IGNORED

Knee Injuries!

In light of the fact that half the Everton team seem to be struck down with Knee injuries I thought it was about time to find out just what it's like :( .

It appears I have " a horizontal tear involving inferior surface of posterior horn of the medial meniscus".....according to an MRI Scan!.....I guess that's pretty much a cartilage tear.

Has anyone on the forum ever had this injury....maybe had a small repair to the meniscus...the damaged piece removed or the complete meniscus that's damaged removed.

Or even just left the injury alone.

If so what's your recovery been like, things like strength of joint and amount of pain within the knee post opp.

Any advice would be appreciated. :sad02:

How did you manage to do that?

Well Romey, MikeO's advice of asprin and acting hard, probably didn't help my cause much, as the original injury was it seems many years back during my footballing days, should have got it seen to way back as it's only got worse.See the surgeon in a couple of weeks to decide action.That's why I was asking if it was something encountered by anyone on here.

Jagielka, having got over his main knee problem, has just had an opp for a similar problem.His being a fresh wound will let's hope mean he has no further problems.

MikeO was saying about broken bones compared to knee tears and ruptures....I think most players would take a standard break to having the knee twisted inside out, as there seems to be more problems when and if they get back.....just look at poor old Vaughans knees.

God willing Jags and Arteta, Neville and Pienaar....and of course Vaughan, will get back to as good as before, but having done way too much reading on the subject just lately, I have to say there's a small chance they may never be quite the same as before the injury.

As for our friend galacticaracnid!.....well he's just a walking fuc%ing miracle, that shattered hip socket must have been one hell of a bad landing.....surely not a tackle?

Well Romey, MikeO's advice of asprin and acting hard, probably didn't help my cause much, as the original injury was it seems many years back during my footballing days, should have got it seen to way back as it's only got worse.See the surgeon in a couple of weeks to decide action.That's why I was asking if it was something encountered by anyone on here.

Jagielka, having got over his main knee problem, has just had an opp for a similar problem.His being a fresh wound will let's hope mean he has no further problems.

MikeO was saying about broken bones compared to knee tears and ruptures....I think most players would take a standard break to having the knee twisted inside out, as there seems to be more problems when and if they get back.....just look at poor old Vaughans knees.

God willing Jags and Arteta, Neville and Pienaar....and of course Vaughan, will get back to as good as before, but having done way too much reading on the subject just lately, I have to say there's a small chance they may never be quite the same as before the injury.

As for our friend galacticaracnid!.....well he's just a walking fuc%ing miracle, that shattered hip socket must have been one hell of a bad landing.....surely not a tackle?

noone was near me, for any of the breaks actaully! the ball was played at pace in a 5aSide competition, i streched my leg out to deflect it goalwards (and by some mircle it went in and took us to extra time!) but it caught the end of my big toe and as i didnt have a steady stance, somehow dislocated my hip before i fell on it, where it forced its way through the socketwall back into place. the biggest problem was the muscle damage, and it wasnt until last year (8 years on) that a massuse told me that a rather important muscle was in the wrong place... she popped it back into place and ive been back to nearly my best since then! moral of the story? ignore the NHS and go get a massage!

it wasnt until last year (8 years on) that a massuse told me that a rather important muscle was in the wrong place... she popped it back into place and ive been back to nearly my best since then! moral of the story? ignore the NHS and go get a massage!

Yer, I think we can all guess which "rather important muscle" was in the wrong place, good looking this physio was she :rolleyes: popped it back in did she!......right I'm just off for a massage.....on my knee :rolleyes:

Damaged both of my knee cartilages when I was in the mob.

First one was an arse, open surgery under general anesthetic, most of the offending bit of gristle removed and took weeks to heal and hurt like hell. Have problems with that knee to this day.

Second one about 8 years later was completely different, keyhole surgery was the new buzz word, small sliver removed, home same day and back at work in a week and almost pain free.

A lot will depend on where the tear is but my guess is your experience will more like my second.

Edited by iggy

Yer, I think we can all guess which "rather important muscle" was in the wrong place, good looking this physio was she :rolleyes: popped it back in did she!......right I'm just off for a massage.....on my knee :rolleyes:

she did have magic hands, but no... unfortunately not that muscle!

anyway best of luck mate! remember, take it easy, be patient and listen to the recovery time no matter how good the painkillers are or how good it feels!

Damaged both of my knee cartilages when I was in the mob.

First one was an arse, open surgery under general anesthetic, most of the offending bit of gristle removed and took weeks to heal and hurt like hell. Have problems with that knee to this day.

Second one about 8 years later was completely different, keyhole surgery was the new buzz word, small sliver removed, home same day and back at work in a week and almost pain free.

A lot will depend on where the tear is but my guess is your experience will more like my second.

That iggy fits in with what I've found out so far, thanks for that.Shame about that first knee of yours, but it sounds like it was damaged pretty bad in the first place.