IGNORED

Villa Uefa Question

Can someone explain to me why, having put out a full strength team against us in the FA cup, Martin O'Neill has chosen to field a weakened team in the UEFA Cup in Moscow tonight?

He obviously thought the FA Cup was worth winning, but the UEFA is apparently not :mellow: .

Wants to concentrate on the league I suppose (they do, after all, have a tough fixture at home to Stoke on Saturday), but I think it's the wrong way of going about it. Davey showed last season that if you play your best team the whole time it works. Continuity, team spirit....if pro footballers get knackered playing two games a week they should try living in the real world, it's not a lot to ask.

Hope they go out (it looks like they're about to) and finish sixth in the league.

....and another thing!

Crap Spurs team (Gomes, Gunter, Chimbonda, Huddlestone, Gilberto, Giovani, Palacios, O'Hara, Bale, Campbell, Obika) playing against Shakhtar so Redknapp can keep his top players for the Carling Cup final.....a completely meaningless piece of silverware useful only because it qualifies you for the....er...UEFA Cup :unsure: .

....and another thing!

Crap Spurs team (Gomes, Gunter, Chimbonda, Huddlestone, Gilberto, Giovani, Palacios, O'Hara, Bale, Campbell, Obika) playing against Shakhtar so Redknapp can keep his top players for the Carling Cup final.....a completely meaningless piece of silverware useful only because it qualifies you for the....er...UEFA Cup :unsure: .

Thats because he knows they won't make anything out of it against shaktar , and in the uefa cup this year, so it was best to rest the good players for the league and the carling cup

And for villa, they want to play Cl next year, so they'll need any rest they can get with their relative small group of palyers

In Spurs' case they still have to think about survival too, being only a few points above the relegation zone. Their odds of overturning a two-goal deficit against Shakhtar (a Champions' League qualifier this year) were not promising to begin with. If he had put his whole first team out there when they had maybe a 5% chance of getting the result they needed, and Darren Bent or Aaron Lennon had snapped a leg...

Edited by JD in DC

Their odds of overturning a two-goal deficit against Shakhtar (a Champions' League qualifier this year) were not promising to begin with.

They might not have been two goals down if they'd put out a decent team in the first leg :) .

I still think it's daft. Redknapp whinging on about not being able to take his players on a break before the final like "in the old days." Six games in seventeen games is "crazy."

Try Everton in the old days of '85....nine games in twenty-three days including two finals.....and neither of them the Mickey Mouse Cup.

Should always play your best available eleven in my view, teams used to be penalised if they didn't.

I assume you mean 6 games in 17 Days. :)

And i agree with you Mike, Not to field your better players is an insult to the supporters who pay top wack these days in order to see the top players.

And every manager should go out with the intention of not only winning but also of putting on the best display possible in every game, and not just for the one that will be coming up in a few days.

I think its a joke the way that they have treated the tournament and treated the fans, and to some regards the players. I felt that Villa could have had a genuine chance of winning the tournament, if they had put there best team out. They certainly have a larger chance of success in the Eufa than they do for success in the Champions League. The fact that Villa fans will have paid alot of money to watch the team progress in the tournament and then pay what I can only imagine to be huge prices to travel to Russia to see a youth squad put out, its a joke! And the players, I imagine when they look back at there carears they would much rather have a winners medel for the eufa cup than think, well at least I had a couple of appearances in the Champions League. I liked Villa this season and had hoped they would progress well and maybe even break into the top 4 like we had done, but now I really hope that they miss out and end up with egg on there faces.

I think its a joke the way that they have treated the tournament and treated the fans, and to some regards the players. I felt that Villa could have had a genuine chance of winning the tournament, if they had put there best team out. They certainly have a larger chance of success in the Eufa than they do for success in the Champions League. The fact that Villa fans will have paid alot of money to watch the team progress in the tournament and then pay what I can only imagine to be huge prices to travel to Russia to see a youth squad put out, its a joke! And the players, I imagine when they look back at there carears they would much rather have a winners medel for the eufa cup than think, well at least I had a couple of appearances in the Champions League. I liked Villa this season and had hoped they would progress well and maybe even break into the top 4 like we had done, but now I really hope that they miss out and end up with egg on there faces.

Next season it's Europa League, which is an unknown for everyone. Supposedly, clubs will get more cash, and more exposure, but this season, it's the same old crap. You get more cash for qualifying from CL groups than for reaching the UEFA final...

Next season it's Europa League, which is an unknown for everyone. Supposedly, clubs will get more cash, and more exposure, but this season, it's the same old crap. You get more cash for qualifying from CL groups than for reaching the UEFA final...

Its just a shame that its all about money. Football should be about success not finance. I feel that most, if not all, the Villa players would prefer to have had the chance at winning the Eufa cup. As I said before when they look back at their careers having a winners medal will be alot more satisfying and rewarding than just a couple of performances in the CL.

I should point out that I am not trying to say that had Villa put a full strength squad out then they would have won, but I genuinly believe that had they progressed through to the next round that they could have had a real chance of winning the tournament. The Eufa Cup is Villa's level. They will never mount a serious threat in the Champions League, but money talks and I am dissapointed with someone like O'Niell that he has seemingly chosen a chance at big money over a chance at success. If Villa do break the top 4 this year, no one will remember or care in a few years time, just like no-one seems to remember when we did it last. People remember the winners, everything is forgotton. I have lost a little bit of respect for O'Niell now, I always felt he was honest and just, but now I feel he has made a silly mistake becasue he wants the glitz and glamour and the big money for a few minutes in the sun of the champions league. In case noone has noticed this has really got me riled up!

