Aek Athens (Away)

MikeO

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/4080102/

Billy's goal for those who missed it.

Well worked goal, good header, nice control and lay off, and great finish.

Wasn't it the Yak who brought the ball out of defence, with a couple of good touches and then slipped a great through ball to Baxter for his "goal".He was never going to get any food tonight from an Everton team who were hanging on and happy to defend.

Great result, I can see Billy scoring a few more now, Saturdays miss has been buried.

It doesn't half feel good to see us win for the first time in a while :). On that pitch a workmanlike performance was called for to get the job done and that's exactly what the players did, well done. It wasn't pretty and we didn't look like an amazing side by any stretch of the imgaination but that was to be expected with players out of position and so many youngsters playing. As a team you couldn't have asked for more from them, a couple of individuals maybe, but not the team as a whole. We're through and we can relax until February now when hopefully we'll be a match for any side in the competition.

Howard - Didn't really have anything to do.

Coleman - I thought he was brilliant, going forward and defending. He actually puts in tackles which I like. If he could show that sort of play consistently then I'd rather have him there than Hibbert because he has more to his game.

Hibbert - He's a better CB than RB based on his performances in Europe. I thought he was fantastic back there for us. I can't remember him missing a header and he was in the right place every time. My MOTM.

Duffy - Started off very shaky but settled down pretty quickly and played like someone a lot older. If he can keep developing then we look in safe hands at the back. Based on what I've seen of him and Distin he's going to be a far better player.

Baines - I thought he looked dodgy defensively tbh; he was constantly too far infield leaving the wing exposed, and then not getting out quick enough. Didn't really do anything going forward either.

Baxter - He struggled to get into the game but his work rate was really good and thank fuck he was tracking back to clear off the line!

Pienaar - Ran his arse off all night long but we didn't get to see much of his creativity in the centre because of that awful pitch!

Fellaini - I don't think he actually seen much of the ball but he did a lot of the dirty work for us, which is exactly what he was there to do as our DM and I thought he had a really good game.

Bily - Apart from his goal he didn't really do anything of note. He took the goal well though.

Cahill - That's two games in a row where the old work rate was back, he'll have slept last night that's for sure! It was a captain's performance from Timmy; he never stopped running and hustling and the header in the build up to our goal was just typical of him in the past.

Jo - Worked tirelessly for the cause and his hold up play and delicate pass to Bily for the goal was lovely. I just wish he had a better first touch and a right foot!

The reaction of the players at the final whistle was fantastic to see. They'd really battled hard and earned a great result - and the old EFC team spirit seemed really evident. Now we don't have a competitive match in the EL until Feb so we should be starting to get a much stronger team out by then.

If I was despondent last Wednesday, I'm much more encouraged now following our last 2 games. I always knew that we'd play worse than we did on Sunday and win and so it proved, but the commitment shown by the players was the thing that really gave hope for the remainder of the season.

Onwards and upwards. COYB!