IGNORED

Sylvain Distin

blueblood

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people don't rate him but I do, what he will give us is some badly needed experience and leadership in the back line.

I also think that by the time Jags gets back he will have more than proved his worth and will probably be the other 1st choice centre half.

Now he's admitted breaking his policy, but its a weak excuse for doing it cos we are now linked with Heitinga and theres players all over the world who could be bought.

"Armed by the £24m windfall from Joleon Lescott’s departure, Moyes admits he broke with his usual policy in splashing out £5.3m for 31-year-old Distin.

“Usually we buy with a view to the future,” said the Goodison manager. “But on this occasion, the reason we were not letting Joleon go was because there was only a couple of what I thought were good centre-backs available".

I think it's perfectly good answer for buying him....not an excuse. Thirty-one's no age for a center-back....anywhere else on the pitch it'd be a worry but I think Distin will be fine. 3/4 year contract is enough future planning for me :) .

Speaking of future planning Bill, your sig needs a bit of work....there's a nasty smudge fifth from the left :( .

david weir and alan stubbs were fantastic and stubbsy captained us to the champs league a ripe old age :P great buy provides cover for the left back in emergencies and gives the defence the balance of having a left footed CB again! great experience, good leader and quite a big lad too i think he will be great!

I have to say that after watching his interview on EvertonTV my view on him is a lot more positive now. He comes across very well and he seems to genuinely want to play for us, which is priceless. Hopefully he's a talker and a leader for us at the back because Yobo isn't, how does he get to be captain of Nigeria? :blink:

Also, I'm a big fan of having a right and left-footed CB partnership and Distin gives us that.

Now he's admitted breaking his policy, but its a weak excuse for doing it cos we are now linked with Heitinga and theres players all over the world who could be bought.

"Armed by the £24m windfall from Joleon Lescott’s departure, Moyes admits he broke with his usual policy in splashing out £5.3m for 31-year-old Distin.

“Usually we buy with a view to the future,” said the Goodison manager. “But on this occasion, the reason we were not letting Joleon go was because there was only a couple of what I thought were good centre-backs available".

My God you still dont get it!

What the flying flock has buying Heitinga got to do with signing Distin??

DISTIN IS A LEFT FOOTED CB WHO CAN COVER AS A LB

None of the other players weve been linked with, includig Heitinga are left footed nor can they play left back

WE NEEDED COVER AT LEFT BACK

DISTIN CAN PLAY LEFT SIDE OF CB PAIRING

Now for the big clue NOBODY ELSE WAS AVAILABLE THAT FITS THAT CRITERIA THAT WAS WITHIN OUR PRICE RANGE !!!!

Hope this helps!

My God you still dont get it!

What the flying flock has buying Heitinga got to do with signing Distin??

DISTIN IS A LEFT FOOTED CB WHO CAN COVER AS A LB

None of the other players weve been linked with, includig Heitinga are left footed nor can they play left back

WE NEEDED COVER AT LEFT BACK

DISTIN CAN PLAY LEFT SIDE OF CB PAIRING

Now for the big clue NOBODY ELSE WAS AVAILABLE THAT FITS THAT CRITERIA THAT WAS WITHIN OUR PRICE RANGE !!!!

Hope this helps!

Lol!

scouser-1.gifscouser-1.gifscouser-1.gif

I dont see it the same as you, and i'm awfull sorry if i've upset you. <_<

You havent upset me, frustrated me certainly

Its not that you dont see it the same as me its that you dont see it at all

If you were to say we should have signed X player and given a viable alternative then you would have a valid argument. For example if you had said we should have spent the extra £5M and gone for Bassong ie a left footed CB who could be shoved out to LB as cover , then that would be fair enough.

But you just keep saying hes a waste of money because he is 31 then throwing names into the hat that dont address the problem of left sided CB/LB , using Heitingar as an example

If you've calmed down now duncan go back and see my original post, i said Distin was a half decent player and i never mentioned that he was a waste of money, the issue i raised was that i was puzzled as to why Moyes went against his own and the clubs policy.

Then in my second post he gave the reason he did it as Quote.."because there was only a couple of what I thought were good centre-backs available". :blink:

Now Considering that we have been linked to almost every centre back in the prem in Taylor, Senderos, Wheater, Huth, Shawcross amongst others, and had just put in a bid for Heitanga, i think that sort of shot a few holes in his statement.

Thats all there was too it mate, and you want to be carefull getting yourself worked up like that, it can give you health problems later on in life. ;)

are any of the above mentioned left footed cb/lb though? i can see where you are comin from on both sides so not havin a go with that i dont wanna upset anyone :P doesnt really shoot holes in the statement if you ask me though cos i dont think moyes ever confirmed us being linked with any of the others and he said we needed a cb anyways even if lescott stayed. now if i have missed anythin please tell me :D probably have cos ive had a few ;)

I dont think you get it Either, It does'nt make any difference to me if he was left footed, right footed, or had three bloody feet, the issue was he went against his policy of buying younger players.

I'm amazed that such a simple passing comment could end up being akin to the Spanish Inquisition. :blink::blink:

are any of the above mentioned left footed cb/lb though? i can see where you are comin from on both sides so not havin a go with that i dont wanna upset anyone :P doesnt really shoot holes in the statement if you ask me though cos i dont think moyes ever confirmed us being linked with any of the others and he said we needed a cb anyways even if lescott stayed. now if i have missed anythin please tell me :D probably have cos ive had a few ;)

Lol thats the point I have been trying to get accross for days now but it seems to be falling on deaf ears!

Bill, one last go!

Moyse went against his policy of signing younger players because none were available in that position within our price range

Now you may see that as a "weak excuse" but with only 4 days to go in the window at the time its pretty much fact.

Yes he did look at other, younger CBs but thats because we needed 2 CBs, preferably one that could cover RB hence the bid for Heitinga so he hasnt blown any holes in his theory

LOL

Any way. I heard on the radio that he played well today, even with little to do?

He made it look like he had little to do through sheer composure. He was solid and quality, looked like he has played for us for years.

Well happy with the signing.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't understand what the problem is. He's saying he could maybe have gone to City or even Liverpool and got higher wages for sitting on the bench (he doesn't mention wages but it's plain he'd have got more). Instead he wants to play first team football :mellow: .

Why is that not what you want to hear?

If he was guaranteed first team football at the RS or Citeh, sounds like he would have gone there. I would have wanted him to come out and say he choose Everton because they are the team on the up, we all know he would have been lying but it's still something you want to hear as a fan.

Maybe I'm being too picky on this one.

If he was guaranteed first team football at the RS or Citeh, sounds like he would have gone there. I would have wanted him to come out and say he choose Everton because they are the team on the up, we all know he would have been lying but it's still something you want to hear as a fan.

Maybe I'm being too picky on this one.

If he'd been guaranteed first-team football at either one of those clubs then I wouldn't have blamed him for choosing one of them over us.