IGNORED

Anton Peterlin

It looks like Moyes has landed us a new signing, he has apparently impressed Moyes during a trial and has been signed up. The transfer is expected to go through on July 1st when the window re-opens.

Name:Anton Peterlin

Nationality: USA/Danish

Date of birth: April 4, 1987

Place: San Francisco

Position: DMC

Signed from Ventura County Fusion and will join in the summer. It's unusual to see a professional go through Uni/College first. David Weir also did it, let's hope it works out for him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009...-changing-trip/

There were plenty of signs that Anton Peterlin had arrived at a Mecca of the game.

Like the soccer-mad taxi driver who gave him a tour of Liverpool, regaling him with stories of one of the greatest intracity rivalries in world sport.

Like the 40,000 singing supporters who piled into 117-year-old Goodison Park on Sunday afternoon for the F.A. Cup quarterfinal win over Middlesbrough. And then there was the parking lot at Finch Farm, Everton Football Club’s sparkling new training facility, which was chocked full of Range Rovers, Bentleys and Audi R8s.

“All the nice cars,” said Peterlin. “They’re there. It’s tough not to notice them.”

Especially for a college senior on the spring break of a lifetime.

Peterlin, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo’s senior captain, has been offered a contract by Everton of the English Premier League after spending 10 days in March on trial in Liverpool.

After previous trials with the San Jose Earthquakes and Chicago Fire, the San Francisco native will go from the Big West to the big time this summer.

All that’s missing the movie deal.

“It’s cliché to say, but it really is dream come true,” said Peterlin.

“I’ve always aspired to play at the highest level.”

Peterlin earned the tryout with a spectacularly steady season last summer for the Ventura County Fusion, the local entry in the Premier Development League, the fourth tier of American soccer. He was recommended to Everton manager David Moyes by Fusion coach Graham Smith.

“I felt he had a chance,” said Smith. “He’s a very intelligent young boy. He will go into medicine if he doesn’t make it as a soccer player. He has the mental capacity as well as the physical capacity to succeed.”

Smith first saw Peterlin playing for Cal Poly while the coach was sitting alongside Seattle Sounders coach Sigi Schmid, the former UCLA and Los Angeles Galaxy coach.

“I’d never seem him and he’d never seen him,” said Smith. “But we both looked at each other and we knew who was running the game.”

Although his initial goal on his first day at Finch Farm, training with Everton reserves, was not to look out of place.

“I was more nervous Monday, the first time out,” said Peterlin, who was joined in on the trip by Smith and Wake Forest striker Cody Arnoux.

“But we had a good training sesson in front of Moyes and spoke to him at lunch.”

By the time he joined the first team, and international stars like Australian attacker Tim Cahill, Spanish midfielder Mikel Arteta and American goalkeeper Tim Howard, the nerves were gone.

“It was different than American training,” said Peterlin. “It was very directed at pressure, pressure, pressure. Very concentrated. Very organized. We did some technical work.

“It was a good mix. The two hours flew by.”

As the week went on, he settled right into the high-caliber of play.

“I was so in love with it,” said Peterlin. “I enjoyed the level on which they played. I thought I played pretty well throughout.”

Said Smith: “Moyes put him immediately with the first team and Anton did not look out of place. For eight days, he applied himself tremendously well.”

Apparently, Moyes agreed.

“Anton really impressed myself and the coaching staff with his attitude and undoubted ability,” said Moyes in a statement released by the Fusion. “We are therefore delighted to give him the chance to establish a professional career here at Everton.”

Announced to the team during the Fusion’s preseason campaign, the news of Peterlin’s offer dropped a few jaws.

“There was a bit of gasp around the circle,” said Smith.

Partly because of how far away the Premiership is to young American players. Because of British employment laws and eligibility rules, usually only top U.S. internationals can sign with the top English clubs. Peterlin, born to Danish and Slovenia parents, holds an EU passport as a dual Danish-American citizen.

Partly because Peterlin, as a holding midfielder, plays one of the most important, and most invisible, roles on the pitch.

“It’s not a glamour position,” said Peterlin. “I get my joy when we clean up dirty little messes and get into scraps.”

So he can play with the Fusion this summer, Peterlin will not sign the contract until Everton arrives for its preseason tour of the U.S. in July.

“I have a lot to give back to the Fusion,” said Peterlin. “That’s why I’m playing with them. But whenever Everton calls, I’m going to go.”

As he told the team in Monday’s team meeting ahead of Friday’s season opener against Bakersfield at Buena High, Smith believes Peterlin is just the first Fusion player to make a career in Europe.

“I believe that Anton will be the forerunner,” said Smith. “That is what we are here for.”

