't get rid of VDM's salary for love or money. What's more, the way the system works right now it seems like the players are damned either way. The ones who change clubs are accused of being greedy or selfish, and the ones who don't change clubs are accused of "lacking ambition." Like there's something wrong with someone who's happy playing for their club and isn't interested in going somewhere else. Wasn't it Carlo Cudicini who was labeled the "least ambitious player in football" a few years ago, for the crime of wanting to stay at Chelsea even though he wasn't starting full time?

Edited by JD in DC

Spud's going nowhere!

Athletico Madrid claim to have ended their interest in Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta.

The Spaniards have been long-time admirers of the 26-year-old, who is currently recovering from an operation to cure the groin and abdominal that hampered him last season.

Indeed, reports last week suggested Atletico were ready to launch a £12million bid to take Arteta back to his homeland.

The midfielder, though, has consistently dismissed any suggestion of a move away from Goodison Park and signed a new five-year deal last summer.

And now Atletico sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch has ruled out a move for the Everton man.

“We will try to sign a top player by the end of the summer for the new season but to be honest we are not too worried as our team is pretty much complete,” said Pitarch yesterday.

“Arteta? Yes, we were interested in him but the club cannot go for that sort of player.”

• 3 weeks later...