IGNORED

Osvaldo Alonso

The Cuban international recently had a week long trial. He plays for Seattle Sounders.

He trained with the reserves but when he was asked to train with the first team he was told to play on the right wing which surprised him as he's not played there before.

Interesting story about him here: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/jul/12/sweet_freedom47294/

Hi, do you have any more information on how he did? They also had another player from Seattle, Zakuani, who actually plays on the wing.

Thanks to the wonder of Google, I found this topic. I am a Sounders fan (living in Seattle) and thought I might shed some light on Alonso. Ozzie came to the Sounders as one of their first signings in their inaugural season. He had spent two seasons playing for a rival minor league team in the USA after failing to stick on an MLS roster. He has been voted the team's MVP by the players for two consecutive seasons playing STRICTLY as a defensive holding midfielder. In fact, after his return from injury this past season, the Sounders finished the season 10-2-2 in their last 14 games, as well as securing a second consecutive domestic cup (qualifying them for our Champions League). His size will probably prevent him from playing that position at a much higher level than MLS, but he is amongst the best in our league.

Alonso is a great tactician and has an excellent volley. He has not scored many in his two seasons, but is always a threat from outside the box on failed clearances and the like. He is a great tackler and has great vision. I'm surprised to read that he was playing on the wings with you guys. Either way, it is exciting for us to hear that our players are training with EPL teams, even if it isn't as a trialist.

Thanks for the insight TW :) .

no problem! His commitment to our team has been phenomenal. As a Cuban defector, he no longer has the ordinary drive to be part of his national team. His club team is his only professional commitment, and it shows in his play.

Any word on how he performed in training? I'm also curious about Zakuani, who is widely considered to be a couple of seasons away from a (relatively) high-profile transfer out of MLS.

Glad to hear Seattle fans like Ozzie. When you say that his size might prevent him from playing at higher level, do you mean he is not strong enough?

]

He is listed on soundersfc.com as being 5'11" and 165lbs. I do my best to follow the EPL, and even though that doesn't make me an expert on player's personal statistics I would have to believe that those measurements would make him under-sized as a holding midfielder. He does very well and competes for balls in the air, but 2 inches of height and 20lbs or so would put him in an entirely different class.

]

He is listed on soundersfc.com as being 5'11" and 165lbs. I do my best to follow the EPL, and even though that doesn't make me an expert on player's personal statistics I would have to believe that those measurements would make him under-sized as a holding midfielder. He does very well and competes for balls in the air, but 2 inches of height and 20lbs or so would put him in an entirely different class.

That sounds to me like average size. I think the biggest issue is getting used to the speed of the game, but with his positioning I think he could make it. He would not be a starter but could be a squad player. What do you think of Zakuani?

We have plenty of holding midfielders, we really don't need another, and especially one who is unlikely to even come close to challenging the ones already here.

I agree that they have plenty of holding midfielders. The fact he is there makes me think that Heitinga and probably somebody else(Pienar) are on their way out. Maybe Moyes will start to play Arteta further up and stop wasting his talent trying to turn him into Xavi.

I agree that they have plenty of holding midfielders. The fact he is there makes me think that Heitinga and probably somebody else(Pienar) are on their way out. Maybe Moyes will start to play Arteta further up and stop wasting his talent trying to turn him into Xavi.

You think this fella would challenge Fellaini and Rodwell then?

If we do sign him I hope he doesn't go the same way of the last unknowns we signed from America.

I assume we'd have to actually buy him?

I think if they decide to sign him, it would be a loan with a view to a permanent move. The last two americans that Moyes brought in were from the developmental leagues (USL) or whatever they are called. This guy has a little more seasoning having played at the MLS and internationally.

I think if they decide to sign him, it would be a loan with a view to a permanent move. The last two americans that Moyes brought in were from the developmental leagues (USL) or whatever they are called. This guy has a little more seasoning having played at the MLS and internationally.

It is hard to say what the impetus was to bring him in, as is the case with most trialists. If the squad is already rife with holding midfielders it is unlikely that Everton will make an offer. Add to that his importance to the Sounders squad, and it looks to me like an English vacation in the offseason :) And what is up with all the damn snow!? All I had on TV this weekend was French games.

EDIT: His contract is held by MLS and the Sounders, much like Donovan's is held by the league and the Galaxy.

Edited by twbarrett

• 4 months later...

Matt, that's a different player!

.................................doh.gif I was trying to keep TT tidy, Osvaldo is hardly a name you hear every day!

Fuck. Its just going to be that kinda week isnt it?

Edited by Matt

• 7 months later...