IGNORED

To A.v. Or Not To A.v.

Louis

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which voting method would you like to see UK use?

• First past the post
    • Alternative Vote

sorry matt.....but couldnt care less doesnt help or change anything,to sit back and not vote just enables people to criticise all parties.

so what do you do if you dont like any of them? Ive never voted because ive never found a party worth voting for.

Edited by Matt

it is your option matt not to vote....but ive been brought up labour and im sure most of my family are the same theres no way i could vote for anyone else especially now after what the libs have done siding with the cons,the conservatives destroyed industrys in this country the mining communitys worst of all...sorry if iwent on a bit.

my family is too mate, and I agree with all you have said. But labour screwed up (not as bad as Cons have in the past) and, at the end of it all, I just dont trust any of them.

Edited by Matt

I'll be voting no. AV is a load of shite, if PR was on the table then I'd vote yes to that.

Pretty much this, except I'll be voting yes...AV is shite but FPTP is worse. Hopefully (ignoring the fact that the no camp will win at a stroll) change would have led to more change...as it is we'll be stuck with the totally crap system we've got for the next century :angry: .

I'm fifty-one, I've voted at every election (local and national) that I've been able too since I was eighteen and my vote has never counted. Not right.

I'm with Mike. The way I see it is that this will be the only referendum for many years on the procedure. FPTP isn't great, I think AV is slightly better than it, but not ideal.

I see AV as a baby step in the right direction.

Not exactly a big leap from AV to STV though. If the No side succeed you won't have another referendum from 50 years. If AV succeeds then a bit of momentum might build up.

*happily lives in a country that twice rejected Tory-esque dominant party's proposals to abolish PR-STV in favour of FPTP*

AV seems to be obviously a fairer system to me, dont see why you wouldnt vote yes tbh.

It is obviously fairer.....and I'm pretty sure at any other time it would have been voted in with very little problem. The trouble is that the idea of coalition government has been brought into disrepute by the current situation (more by the media coverage of it than the reality imo).

And die hard Labour/Tory voters (more particularly Tory) will never vote for it....it'd be like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

FPTP was just about OK historically when we effectively had a two party system and about 90% of voters went for one or the other....but now only about (I think) 64% of voters are daft enough to vote for them.

I like coalition governments. The best Irish governments have been coalitions, them being the first Inter-Party government and the 1990's Rainbow Coalition. Not including Fianna Fail-led Governments as coalitions as they are usually FF minorities with support from Independents/small FF-breakaway parties.