IGNORED

Swine Fever/flu

Chatting to a doctor this morning and he told me that if this pandemic gets under way, as predicted, it could well bring a ban on mass gatherings such as football matches etc until the threat has gone.............................I don't think at present that it will effect the final although that is not impossible but Wimbeldon, Test series, Open Golf and other similar big occasions could well suffer especially football at the beginning of next season. The prime threat is air based infections, especially in crowded places so watch this space and hope we get away with it as we did with bird flu

Until the dead are walking like in the movies im not arsed about an pandemic.

The last one killed about 5,000,000 people in and around the UK, people with bad chests, old people, young people with bad hearts, I would be very arsed if I was you aaron, there again I will no doubt pop my clogs if it gets me. Be concerned, be very concern

Guest efctaxi
The last one killed about 5,000,000 people in and around the UK, people with bad chests, old people, young people with bad hearts, I would be very arsed if I was you aaron, there again I will no doubt pop my clogs if it gets me. Be concerned, be very concern

You can always come back as a zombie and eat Aaron :D

current virus has the same subtype (H1N1) as the 1918 flu pandemic which mostly killed healthy young adults ... soon it'll be just you and Bill :-) .

current virus has the same subtype (H1N1) as the 1918 flu pandemic which mostly killed healthy young adults ... soon it'll be just you and Bill :-) .

And me....I'm very unhealthy (and in the light of that post I'm going to make myself unhealthier...more cake!!) B) .

Yes, and the key word in that sentence is "1918." Back then people still routinely died from things we usually take for granted in the western world today. Hell, you could still die if you cut yourself shaving back then...they hadn't invented penicillin or any modern antibiotics yet. It's worth pointing out that every death so far has been in Mexico, which while not as bad off as some parts of the world is still a pretty unsanitary place compared to the US, Canada, or most of Europe. They still advise you not to drink the water if you're traveling there.

Guest efctaxi
I thought you were taking him back to Eastlands :P

Taxi, keep away from the airport and station mate

I'll just pretend to cough and sneeze as they're getting in .

Hopefully they'll put their own heads out of the window , and not want to handle my change :lol:

Yes, and the key word in that sentence is "1918." Back then people still routinely died from things we usually take for granted in the western world today. Hell, you could still die if you cut yourself shaving back then...they hadn't invented penicillin or any modern antibiotics yet. It's worth pointing out that every death so far has been in Mexico, which while not as bad off as some parts of the world is still a pretty unsanitary place compared to the US, Canada, or most of Europe. They still advise you not to drink the water if you're traveling there.

yes the overall number of deaths will be much lower now than in 1918 .. however the reason young people died in that 1918 pandemic is because the better your immune system the more effect the influenza had .. that hasn't changed ... so while in total numbers there will be fewer deaths, percentage-wise there'll still be more amongst youngsters.

not that this has much relevance in our world of today but i just found it interesting that immune system and dying were positively correlated :) .

I care not about it as tomorrow i could be hit by a bus and killed *touch wood I dont* I dont worry over stuff like that.

Shame its going to postpone / have cancelled sports in mexico though.

I think its that type of attitude that is wrong with the world today, I'm alright Jack. Don't you think that your parents, grandparents or members of your immediate family may be at risk. I'm not talking about going over the top and wearing masks etc as will be happening, I just mean caring, if not for yourself try it for others mate

Until the dead are walking like in the movies im not arsed about an pandemic.

With Aaron to be honest. The flu is spreading fast and it could be one that brings mass death to the world. The point for me is that we are all going to die someday anyway. None of us are immortal (and probably never will be) so there's no real point getting off our tits in panic about this bug. It does need to be watched yes but I don't really know how I can stop myself from firstly knowing who's got it so I can't catch it. I'm going to live life how I always do and make sure that when I am knocking at heaven's door I can look back and not be thinking what a waste.

...Hmm heaven's door, I'm athiest :mellow:

With Aaron to be honest. The flu is spreading fast and it could be one that brings mass death to the world. The point for me is that we are all going to die someday anyway. None of us are immortal (and probably never will be) so there's no real point getting off our tits in panic about this bug. It does need to be watched yes but I don't really know how I can stop myself from firstly knowing who's got it so I can't catch it. I'm going to live life how I always do and make sure that when I am knocking at heaven's door I can look back and not be thinking what a waste.

...Hmm heaven's door, I'm athiest :mellow:

as I have said it seems you don't give a crap for anyone, mum. dad, brother or sister. In that case cough, sneeze and spread the virus as often as you can may be it will pick you but then you don't mind but I care about others

The good thing at the moment is the people who have been exposed to the virus seem to be responding well to the drugs we have available.

BUT!......My sons girlfriends mum works in a large hospital, and basically runs the mortuary, for those who are of a nervous disposition, please don't read on!.......

........She was summond to London a few WEEKS a go!......To be informed of an impending problem.

She was told what to expect, how she should deal with the problem, numbers and so forth.

People perhaps tell others people, ie their children things that in hindsight maybe they shouldn't, you know what I mean.......and they blab as well!

Result is son tells me way before the word swine fever virus is even mentioned in the papers, and boy do the papers like to mention swine fever, of the things he has been told.....AND THE NUMBERS OF CUSTOMERS the mortuary is to expect :o

I wont repeat that daily number, and I genuinly, I thought told him it was rubbish.What do I know?

If pushed I would perhaps divulge that number.....though I don't see the point!

The drugs do seem able to at present to help the victums of the virus, and that, lets be honest is a bloody good sign.It's going to be very nasty and disruption to daily life for a lot of people is very likely.

But common sence and drugs old and new may well see of this Virus, until the next one.

Who said millions of deaths are a statistic......one death is a tragedy!

My wife is at Broadgreen Car + Th, they have had contingency plans in place for days now but no major meeting is scheduled until the end of next week when the spread of the virus will be better known and they can have an idea of what IT beds will be needed....................nice but practical as they are following a preordained control pattern :)

Mexico has revised down the suspected death toll from swine flu from 176 to 101, indicating that the outbreak may not be as bad as was initially feared.

At least there is some good news with the flu. Must suck to be living in Mexico at the moment :(

I hope it does clear up soon, for all I don't fear the virus it's not good to have it lurking around.