Sounds good if he apparently fitted straight in with the first team, although they tend to like to exaggerate these stories..

Maybe he'll be like Santiago Munez out of the Goal! movies :P:P Nah seriously though good on him if this is true, hope he goes well.

Guest efctaxi
Taxi, can't you find out who the cabby was that took him on the city tour, bit of insider info like :rolleyes:

He sounds like he could make the grade but Moyes has been wrong before so lets just wait and see. Any of our US brethren know much about him??

Not guilty :P

Besides , I'm not a Liverpool taxi driver . I'm much more classy than that . :D

Guest efctaxi
Well you can't be Sefton, they know what they are doing...........................you have a carriage licence for a horse and cart, you are Harold Steptoe :P

I don't live in Liverpool :)

Sounds good if he apparently fitted straight in with the first team, although they tend to like to exaggerate these stories..

Maybe he'll be like Santiago Munez out of the Goal! movies :P:P Nah seriously though good on him if this is true, hope he goes well.

yes please lol

Anton really impressed myself and the coaching staff with his attitude and undoubted ability,” said Moyes in a statement released by the Fusion. “We are therefore delighted to give him the chance to establish a professional career here at Everton.”

Looks like he is going to be a good signing for us another Tim Cahill perhaps. He's looked good on his trail with Finch Farm and to be honest if he is looking like first team material now he's going to be a superstar in a few years time. I wish him the best of luck with his career and hope that in the near future he can nick a goal at Goodison.

Looks like he is going to be a good signing for us another Tim Cahill perhaps. He's looked good on his trail with Finch Farm and to be honest if he is looking like first team material now he's going to be a superstar in a few years time. I wish him the best of luck with his career and hope that in the near future he can nick a goal at Goodison.

where did you get this from?

fingers crossed for the lad

Edited by StevO

Taxi, can't you find out who the cabby was that took him on the city tour, bit of insider info like :rolleyes:

He sounds like he could make the grade but Moyes has been wrong before so lets just wait and see. Any of our US brethren know much about him??

I've never even heard of him. Although I do know that Cal Poly has a good uni soccer program, so just the fact that he played there means he's probably not a slug (they're also a close rival of UC Santa Barbara, where I went to uni). What's curious to me though is that two MLS teams had him in for trials and declined to pick him up, but Everton jumps in and signs him? That's exactly the opposite of what you'd expect. Which means that whether he succeeds or fails, someone is going to be proven spectacularly wrong here.

Here's a link to his bio from the Cal Poly team section: http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&a...mp;player=16791

And it looks like his combined stats in three years at Poly are: 61 games (58 starts), 2 goals, 3 assists, 38 shots (15 on goal)

Based on that, and the comments in the article, it sounds like Moyes thinks he may potentially have a young Carsley or Neville on his hands. Whatever he saw in the kid, it obviously wasn't his scoring ability!

I play collegiately in Southern California too and have never heard of him. I'll ask my coach if he knows of him. I do know a fair amount about the PDL league and the ventura county fusion which he played for. Its called the 4th tier of American "soccer" but thats a little far off. The thing about PDL is that its an amateur league, the only league which college students can maintain their eligibility for collegiate athletics and because of this there is a fair range of ability. That being said the best English team I have ever heard of a PDL player going to is scunthorpe utd. But then again there is that whole work permit thing.

Is Moyes trying to tap into the giant American possible fan base?Plenty of Aussies taking an interest in Everton these days, thanks to Cahill.Is this all a scouts work? didn't Moyes say he didn't have much to do with Kroldrup.He's obviously done something good since he's been training with us.

I doubt it's got much to do with tapping the U.S. market, the player refers to himself as Danish :)

TC - Don't pay much attention to the official site for new signings, they rarely add them to the news if they are academy or unknown signings. They just appear on profile screen ;)

I doubt it's got much to do with tapping the U.S. market, the player refers to himself as Danish :)

Typical shabby Danish trick!!.....Pretend you an American just to get a trial at our great club :angry:

I wont be fooled next time........................................I'll read the whole bloody thread :rolleyes:

Typical shabby Danish trick!!.....Pretend you an American just to get a trial at our great club :angry:

I wont be fooled next time........................................I'll read the whole bloody thread :rolleyes:

Well, technically it's one of those dual-citizenship things. He was born in San Francisco, so he is officially an American, but he's allowed to claim EU citizenship too because of his parents, which is why Everton were able to sign him without the work permit issue coming up. Best of both worlds, really.

TC - Don't pay much attention to the official site for new signings, they rarely add them to the news if they are academy or unknown signings. They just appear on profile screen ;)

lol Ive never met a Yank yet who refers to their self as being American they always claim to be Irish or Italian or some other country their ancestors may have come from!