It should be about success rather than finance just like Jamie said. The team that lifts to the trophy is the one thats get the most respect, the one that gets remembered and they will never be that in the Champions League. They had built up a good run in UEFA and who knows could have challenged for the big trophy. O'Neill may get into the Champions League from this decision but he will never get past the knockout rounds and nobody will remember them breaking the Top 4. We were the first to do it and nobody made a big fuss so why should they about Aston Villa now?

As has been said its an insult to the fans what O'Neill has done. They pay top money (even in this crunch) to see their team do well for the first time in Europe and they pass the puck as if it dosent matter. Each match should be 100% for the supporters, success at all costs rather than settling for second best. The Villa fans deserve more and should be rightly annoyed at this.

They could have beaten CSKA.

Glad to hear from you Sporting....I was a bit concerned you may have thrown yourself off a tall building after your little German difficulty :unsure: .

I think the whole situations fuckin disgraceful to be honest. We saw the same kind of thing with Bolton last season and this year it's even worse, without even going into the feelings of the loyal fans who pay their hard earned money to travel the lengths of Europe to support their team and get to watch players even they haven't heard of! The start of the season Spurs and Villa were making a big fuss about how they were in Europe and they start off by playing strong sides but then when it gets to the business end they make excuses for putting out weak sides, if your gonna do that what was the point in bothering in the first place?? Villa for instance started their European campaign in July (I think!) and to just chuck away all that effort seems crazy to me!!

Forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't we challenging for a top 4 place this time last year? and what side did Moyes put out? certainly stronger than what we're able to put out now that's for sure!! I can sort of understand Spurs not wanting injuries just before the CC final but if they'd tried in the 1st leg maybe they'd have been able to do that anyway!!!

A mate of mine who's a Villa fan was pretty pissed off about the whole thing, and I said to him I thought they had a decent chance of going far in it and even if your not gonna win it wouldn't it be good for the players and the fans to have a good run in it. Needless to say he agreed!

Basically I think it's pathetic and shows contempt to the fans and the competition itself and both teams are an embarrassment to English football!!

CSKA to win I bet!!!!

Sorry for the rant but I've been like this down the pub the last day or so (and already had a few today) and like I've said to everyone else I'm pretty sure Davey wouldn't have done it unless forced to by injuries!!!

Edited by Blue Oz

Glad to hear from you Sporting....I was a bit concerned you may have thrown yourself off a tall building after your little German difficulty :unsure: .

lol

We've been playing completely irregular this season, some great games, most of them are mediocre, and there's some really bad ones.

We played 4 games this against BIG clubs, twice against barça, one against madrid and this one with bayern. We took 18 goals in those 4 games...

Anyways, in a week where we played (and beat) benfica, bayern and porto, I just hope we win tonight, otherwise it's pretty much season over, as far as championship is concerned.

Got no time for Redknapp tbh, and after the FA cup game Oniell has gone down in my estimation as well.

How pissed off would you be if you'd actually paid to travel for the away legs to only to find out that the manager had decided to play Jimmy Saggleface and Billy Bobeend instead of your strongest team.

Hopefully this disrespect comes back and blows up in their faces.

Man U to win tomorrow, and Villa to finish 7th..... (fingers crossed)

bagwoir (Aston Villa fan)

"Arsenal fans, keep quite. When you field your strongest team in our domestic cups,then you can spout off as much as you like. Short memories you have"

makes me laugh that because for starters arsenals kids do quite well usually! plus you dont have to work hard over a season to get into that and playin in europe is representing your country aswell not just your club! thought it was a joke and wish they had got standard liege and we had got the easy qualifier they got! plus that is crap about tottenham not overturning the 2 goals we had 2 to overturn against fiorentina and did it to go out on penalties still played the strongest side whilst fighting for a european spot in the league! complete disrespect for the whole cup and they shouldnt be allowed to enter next year if they do qualify :P

I stand by what I said. Hauling 2 back isn't impossible, but against a Champions' League level opponent, with no away goals to help, the odds of pulling it off and winning are pretty long. Your citing us just proves the point...we gave it our all, and we still lost. Whether it was going down kicking and fighting like we did, or whether we had played the reserves and lost by five, we still lost. If a team has an unlikely deficit to overcome in a second leg, I'm not going to fault someone for conceding at that point, and saving his players for competitions where he still has more important things to play for. It's not something I would do, personally, but I could see where a manager wouldn't want to have to explain to his boss why the team is getting relegated and losing 60 million pounds because his best player went down with a season-ending injury in a game of little or no strategic value. As an Everton fan, I'd think you of all people would appreciate what an untimely injury to a key player can do to a team.

NOW...

Having said all of that, I did NOT know when I posted earlier that Tottenham had fielded a weakened squad for the first leg of the tie too, and that I WILL fault him for. There's an enormous difference between giving it your best shot for the first leg and conceding if the second looks out of reach (which is what I was defending the right to do, both above and in the previous post), versus practically begging the other team to beat you right from the first minute of the first leg. The latter I do not like AT ALL, and would never try to defend.