IGNORED

Niclas Alexandersson

I saw Niclas Alexandersson this morning. In Stockholm, getting out of a hotel and into a bus. Think it was the whole IFK Göteborg team but i cant see his name on their websites team listing. Wonder if he still plays, he must be around 40 now.

Made me think back tho, who is the best swedish player that has played for Everton? None have really made a mark except perhaps Anders Limpar.

Alexandersson was quite good at Sheff Wed, Tobias Lindroth turned out to be one of the best players in the swedish international team after he left Everton.

Stefan Rehn (one of my personal faves) never blossomed at Everton

Jesper Blomqvist? Nope

Safe to say that Everton havent had any luck with swedish players?

Blatant handball, blatant dive to make up for it!

Sure I've told the story on here more than once but I watched that game on teletext....couldn't even listen to the radio. At my parents house.....kept walking out into the garden and back in praying the score would change.....and then doing the same praying it wouldn't. What a day!

My dad drove me from Chester to go watch it, only to find Liverpool 4 was utter chaos and we couldn't get in. By the time we reached the tunnel on the way home we were 2-0 down, I was in tears and I didn't bother asking for the radio to be turned on again once were out the other side on the Wirral. As we got home my dad turned the radio back on to check the other scores, just in time to hear the report that Horne had equalised! Awesome day

Limpar had a brilliant game the next season. Limpar and Southall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzhMLwCmzsc&feature=fvw (sorry for swedish commentators

My Swedish is not as god as it used to be :D but during the after match celebrations is the commentator pointing out that Anders Limpar was the first Swedish player to win an FA Cup Winners medal? Any Swedes able to translate?

My Swedish is not as god as it used to be :D but during the after match celebrations is the commentator pointing out that Anders Limpar was the first Swedish player to win an FA Cup Winners medal? Any Swedes able to translate?

The commentator said that Limpar was historical, but that could just mean that he is one of the swedes that have won the FA cup. (and got his name into the history books). Swedish commentators always make a big deal out of nothing when it comes to swedish players. Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the best in the world, Brolin was the best player in the 94 world cup etc etc. Let me do some research and get back to you.

The commentator said that Limpar was historical, but that could just mean that he is one of the swedes that have won the FA cup. (and got his name into the history books). Swedish commentators always make a big deal out of nothing when it comes to swedish players. Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the best in the world, Brolin was the best player in the 94 world cup etc etc. Let me do some research and get back to you.

I believe that Glenn Hysen (Liverpool) was a winner before Limpar, but not confirmed yet.

Cheers mate.

Hm Arsenal won the cup in 93. Limpar was in Arsenal at the time, the commentator could have meant that Limpar was the first swede to win the FA Cup with 2 teams.

Limpar wasn't involved in either the final or replay in '93.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_FA_Cup_Final

Amazingly Arsenal had John Jensen and ten Englishmen starting both games. How things change :) .

Limpar wasn't involved in either the final or replay in '93.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_FA_Cup_Final

Amazingly Arsenal had John Jensen and ten Englishmen starting both games. How things change :) .

"In March 1994, Limpar transferred to Everton for £1.6m[1], and while there he won the FA Cup a second time with Everton in 1995. Indeed, he played a vital role, his run from inside his own half leading to the winning goal by Paul Rideout. He also hit a memorable 50-yard reverse-pass which led to an Everton break-away that BBC commentator Barry Davies described as the 'pass of the match'."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Limpar

Strange, when did he win the first? Or was he injured for both finals, but played enough games in the FA cup to get a medal?

..he won it at arsenal like i said so obviously played enough games

Arsenal won it while he was there and he may well have got a medal (the current allocation is thirty per club, don't know if it's always been that many) but I personally wouldn't say he won it.

Semantics maybe, and times change but (for example) I'm pretty sure the England squad members at the '66 World Cup didn't get medals I've never heard Jimmy Greaves described as a World Cup winner.

personal opinions don't count if he has gone down as a winner in the history books and that was my point :)

He's down in Wikipedia as a two time winner.

Toffeeweb says different.

The man himself doesn't sound like he thinks he won it the first time...

"In 1993 when Arsenal won the League and FA Cups I was injured, so I'd never played in a Wembley final. To finally walk out with Everton to face 'the mighty' Manchester United was like a fairytale."

He actually only appeared in two out of eight FA Cup matches that year....

http://www.arseweb.com/history/stats/93.html

Doesn't count for me :) .

• 8 years later...